Do salaries of government reflect US citizens?

Can you share the link with us please. Thanks.

You forgot FERS. That is in addition to SS. It is 1% of the average of your high three earning years x the number of years you have worked. For over 10 or 20 years of employment, I don't recall which, there is a multiplier of 1.5%. SS may be just that, but FERS considerably increases their retirement pay. AND they can put money into what is called the Thrift Savings Plan. The government matches the first 2% of their salary dollar for dollar and the next 1% 50c on the dollar. Who else do you know who is getting 100% interest on their investments? Or even 50%? At retirement they can roll this over into an IRA or use it to purchase an annuity. And they get their health insurance for what the federal employees pay which is considerably lower than any medigap insurance out there.

FERS Computation

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

Insurance Benefits

Basically, there is a three tiered retirement plan. Social Security, FERS and TSP

FERS is like you say (and I posted earlier ) one percent of your high three salary for every year. In my example that would be around $34,000 after twenty years . You contribute 1.3% of your salary above what you pay into SS
TSP is identical to a 401K. You contribute into it and receive matching contributions on up to 5% of your salary ( around $6000 a year)
No different than anyone else who works for the Federal Government.

No, they take 1% of your salary every year for FERS. The average of the high 3 thing is how your benefit is figured. You can turn your "identical to a 401K" into an annuity by using it to purchase one. I posted the OPM websites. You can't really read can you.

You forgot FERS. That is in addition to SS. It is 1% of the average of your high three earning years x the number of years you have worked. For over 10 or 20 years of employment, I don't recall which, there is a multiplier of 1.5%. SS may be just that, but FERS considerably increases their retirement pay. AND they can put money into what is called the Thrift Savings Plan. The government matches the first 2% of their salary dollar for dollar and the next 1% 50c on the dollar. Who else do you know who is getting 100% interest on their investments? Or even 50%? At retirement they can roll this over into an IRA or use it to purchase an annuity. And they get their health insurance for what the federal employees pay which is considerably lower than any medigap insurance out there.

FERS Computation

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

Insurance Benefits

Basically, there is a three tiered retirement plan. Social Security, FERS and TSP

FERS is like you say (and I posted earlier ) one percent of your high three salary for every year. In my example that would be around $34,000 after twenty years . You contribute 1.3% of your salary above what you pay into SS
TSP is identical to a 401K. You contribute into it and receive matching contributions on up to 5% of your salary ( around $6000 a year)
No different than anyone else who works for the Federal Government.

No, they take 1% of your salary every year for FERS. The average of the high 3 thing is how your benefit is figured. You can turn your "identical to a 401K" into an annuity by using it to purchase one. I posted the OPM websites. You can't really read can you.

The TSP is your money......you can do what you want with it
Same as a 401k

The way congress is working ( which is NOT much) I think we need a refund. Reid has not even put a budget in almost 4 years. If he had done this in a private sector job he would be FIRED.. But no. The stupid people in NV keep putting his sorry ass back in office

Shithead, I make over $100,000 and I have a BA, MA and MBA......shut the fuck up.

I'm talking about scum like you doing meaningless work in the Department of Education making $60K for no reason.

I joined the military during college asswipe, I could have made more money as a lawyer or businessman if I went that route over 20 years ago. I am now in the private sector making money with the military benefits while you are mad I have more than you, shithead.

Liberals talk shit about money spent on the military with the free healthcare and their paychecks, all the while Democraps have created more expensive Govt GS jobs in DC that typically start out at $60K doing meaningless work in the Department of Education, HHS, etc.

You see it isn't ok for some guy to make $30K in the Army doing 6 months in Afghanistan each year, but is a-ok for liberals to create $60K/year cushy jobs for their kind pushing paper in DC in an office of 100 other lazy ass swine doing the same job.

It's all about personal responsibility. If you had the education and ability you too could have a job in the public sector and earn the 60k in a "cushy job" (a job whose detail you know nothing about). If you had you might not be so green with envy and filled with hate for others. Since you seem to think 60k is lots of money I must infer you work for less, and that's on you not on anyone else.

Last edited:
Shithead, I make over $100,000 and I have a BA, MA and MBA......shut the fuck up.

I might believe you, but 1) this is the Internet and you can claim anything; 2) I've read your posts and you are so filled with hate I can't imagine anyone would put up with you; and 3) nothing you post suggests any indication you've learned anything about human nature.

I'm talking about scum like you doing meaningless work in the Department of Education making $60K for no reason.

Thanks for proving #3 above.

I joined the military during college asswipe, I could have made more money as a lawyer or businessman if I went that route over 20 years ago. I am now in the private sector making money with the military benefits while you are mad I have more than you, shithead.

