Do Liberals support third trimester abortions?

I'm not a liberal in any sense, but am often called one because I don't vote on republican party lines (the party is far too liberal for me) so I'll answer.

There should be no such thing as a 3rd trimester abortion, a baby can be born by sesection and live starting at the 3rd trimester so an abortion is pointless.

Personally, I abhor the idea of abortion

But the cat is out of the bag and we will never go back to a pre-1970 view of abortion. Even if it were banned in certain states, women could still go to those states or Canada to get an abortion. It then becomes a case where rich women have access to a safe abortion and poor women don't.

To me the best option is to reduce the need for abortion by pushing planned parenthood, sex education, low cost/ free prenatal care for mothers, liberal adoption rules and low cost child care so that it is easier for a mother to keep her child

Interesting, there seem to be some supporters yet none of them will simply state that they support third trimester abortions. They are rather sick if you ask me and late term abortions are nothing short of legalized murder of children. I support a woman's right to choose but also believe in the responsibility of an individual to be aware and prevent a pregnancy from developing that far before terminating. If you wait past the first trimester then you're stuck and you need to deal with the repercussions of your actions.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people agree. There is always political grandstanding going on with politicians jumping on one side or the other but the fact is that most people are happy with the laws as they exist. Third trimester abortions are illegal in almost all instances (there are some places that are lacking but...) and you can get one easily in the first trimester. The politics are a joke because the right to choose and the limits set on the times that you can choose are not going anywhere. The right is not going to make abortion illegal and the left is not going to open it up. In either case, it would be instant political suicide. For the most part, all people want to hear is that you agree personally, not that you are going to do anything about it. All you have to do to see this is watch what a politician does when asked the all important question. Typically they do a lot of dogging and virtually never talk about specific laws. The rare exception to this is talking about outlawing later term abortions and most people agree with that anyway.

It has nothing to do with anything that changes.

Three months seems like enough time to shit or get off the pot to me.

Exactly!

And I just laugh when people say they didn't realize they were pregnant. Is it normal to feel like your boobs are being stabbed, you are going to throw up all the time, and to smell sour milk from a mile away?
Tune In : I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant : Discovery Health
That is a case of being irresponsible. Of you are having sex then you can get pregnant, period. Get a test. They cost little to nothing and are easy enough to administer.
Just curious about this.

What gives YOU the right to tell ANYBODY what they can do with their OWN body?

I thought people like you hated the NANNNY STATE GOVERNMENT limiting your personal FREEDOM.

But aren't you limiting woman's freedom to decide what they can do with their own bodies?

Well?

Aren't you?

Here's my advise to you.

If you don't believe in abortions?

Don't have one.

Other than that?

Mind you own fucking business.

:rofl:

Nice rant.

Misplaced, but nice.

Oh, and what gives you the right to tell me what questions I'm allowed to ask anyway?

If you don't want to give an answer, don't

Other than that, mind your own fucking business. :lol:

When you start telling people what they can do with their OWN BODIES, it's everybody's business.
So, that would be a 'yes' you do support third trimester abortions. I guess you have some reasoning behind this? What would that be?
Why 1st trimester?

What changes?

It looks more like a baby for one. ;)

Along with a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now. After twenty two weeks the baby can survive.

Addressed in another thread

☭proletarian☭;1826986 said:
Viability isn't really a set point or all that useful, as technological improvements allow us to save preemies that would have died ten or twenty years ago and there's always the possibility of a child developing slowly or having a medical condition that must be treated after birth to ensure survival. Thus, I find the concept of 'viability' to be of limited usefulness. Additionally, a child with no midbrain or real head, but with a functioning brainstem can be 'viable' in that the brainstem can ensure that the heart and lungs function, yet we're dealing with a creature that has no consciousness- not only it effectively braindead, it never was and never will be aware of its own existence. This is why I think we should focus on consciousness and and the earliest point at which a conscious mind appears to develop.
WOW, you dug that up!! There were a lot of posts in that thread. Anyway, the consensus that most of us came to in that thread was based on brain development and that is where it is for me. Around that time you get the separate portions of the brain joining together and the first real possibility for higher thought comes out. Granted, there are things in that process that keep conscious thought depressed but the mechanism that actually makes us human comes together at that point.

But the cat is out of the bag and we will never go back to a pre-1970 view of abortion. Even if it were banned in certain states, women could still go to those states or Canada to get an abortion. It then becomes a case where rich women have access to a safe abortion and poor women don't.

To me the best option is to reduce the need for abortion by pushing planned parenthood, sex education, low cost/ free prenatal care for mothers, liberal adoption rules and low cost child care so that it is easier for a mother to keep her child

Certainly, but that does not address the OP's question. Dou you support open ended abortion at any time or limits placed on abortion based on the stage of development?

It is worth pointing out that health risks may require an abortion at any stage and that is beside the point. While I do not support optional abortion in the third trimester I think most would be willing to accept IDLH as an acceptable reason for an abortion.

Just curious. For the extremos, any restrictions on a woman's right to choose are anti liberal.

Yes, it's clear they do. It's called partial birth abortion.

They go into the uterous, turn the baby around, bring it out feet first up to the chin, shove a sharp tube through the back of the skull and vacuum out the brain.

