"Do you believe in a personal God?"

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

A Priest who was introduced to Joseph Campbell asks
: "Are you a Catholic Dr. Campbell?"

Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then asks: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

To which Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Campbell: "If there were Father, what would be the value of faith?"

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."
What do you mean personal god? Delta asked the same question but his seemed rhetorical since he sort of answered it himself. You thanked him for the post so does that mean you agree? With what?

My question is not rhetorical. One can not really ask a question without having a definition for the parts of the question. What is a 'personal god'?
RandomVariable
Since I said I do not understand the personal god thing, I have no idea what defines a personal god. I asked if people who believe in one can explain why they believed in one. They can choose to define their personal god if they choose to, but I am uninterested in that.

My idea of a personal God is based on my belief that I was created by God. That's a personal thing. He thought I deserved to exist. I think of that in personal terms. He gave me the ability to think, contemplate, communicate, pray, hope, etc. Since He thought of me I have the ability to think of Him. Therefore, when I'm experiencing joy or happiness I can thank Him personally. When I'm experiencing tribulation or heartache I can feel comforted in the knowledge that He's in the very room or place I'm at.
I understand your idea of a personal god. I understand you can have personal beliefs about a god you share with others.

Why do you believe in this? I'm serious. I don't understand the why. You believe you were created by god, or by a personal god.

If you could answer where this belief comes from, that would help explain the why

I don't believe in gods of any sort. Especially if asking them for evidence of their existence is met with anger or hostility. Just screams, "Bullshit!" to me.
I don't believe in any and I do so without your anger and hostility. Your answer just about implies you would believe, if only you could ask for evidence without being met with anger and hostility

I don't believe in gods of any sort. Especially if asking them for evidence of their existence is met with anger or hostility. Just screams, "Bullshit!" to me.
I don't believe in any and I do so without your anger and hostility. Your answer just about implies you would believe, if only you could ask for evidence without being met with anger and hostility

If there's evidence belief isn't required. Whether I believe or not in the Sun doesn't matter. I can disbelieve in it all day but not change that I'll get nurned lying out bareskinned to it long enough. If gods exist, their existence should be obvious and overt, not an unsnwerable question, otherwise what's the point? What's the point of a god who never does anything because in actuality it doesn't exist anyway? What's the point in a god that does exist and desires our obediance and worship concealing itself?

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."
Would you please define 'personal god'?
Retract question. I missed the posts that followed.

To use an analogy, this website and others. The ones who sign up and then post are like normal people, the one who read it but don't sign up or post are like gods. If you can follow what's going on and being said and jump down in the muck to offer your two cents, you're like a god. :) But most people aren't and are gonna confirm their existence.

Now try to imagine a real god whose like religions describe. If you have all that power and capability, are you really gonna refrain from periodically confirming you exist and desire worshippers? If I were a god I promise, I'll never leave iot an open-question I exist. Anyone needing a reminder, lemme know. :)

As I've reasoned before, the fact that our alledged deity leaves it a question as to whether it even exists or not is probably by design. Because there is so much room for doubt, that can be thought of as prooof FOR a god, not the non-existence as it would seem to be. Reason being, if you're all-powerful and make no secret about yor existence and wanting various things from human beings, then have no choice but to worship you. If they don't they know they're screwed. But then their worship isn't out of love and agreement with your goals or religion, it's out of simple self-interest and survival. So leaving your existence a question is the only way to go.

Many things science can prove deserve to be thought of as gods. Average star, black holes, etc. But so far, only conscious beings we know of are the animal kingdom including human beings. We don't know of any other 'higher order' being which exists. We have tales and religions describing them, but if they're so real why doesn't science know about them?

If there's evidence belief isn't required.
Only in an abstract argument using logic. People ignore, deny, and disbelieve evidence all the time.

Only in an abstract argument using logic. People ignore, deny, and disbelieve evidence all the time.

Evidence isn't proof. Is evidence of aliens, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster. There's are more evidence for these than and sort of god. :) Doesn't mean they're real though. Bodies usually clinch it. Show me a body of a god or angel or demon and I'll get to church real quick :)

If there's evidence belief isn't required. Whether I believe or not in the Sun doesn't matter. I can disbelieve in it all day but not change that I'll get nurned lying out bareskinned to it long enough. If gods exist, their existence should be obvious and overt, not an unsnwerable question, otherwise what's the point? What's the point of a god who never does anything because in actuality it doesn't exist anyway? What's the point in a god that does exist and desires our obedience and worship concealing itself?

If there's evidence a god exists, belief isn't required. God exists.

I see

We have no obvious and overt evidence either way.

What do you mean personal god? Delta asked the same question but his seemed rhetorical since he sort of answered it himself. You thanked him for the post so does that mean you agree? With what?
Why would thanking somebody for a post imply agreeing with the content of the post? Would you personally never thank anyone you don't agree with?

are you asking if I agree that my own question is a rhetorical question?

I often thank folks who participate in a thread I start whether they agree with me or not. The world would be a better place of folks would/could disagree kindly.
If Dante could have thanked as well as agreed with your post he would have.

I often thank people for the content of their posts. I guess random don't see the choices and realize there is that choice...
"Thank you." "No. Thank you." "No. Thank you." "No. Thank you." :banana2:(please ignore the 'time to die' part. Keep the 'stupid banana' comment though. :biggrin:)

If there's evidence belief isn't required. Whether I believe or not in the Sun doesn't matter. I can disbelieve in it all day but not change that I'll get nurned lying out bareskinned to it long enough. If gods exist, their existence should be obvious and overt, not an unsnwerable question, otherwise what's the point? What's the point of a god who never does anything because in actuality it doesn't exist anyway? What's the point in a god that does exist and desires our obedience and worship concealing itself?

I see

If you believe in something it's because something you accept as reality is known to you. I believe in the Sun because I've been sunburned. I don't believe in gods because I've never had one speak to me when I prayed, or anything else remarkable to convince me they exist. And if theye xist nonetheless they're not worthy of being worshipped or called gods precisely because they don't do anything.

Evidence isn't proof. Is evidence of aliens, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster. There's are more evidence for these than and sort of god. :) Doesn't mean they're real though. Bodies usually clinch it. Show me a body of a god or angel or demon and I'll get to church real quick :)

There is evidence of aliens, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster.

evidence = "the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid."

I see

If you believe in something it's because something you accept as reality is known to you. I believe in the Sun because I've been sunburned. I don't believe in gods because I've never had one speak to me when I prayed, or anything else remarkable to convince me they exist. And if theye xist nonetheless they're not worthy of being worshipped or called gods precisely because they don't do anything.

If a god created everything and then sat back and watched without saying "I exist" in some way...
hmm... belief!

okay. you made your point. can we get back to the OP?

What exactly is a personal God or a no personal God? God is God
The question was posed to people who say they believe in a personal god. If you do, can you say why?

I'm serious about this. read the OP
I talk to God. God talks to me. He is my God. I am his follower. Does than make him my personal God?
I guess if you say so. You are the one saying you have a personal god.

So you believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back and this god is a male?

The question was posed to people who say they believe in a personal god. If you do, can you say why?

I talk to God. God talks to me. He is my God. I am his follower. Does than make him my personal God?

So you believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back and this god is a male?
Finally a rational question!!! I mean that. God is someone (please excuse the use of pronouns) who creates, maintains, and cares for our world. One could apply either gender to such a person.

Finally a rational question!!! I mean that. God is someone (please excuse the use of pronouns) who creates, maintains, and cares for our world. One could apply either gender to such a person.
You are saying you have a personal god.

You believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back

Forum List

Back