Don't be so sure. I joined the Navy in '67 and upon separation returned to college. I then worked for 32 years as a LEO and retired with full management benefits in one of the higher paying regions of our country. I also use language without needing to resort to vulgarity to make a point.

Liberals talk shit about money spent on the military with the free healthcare and their paychecks, all the while Democraps have created more expensive Govt GS jobs in DC that typically start out at $60K doing meaningless work in the Department of Education, HHS, etc.

You see it isn't ok for some guy to make $30K in the Army doing 6 months in Afghanistan each year, but is a-ok for liberals to create $60K/year cushy jobs for their kind pushing paper in DC in an office of 100 other lazy ass swine doing the same job.

It's all about personal responsibility. If you had the education and ability you too could have a job in the public sector and earn the 60k in a "cushy job" (a job whose detail you know nothing about). If you had you might not be so green with envy and filled with hate for others. Since you seem to think 60k is lots of money I must infer you work for less, and that's on you not on anyone else.

Work without meaning is having an MBA which in many cases means a job moving other peoples money around and taking a percentage of that persons labor. See, I too can make judgments about people whose job I know little about; the difference between me and you, I know that's unfair and I recognize how petty such self righteousness is.

Where in the Constitution is education a right to be paid for by government?

General Welfare Clause

Then you dont understand what a 'right' is.

Let me give you a little hint - general welfare does not confer any right to anyone. It gives congress the ability to do things that they see as a need or a good for the country, not make random shit a right.

At least, that is how the left defines the general welfare clause. Education is NOT a right. Education is a competitive necessity if we mean to continue to be a wealthy nation but that does not make it a right.

General Welfare Clause

Then you dont understand what a 'right' is.

Let me give you a little hint - general welfare does not confer any right to anyone. It gives congress the ability to do things that they see as a need or a good for the country, not make random shit a right.

At least, that is how the left defines the general welfare clause. Education is NOT a right. Education is a competitive necessity if we mean to continue to be a wealthy nation but that does not make it a right.

Yup

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes ... to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States ..." (Art. I, Sec. 8, clause 1).

The Congress has these Powers; the Congress can decide to exercise them or not. Making clear that the Congress can fund education, the military (with limitations imposed by clause 12 of Article I, sec 8) and to pay or not pay the debt.

P.S. Clause 18 expands the power to make "all Laws which shall be necessary and proper ..."

Last edited:
•Congress members (Representatives and Senators): $174,000
•Senate and House Majority/Minority Leaders: $193,400
•Cabinet members: $199,700
•Speaker of the House: $223,500
•Vice President: $230,700
•President: $400,000

The bottom line is that I feel that our government is totally out of touch with average citizens. The salaries above do not in the least expose all the ADDITIONAL perks these individuals acquire as a result of their power & prestige. They have the best of free healthcare and transportation and protection and luncheons/dinners and insider reports, and pensions. Is it any wonder that they are unable to balance a budget or spend wisely. They even vote for their own raises. They have become an embarrassment to the term capitalism, with their air of royal superiority over the "peasantry." Government of the people has evolved into government in spite of the people. All of these individuals owe their election to the hard work of volunteers and sponging off the general public for donations to their cause (or might we say election). Perhaps the only solution is a general revolt, but I fear that would only establish a far more evil regime. However, this insult to the American public simply cannot continue. Do we need a second American Revolution or another Civil War? What other choice is there --- we have had both Democrats and Republicans in office. Neither has voted in a wage decrease (they feel they are far too important).

We don't need a revolution or a civil war - only fools suggest such a course of action. We need to do several doable things, including:
1. Providing the best possible education to our kids;
2. Real reform of how we run elections (repeal CU v. FEC);
3. Real reform of how members of Congress are lobbied;
4. Single issue legislation - no riders
5. Protect public officials from libel and slander, criminalize such behavior.

The issue is that the government controls public education. They want soldiers not thinkers. If this were not the case opening excercises of Bible reading would be reinstated. You may believe that there is a separation of Church and State, but where education is concerned, there should be a drive to get students to THINK. Are ALL decissions equally good? No. Is there right and wrong? Yes. But try to express such things in a public school and suddenly everyone's feelings get hurt. There is no rational though only acceptance. The most obvious sign of this fact is the belief that homosexuality is equal to herterosexual relations and worthy of marriage. No one (not even homosexuals) would have considered this anything but a very bad joke even 40 years ago. Today, we are told to accept it. Why? Because the government wishes it as a way to gain votes.