The doctor has to be carefull not to drop the baby, as it's alive, and kicking, when it comes out.

but if it does fall our the doc uses scissors and cuts the spinal cord, murdering the human, living baby.

but hey, it's the mothers right.

I've always wondered the point of these never-to-happen hypotheticals. A baby can live in the beginning of the 3rd trimester, so unless both a natural birth and a sesection would both cause certain or near certain death I dunno why anyone would support one.

Would you ride a unicorn if it were dancing on your roof?

Would you jump over mount everest if you thought the top was too snowy?

Would you punch the king tut if his mummy body came back to life?

Certainly, but that does not address the OP's question. Dou you support open ended abortion at any time or limits placed on abortion based on the stage of development?

It is worth pointing out that health risks may require an abortion at any stage and that is beside the point. While I do not support optional abortion in the third trimester I think most would be willing to accept IDLH as an acceptable reason for an abortion.

Of course not, I know of very few liberals who support third trimester abortion

Just curious. For the extremos, any restrictions on a woman's right to choose are anti liberal.

conservatives can buy hunting permits for liberals, no limit

and when clinton was president many cons, demonstrating against him, carried signs saying "abort clinton"

limbaugh recommends leaving "only some liberals left alive"

glenn beck muses about killing michael moore

ann coulter wants everyone at the new york times killed....

so.....how far into a persons life do cons support abortion?

I've always wondered the point of these never-to-happen hypotheticals. A baby can live in the beginning of the 3rd trimester, so unless both a natural birth and a sesection would both cause certain or near certain death I dunno why anyone would support one.

Would you ride a unicorn if it were dancing on your roof?

First it would need to stop dancing. Ever try to mount a moving equine?

Would you jump over mount everest if you thought the top was too snowy?

As a matter of fact, When I last climbed it, we did exactly that. Funny you would ask that question.

Would you punch the king tut if his mummy body came back to life?

No, but I would body punch the life out of Don King's mommy.

Friday is fun day.

Hardly anyone defends 3rd trimester abortions at all.

I'm a centrist who is highly pro-life. Not for religious reasons (I'm an atheist), but because for logical reasons, at the moment of conception what's been created is life - or to be exact potential life. And getting rid of partial, potential life is murder. Society has allowed the abomination of abortion to go on simply because you can't see the baby under the belly. People and mothers and fathers treat the baby like an "it"...but it's there...and growing.

Rape and incest, while horrible don't justify murder. In cases where it's the life of the mother vs the child...that's the only situation where I might see a reason to make a choice. But even that would be based on medical probabilities.

Do you support post term abortions?

The most amazing aspect of certain human brains are the ones that contain a chunk that says "I'm pro-life and pro-war."

Ahh you do get it. Out of rep right now catch you later.

Every abortion means one less potential cannon fodder piece.

Actually, I think it is YOU that does not get it.

No one is pro war....but many of us understand that war is unavoidable in certain situations.

Do you support post term abortions?

The most amazing aspect of certain human brains are the ones that contain a chunk that says "I'm pro-life and pro-war."

Understanding the necessary evil of war does not make one "pro war"

That is pure spin on your part.

Now think about it, most of the pro war types are anti abortion.
And most of the pro abortion types are anti war.
Kinda strange.

I do not know why it is that way, but it is a generalized trueism.

Last edited:
After reading the first 7 pages of this thread, I've lost hope of finding any indication of what I was looking for. So I'll ask: How many people here actually know anything about late term abortions? How many people know under what circumstances such procedures are legal, or when a doctor will perform them? How many of you understand the purpose of a D&X procedure?

I don't see any indication that anyone here knows much about the actual subject, they just have ideological bends that are telling them yes or no. Whatever your position may be on abortion, anyone taking a stand on so profound an issue without thorough knowledge is the worst thing of all. Especially if you're zealous about your stand.

Kinda strange.

No...

YOu are mischaracterizing those that you refer to as "pro war"

We are not pro war. Given a choice we would avoid war.

But we understand that war is a necessary evil at times...

Kinda strange.

No...

YOu are mischaracterizing those that you refer to as "pro war"

We are not pro war. Given a choice we would avoid war.

But we understand that war is a necessary evil at times...

You can say this after the eager buildup to the Iraq invasion???
those of us who opposed it rwere called anti american, unpatriotic, etc.

Ohh I do understand that war is a necessary evil at times. And a quick wipe out the terrorist camps in Afganistan after 911 was in order. but that was all.
We have not had a necessary WAR since WW2.

Hardly anyone defends 3rd trimester abortions at all.

I'm a centrist who is highly pro-life. Not for religious reasons (I'm an atheist), but because for logical reasons, at the moment of conception what's been created is life - or to be exact potential life. And getting rid of partial, potential life is murder. Society has allowed the abomination of abortion to go on simply because you can't see the baby under the belly. People and mothers and fathers treat the baby like an "it"...but it's there...and growing.

Rape and incest, while horrible don't justify murder. In cases where it's the life of the mother vs the child...that's the only situation where I might see a reason to make a choice. But even that would be based on medical probabilities.
Yep...it's almost like asking the question, Do Conservatives support the starving of children because they are against food stamps.

Forum List

Back