Do people lack imagination?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Most TV shows are reality, police, and medical shows. Why isn't there more science fiction and fantasy on TV? Are people really that boring when it comes to TV and books?

Most TV shows are reality, police, and medical shows. Why isn't there more science fiction and fantasy on TV? Are people really that boring when it comes to TV and books?

Most people outgrow fantasy and science fiction by the time they are twelve. People mature.

I'm confused. The title says "imagination" and then the OP immediately goes to "TV".
Those are polar opposites.

Well, I prefer the police, crime shows, etc. to watching the dipshit brainless talk shows and God knows I can't stand the soap operas. At least there's something gained by seeing the various sciences available to police as compared to nothing but fingerprints of yesteryear. There's essentially nothing much worth watching on the national channels and channels such as the history channels have been reduced to moonshiners, hoarders, pawn brokers, and such.

I enjoy a wide range of movies and I want books that I can hold in my hands and that actually have something to say.

They usually go in cycles

western, detective, sci-fy, police, lawyer, etc

westerns haven't been overly popular the last decade or so

last year or so been more than a few supernatural shows.

Crime shows are very smart.
Maybe too smart - gives people ideas......

Dear JakeWIlls92
1. People have imagination and creativity, but it is often not tapped, developed or directed constructively.
There are plenty of writers and writing groups, you can go online and find any number of websites,
clubs, self-published authors with their own books, meetup groups for writers and producers.

Whenever I taught in schools, regardless of the age of the students, there were always more ideas waiting to be produced than could be followed up on. If anything I found too much talent and not enough support to produce it all as finished CD, finished movies, finished books or art shows, etc. People are just not organized, but the creativity and resources are out there.

2. for the shows that get produced on TV, there is a whole system for getting work and shows set up.
Series have to be funded and filmed months in advance. There is a lot of financial and advertising/media
planning that goes into marketing so the funds are there for production and promotion. It's a whole industry.

There is a gap between the writing talent on the grassroots level and the massive work it takes to get it produced.

Fortunately, the internet, the access to software and ability to design and produce independently has skyrocketed compared to limited ability in the past.

So in the future, as people become more organized, we should see more work get produced from bottom to top. We should see unilateral use of the internet to see production work and not depend only on major networks and cable stations to make those decisions of what gets produced or not.

People are using online websites, meeting venues, etc. to support other writers and producers.
We may not see the fruit of all these labors and talents yet, but by the time the garden blooms,
there is way more talent and stories to be told than the national media can hold. Maybe the internet can!

If you want to see more artists and writers get their work out, why not adopt a project?
Help one writer match up with one artist to produce a graphic novel and pitch it as a movie or series.

Some art sites with fantastic work are deviantart.com and worth1000.com is moving to
designcrowd and daggerbay.

For writing groups, look up meetup.com and you can see tons of groups in every city for writers, for artists, etc. to support each other getting films, stories, books, etc. produced

There are websites set up for combining art and activism, and fundraising for good causes.

The talent you are looking for may not be out there yet, you may have to go find it.
If you find a story you like, form a team and help with fundraising online to get it produced.
Crowdrise and Gofundme are popular crowdfunding sites people use to produce their own projects.

I'm combining one of my pet projects with two other people to create a cartoon series.
Anyone can form teams and produce local writers or artists in their communities IRL or online.

The internet is helping to facilitate the democratization of media and open the door for anyone to produce work. See also the Indie Media sites. People are using the internet to organize and fund their own media.

I've wondered why there isn't more really good scifi on TV and movies and I think it's because it's gotten too hi tech.

Well The Expanse and Game of Thrones have really serious themes.
Not familiar with "The Expanse".

th

Don't you think some people are more naturally creative than others.
Some people always seem to come up with neat ideas - on how to teach, or present something.
Is it effort - or a gift?

Come back and answer your own question after you've talked with bode or dots for about 10 minutes.

Don't you think some people are more naturally creative than others.
Some people always seem to come up with neat ideas - on how to teach, or present something.
Is it effort - or a gift?

90% perspiration, 10% inspiration

Dear JakeWIlls92
1. People have imagination and creativity, but it is often not tapped, developed or directed constructively.
There are plenty of writers and writing groups, you can go online and find any number of websites,
clubs, self-published authors with their own books, meetup groups for writers and producers.

Whenever I taught in schools, regardless of the age of the students, there were always more ideas waiting to be produced than could be followed up on. If anything I found too much talent and not enough support to produce it all as finished CD, finished movies, finished books or art shows, etc. People are just not organized, but the creativity and resources are out there.

2. for the shows that get produced on TV, there is a whole system for getting work and shows set up.
Series have to be funded and filmed months in advance. There is a lot of financial and advertising/media
planning that goes into marketing so the funds are there for production and promotion. It's a whole industry.

There is a gap between the writing talent on the grassroots level and the massive work it takes to get it produced.

Fortunately, the internet, the access to software and ability to design and produce independently has skyrocketed compared to limited ability in the past.

So in the future, as people become more organized, we should see more work get produced from bottom to top. We should see unilateral use of the internet to see production work and not depend only on major networks and cable stations to make those decisions of what gets produced or not.

People are using online websites, meeting venues, etc. to support other writers and producers.
We may not see the fruit of all these labors and talents yet, but by the time the garden blooms,
there is way more talent and stories to be told than the national media can hold. Maybe the internet can!

If you want to see more artists and writers get their work out, why not adopt a project?
Help one writer match up with one artist to produce a graphic novel and pitch it as a movie or series.

Some art sites with fantastic work are deviantart.com and worth1000.com is moving to
designcrowd and daggerbay.

For writing groups, look up meetup.com and you can see tons of groups in every city for writers, for artists, etc. to support each other getting films, stories, books, etc. produced

There are websites set up for combining art and activism, and fundraising for good causes.

The talent you are looking for may not be out there yet, you may have to go find it.
If you find a story you like, form a team and help with fundraising online to get it produced.
Crowdrise and Gofundme are popular crowdfunding sites people use to produce their own projects.

I'm combining one of my pet projects with two other people to create a cartoon series.
Anyone can form teams and produce local writers or artists in their communities IRL or online.

The internet is helping to facilitate the democratization of media and open the door for anyone to produce work. See also the Indie Media sites. People are using the internet to organize and fund their own media.

If you make an independent film how do you get it distributed on a wide basis?

Most people outgrow fantasy and science fiction by the time they are twelve. People mature.

Read or watch Game of Thrones. Also check out The Expanse. Those are hardly what I call childish.

Forum List

Back