Do salaries of government reflect US citizens?

LittleNipper

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2013
•Congress members (Representatives and Senators): $174,000
•Senate and House Majority/Minority Leaders: $193,400
•Cabinet members: $199,700
•Speaker of the House: $223,500
•Vice President: $230,700
•President: $400,000

The bottom line is that I feel that our government is totally out of touch with average citizens. The salaries above do not in the least expose all the ADDITIONAL perks these individuals acquire as a result of their power & prestige. They have the best of free healthcare and transportation and protection and luncheons/dinners and insider reports, and pensions. Is it any wonder that they are unable to balance a budget or spend wisely. They even vote for their own raises. They have become an embarrassment to the term capitalism, with their air of royal superiority over the "peasantry." Government of the people has evolved into government in spite of the people. All of these individuals owe their election to the hard work of volunteers and sponging off the general public for donations to their cause (or might we say election). Perhaps the only solution is a general revolt, but I fear that would only establish a far more evil regime. However, this insult to the American public simply cannot continue. Do we need a second American Revolution or another Civil War? What other choice is there --- we have had both Democrats and Republicans in office. Neither has voted in a wage decrease (they feel they are far too important).

Last edited:
I think that salary rates should reflect approval numbers. Right now the approval rating of Congress is only 13%.

Equivalent jobs?

Hell they don't work, they just put each other down and blame each other and past Presidents for all the problems.

Sounds like the USMB and we get nothing and some of us pay.

I think that salary rates should reflect approval numbers. Right now the approval rating of Congress is only 13%.

The re-election rate of Congress members should be about as low as the approval ratings. If it's not (and it's not), it's a failure of US citizen intelligence.

What would you say the comparable private sector jobs are for congress and the president?

What is the salary of a public servant? Are they in it for the money, glory, power, or for the love of their country? Do we really desire career politicians or honorable citizens working for the good of their neighbors.

The bottom line is that I feel that our government is totally out of touch with average citizens. The salaries above do not in the least expose all the ADDITIONAL perks these individuals acquire as a result of their power & prestige. They have the best of free healthcare and transportation and protection and luncheons/dinners and insider reports, and pensions. Is it any wonder that they are unable to balance a budget or spend wisely. They even vote for their own raises. They have become an embarrassment to the term capitalism, with their air of royal superiority over the "peasantry." Government of the people has evolved into government in spite of the people. All of these individuals owe their election to the hard work of volunteers and sponging off the general public for donations to their cause (or might we say election). Perhaps the only solution is a general revolt, but I fear that would only establish a far more evil regime. However, this insult to the American public simply cannot continue. Do we need a second American Revolution or another Civil War? What other choice is there --- we have had both Democrats and Republicans in office. Neither has voted in a wage decrease (they feel they are far too important).
There is certainly some truth in what you're saying. However, we do not have the best and brightness leading our country. They're in private business making millions. Paying our leaders less is not going to draw more talented people into government service and will certainly have almost no impact on the countries financial problems.

There is certainly some truth in what you're saying. However, we do not have the best and brightness leading our country. They're in private business making millions. Paying our leaders less is not going to draw more talented people into government service and will certainly have almost no impact on the countries financial problems.

Aren't you leaving out past and present?

What would you say the comparable private sector jobs are for congress and the president?

Hard for me to think of one which would compare to congress. I looked up the average days worked by congress per year and they are working about 180 days a year. Soldier's, firefighters, teachers, police work far harder and is paid a lot less whild putting so much more on the line to include their lives.

2010 vacation schedule:

January 1st-January 12: 1 1/2 weeks
February 15th-February 19th: 1 week
March 29th-April 12th: 2 weeks
May 31st-June 4th: 1 week
July 5th-July 9th: 1 week
August 9th-Sept 12th: 5 weeks.
October 11th-December 31st: 12 weeks.

So that is 23.5 weeks not in session.

The re-election rate of Congress members should be about as low as the approval ratings. If it's not (and it's not), it's a failure of US citizen intelligence.

I feel for far too long the American citizens have been faced with voting for the lesser to two evils. The Democrats spend, spend, spend. The Republicans leave everything as they find it (it's called status quo). I'm a conservative and see both as liberals painted different color power mongers...

What is the salary of a public servant? Are they in it for the money, glory, power, or for the love of their country? Do we really desire career politicians or honorable citizens working for the good of their neighbors.

The only real public servants who are in it for love of their country, and NOT the money, glory, and power are those that serve in the U.S. Military.

The best and brightest at what exactly? Croney/nepotism -- padding one's earnings, lying, cheating, stealing, hiding the facts. Do you not imagine that big business makes millions by paying off political officials with donations? A stupid person has to be honest or he will be exposed. A slick wolf will be able to hide his intensions until it is too late... Pay the teachers more and do we get better educated students? No, we get well off teachers who live in the best neighborhoods and send their kids to private schools. Pay higher healthcare primiums and do we get better healthcare? No, we get worse healthcare, longer waiting, and no house calls. The love of money is the root of evil.

Last edited:

This is the problem. Essentially these people secure their power in various ways so that it boils down to most liking their representative, but abhoring the rest. Much of the problem stems from Congress taking control of our purse strings via the Federal Income tax and subsequent looting of the treasury for their specific districts.

At the state level, all is good with the world because the money coming in is from the state and would go back to the state, as was originally designed. However, now we have states fighting over money that the basically should have no rights to that have come from the 49 other states. In the end, the Congressmen with the most political power end up with more of the loot.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;6609126 said:

Hard for me to think of one which would compare to congress. I looked up the average days worked by congress per year and they are working about 180 days a year. Soldier's, firefighters, teachers, police work far harder and is paid a lot less whild putting so much more on the line to include their lives.

2010 vacation schedule:

January 1st-January 12: 1 1/2 weeks
February 15th-February 19th: 1 week
March 29th-April 12th: 2 weeks
May 31st-June 4th: 1 week
July 5th-July 9th: 1 week
August 9th-Sept 12th: 5 weeks.
October 11th-December 31st: 12 weeks.

So that is 23.5 weeks not in session.

It's a great gig.
Light work schedule,excellent salary plus benefits add some nice perks I'm sure.
All of them walk away at some point with a small fortune put away.

Hey we elect them.I don't know how we can bitch about what they earn.

They should all be fired is what they should be. All of them.

And you get the opportunity to do that every few years. Amazingly few actually do get fired...so it's usually "that state's guy" that needs to be fired.

I thought that about all the Wall Street fucks that actually crashed this economy. I thought every one of them should have been indicted. They got golden parachutes instead.

We will still draw the best and brightest for Congress, Cabinet posts and Supreme Court. Those are power positions and have people who would do it for free

The problem is drawing people to work for them. These are the best and brightest who actually do all the legwork in setting policy. Drawing top people to executive positions that pay less than $174,000 when comparable positions in the private sector pay in excess of a million is difficult.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back