The bottom line is that I feel that our government is totally out of touch with average citizens. The salaries above do not in the least expose all the ADDITIONAL perks these individuals acquire as a result of their power & prestige. They have the best of free healthcare and transportation and protection and luncheons/dinners and insider reports, and pensions. Is it any wonder that they are unable to balance a budget or spend wisely. They even vote for their own raises. They have become an embarrassment to the term capitalism, with their air of royal superiority over the "peasantry." Government of the people has evolved into government in spite of the people. All of these individuals owe their election to the hard work of volunteers and sponging off the general public for donations to their cause (or might we say election). Perhaps the only solution is a general revolt, but I fear that would only establish a far more evil regime. However, this insult to the American public simply cannot continue. Do we need a second American Revolution or another Civil War? What other choice is there --- we have had both Democrats and Republicans in office. Neither has voted in a wage decrease (they feel they are far too important).

We don't need a revolution or a civil war - only fools suggest such a course of action. We need to do several doable things, including:
1. Providing the best possible education to our kids;
2. Real reform of how we run elections (repeal CU v. FEC);
3. Real reform of how members of Congress are lobbied;
4. Single issue legislation - no riders
5. Protect public officials from libel and slander, criminalize such behavior.

The issue is that the government controls public education. They want soldiers not thinkers. If this were not the case opening excercises of Bible reading would be reinstated. You may believe that there is a separation of Church and State, but where education is concerned, there should be a drive to get students to THINK. Are ALL decissions equally good? No. Is there right and wrong? Yes. But try to express such things in a public school and suddenly everyone's feelings get hurt. There is no rational though only acceptance. The most obvious sign of this fact is the belief that homosexuality is equal to herterosexual relations and worthy of marriage. No one (not even homosexuals) would have considered this anything but a very bad joke even 40 years ago. Today, we are told to accept it. Why? Because the government wishes it as a way to gain votes.

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall

There is certainly some truth in what you're saying. However, we do not have the best and brightness leading our country. They're in private business making millions. Paying our leaders less is not going to draw more talented people into government service and will certainly have almost no impact on the countries financial problems.

The best and brightest at what exactly? Croney/nepotism -- padding one's earnings, lying, cheating, stealing, hiding the facts. Do you not imagine that big business makes millions by paying off political officials with donations? A stupid person has to be honest or he will be exposed. A slick wolf will be able to hide his intensions until it is too late... Pay the teachers more and do we get better educated students? No, we get well off teachers who live in the best neighborhoods and send their kids to private schools. Pay higher healthcare primiums and do we get better healthcare? No, we get worse healthcare, longer waiting, and no house calls. The love of money is the root of evil.
Of course high pay does not mean we will have more dedicated and honest people. It does mean we will have more people with better skills applying for government jobs and running for office.

IMHO, most people that run for office or accept jobs as leaders in government do so because they really want to make our country better. The problem is Washington, not the people we send there. We continually send people to Washington only to be disappointed. The problem is not with the people, it's the system. We should begin changing the system by changing our election and lobbying laws. Candidates should not have unlimited amounts of money from corporate and special interest groups to conduct their campaigns. Business and special interest groups should have no more influence on our elected officials than you or I. The current laws that allow lobbyists to write our laws and buy votes for those laws have got to be changed or nothing in Washington will ever change.

I don't have a problem with those salaries, but outside of proper security for ex-Presidents and VP's, I have a problem with the post-term benefits.

Serve your term (which should be limited), get the fuck out, get a job, no goodies after you serve. You aren't royalty.

Why should a politician go into office an average guy but leave a millionaire? Were did this money come from? Why should they have more than they were paid? Deals under the table? It seems that CEOs know how to make money and earn a big wage for themselves, but when it comes to paying the worker --- they'd rather deal with China. Look at all the companies that have been destroyed by CEOs who knew how to send jobs abroad. And they still earn hefty salaries. Where has it gotten this country?

Last edited:

I don't have a problem with those salaries, but outside of proper security for ex-Presidents and VP's, I have a problem with the post-term benefits.

Serve your term (which should be limited), get the fuck out, get a job, no goodies after you serve. You aren't royalty.

Why should a politician go into office an average guy but leave a millionaire? Were did this money come from? Why should they have more than they were paid? Deals under the table? It seems that CEOs know how to make money and earn a big wage for themselves, but when it comes to paying the worker --- they'd rather deal with China. Look at all the companies that have been destroyed by CEOs who knew how to send jobs abroad. And they still earn hefty salaries. Where has it gotten this country?
In 2011 there were 245 millionaires in Congress and I would guess that most all of them were millionaires when they entered office. I really doubt that there have been that many congressmen that made millions in office that weren't already doing so before they entered office. I think after leaving office many ex-congressmen are able to make a lot of money due to the contacts they have made in office.

