Do We Need Religion?

beginning of the 20th century. The dream has been broken into pieces.
Look at the aspects of the 20th century with its highly-developed scientific
civilization. World War I brought us such great calamities and then, a little
later, came the ravages of World War II, and then the continuous 'cold war'
as well as the frequent 'hot wars'.

Hitler was a Catholic. Score for religion :rolleyes:
So, first, science has brought us a sanguinary world. Second, science has
brought to all mankind a world of instability and fear. Think deeply on these
things.

:lol:

As opposed to thousands of years of being afraid that the rain gods would be angry if you didn't offer up a sacrifice?

Of course, science can help make airplanes, and atomic and hydrogen bombs.
But it can never make a good man who will make the best use of science.

That's where instinct, philosophy, and mutual interest come into play.

Where, and who then is going to make a base, depraved, ill-natured man just!

Other men and his own interest.

Where should he go to make himself justified? From this situation arise
religious
concerns.

Like 'god' telling people to commit genocide and conquer Canaan?

Man cannot make himself justified.
secular humanism - Google Search
He must return to the Creator who first
made him.

Demonstrate the existence thereof and that turning to a non-existent deity makes one 'just'.

If man were composed of a body only, he would be happy just to have good food
That does not follow logically

But, as you know, a man is not made up of merely a body.

Demonstrate.

Therefore, the Bible says, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every
word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

Like Deuteronomy 13:5 and 1 Samael 13:2-3? :cuckoo:

You fail again

Roman historian Polybius:
(from Sagan's 'Demon Haunted World')

"Since the masses of the people are inconstant, full of unruly desires, passionate, and reckless of consequences, they must be filled with fears to keep them in order. The Ancients did well, therefore, to invent gods, and the belief in punishment after death."

Awesome!

I LOVE to read about ancient doubters and atheists! Since most x-ians believe that nonbelief is a modern phenomenon.

This is for the ass (Cecilie1200) that left me the following comment for my above:

"Bigots, especially deliberately offensive ones, are equally worthless, no matter what it is they're bigoted against. You don't make yourself look clever by refusing to spell out "Christ". You just look like a rude child picking a fight."

1) big·ot - n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Now doesn't that describe pretty much EVERYONE in the world?! Think about it, if your capable of competent thought outside your own little sphere of idiocy.

2) "It should be noted that this (x-ian) is not inherently any more insulting or denigrating than the word Christian itself - it is just an abbreviation which is common on the internet because it is faster and easier to type."

I wasn't attempting to spell out 'christ', dumb-ass. While the abbreviation is generally used to primarily refer to christians, it is gaining popularity as an all encompassing slang for ALL religions.

3) If you thought my quoting an ancient philosopher was 'like a rude child picking a fight'...I don't see how you can fit anytime into your busy schedule of replying to the hundreds of other posts MUCH more inflammatory than mine for your spiritual devotion. You clearly need to meditate on understanding and forgiveness, you cankerous bastard. Or was the above a simple copy/paste you throw around like so much day old bread?

Chill, partake of a couple of shots of sacrament and kiss my unholy ass!

(Now That's a rude child looking for a fight)

Last edited:
This is for the ass (Cecilie1200) that left me the following comment for my above:

"Bigots, especially deliberately offensive ones, are equally worthless, no matter what it is they're bigoted against. You don't make yourself look clever by refusing to spell out "Christ". You just look like a rude child picking a fight."

1) big·ot - n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Now doesn't that describe pretty much EVERYONE in the world?! Think about it, if your capable of competent thought outside your own little sphere of idiocy.

2) "It should be noted that this (x-ian) is not inherently any more insulting or denigrating than the word Christian itself - it is just an abbreviation which is common on the internet because it is faster and easier to type."

I wasn't attempting to spell out 'christ', dumb-ass. While the abbreviation is generally used to primarily refer to christians, it is gaining popularity as an all encompassing slang for ALL religions.

3) If you thought my quoting an ancient philosopher was 'like a rude child picking a fight'...I don't see how you can fit anytime into your busy schedule of replying to the hundreds of other posts MUCH more inflammatory than mine for your spiritual devotion. You clearly need to meditate on understanding and forgiveness, you cankerous bastard. Or was the above a simple copy/paste you throw around like so much day old bread?

You're right. Someone who publicly pisses and moans about getting negative rep IS a rude child looking for a fight. Have you always been such a whiner?

Just to save you the time and effort of coming back and going, "Cecilie's so mean! She neg-repped me again! Waaahhh!" let me just tell everyone myself that I am now neg-repping you for being a puling, sniveling little kindergartner.

Learn to suck it up and take your lumps like an adult, or go join the Hannah Montana Fan Club message board with the other pre-pubescent children.

You're right. Someone who publicly pisses and moans about getting negative rep IS a rude child looking for a fight. Have you always been such a whiner?

Just to save you the time and effort of coming back and going, "Cecilie's so mean! She neg-repped me again! Waaahhh!" let me just tell everyone myself that I am now neg-repping you for being a puling, sniveling little kindergartner.

Learn to suck it up and take your lumps like an adult, or go join the Hannah Montana Fan Club message board with the other pre-pubescent children.

Speaking of sucking it up...All that name calling and judging isn't very understanding, forgiving and christian of you. And thank you for making my points for me. That most religious people are nothing more than hypocritical bigots themselves and don't truely follow their belief structure. Also, an Actual definition of bigotry, 'x-ian', and historical Fact; the very things that you refused to acknowlege, show's that you have no rebuttal. You just give your 'bigotted' opinion.

And if I'm going to be accused of something (being rude), I'll show what rudeness can be.

Do we humans need religions?

Sure, unless scientists can prove that soul never exists after death. Or perhaps till our own self deception tells us that an after life never exists.

Actually, "after life never exists" is just a form of religion, a religion adapted by the atheists basing on faith, and without evidence. To simply put, "after life never exists" is a faith based statement.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back