From Congresses record of bills passed you wouldn't think Congressmen are that busy but they are. Being a congressman is a full time job that requires you to set aside most other work.

General Welfare Clause

BS and you know it.
Since the United States is specifically defined constitutionally as made up of the States THEMSELVES, the general welfare clause applies to the States AS A WHOLE and not the people.
The rights of the People are CLEARLY spelled out and defined in the Constitution.
The US Constitution addresses SPECIFIC entities throughout the document.
The People as an entity are only addressed 2 times in the entire document and in NO case does the general welfare clause apply to the People specifically.
And you know it.
However, the Constitution DOES SPECIFICALLY define rights which are to be retained by the People as in the 10th Amendment as just one example.
And the general welfare is not anywhere in the Constitution as defined to be People or the individual.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes ... to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States ..." (Art. I, Sec. 8, clause 1).

The Congress has these Powers; the Congress can decide to exercise them or not. Making clear that the Congress can fund education, the military (with limitations imposed by clause 12 of Article I, sec 8) and to pay or not pay the debt.

P.S. Clause 18 expands the power to make "all Laws which shall be necessary and proper ..."

The Constitution clearly states that defense is to be funded.
Where is education clearly defined to be funded?

General Welfare Clause

BS and you know it.
Since the United States is specifically defined constitutionally as made up of the States THEMSELVES, the general welfare clause applies to the States AS A WHOLE and not the people.
The rights of the People are CLEARLY spelled out and defined in the Constitution.
The People as an entity are only addressed 2 times in the entire document and in NO case does the general welfare clause apply to the People specifically.
And you know it.
However, the Constitution DOES SPECIFICALLY define rights which are to be retained by the People as in the 10th Amendment as just one example.
And the general welfare is not anywhere in the Constitution as defined to be People or the individual.

Interesting theory

Now, where in the Constitution does it authorize us to have more than 13 States? There is nothing in the Constitution that says we can add states

General Welfare Clause

BS and you know it.
And you know it.

Interesting theory

Now, where in the Constitution does it authorize us to have more than 13 States? There is nothing in the Constitution that says we can add states

Article IV, Section 3 CLEARLY defines that.
Starts off with "new States may be admitted by the Congress into this union....."
I suggest you study your Constitution before you ask another foolish question.

Now you can continue with your side step, slant, twist, distort and hide the fact that NO WHERE in the Constitution is it DEFINED that education is a function of government.
No where.

There is certainly some truth in what you're saying. However, we do not have the best and brightness leading our country. They're in private business making millions. Paying our leaders less is not going to draw more talented people into government service and will certainly have almost no impact on the countries financial problems.

The best and brightest at what exactly? Croney/nepotism -- padding one's earnings, lying, cheating, stealing, hiding the facts. Do you not imagine that big business makes millions by paying off political officials with donations? A stupid person has to be honest or he will be exposed. A slick wolf will be able to hide his intensions until it is too late... Pay the teachers more and do we get better educated students? No, we get well off teachers who live in the best neighborhoods and send their kids to private schools. Pay higher healthcare primiums and do we get better healthcare? No, we get worse healthcare, longer waiting, and no house calls. The love of money is the root of evil.
Of course high pay does not mean we will have more dedicated and honest people. It does mean we will have more people with better skills applying for government jobs and running for office.

IMHO, most people that run for office or accept jobs as leaders in government do so because they really want to make our country better. The problem is Washington, not the people we send there. We continually send people to Washington only to be disappointed. The problem is not with the people, it's the system. We should begin changing the system by changing our election and lobbying laws. Candidates should not have unlimited amounts of money from corporate and special interest groups to conduct their campaigns. Business and special interest groups should have no more influence on our elected officials than you or I. The current laws that allow lobbyists to write our laws and buy votes for those laws have got to be changed or nothing in Washington will ever change.

People are the system.

What would you say the comparable private sector jobs are for congress and the president?

What is the salary of a public servant? Are they in it for the money, glory, power, or for the love of their country? Do we really desire career politicians or honorable citizens working for the good of their neighbors.

The only real public servants who are in it for love of their country, and NOT the money, glory, and power are those that serve in the U.S. Military.

Bullshit.

I love and respect our military, but if they stopped paying them, or cut their pay in half, the majority would get out as soon as possible.

And you can't honestly think some peopel dont join the military for the power and thrill of it?

Not to mention...a large segment of our non-combat military has literally turned into a welfare state itself.

Forum List

Back