Do any of you white so called Christians

How does one become worthy of heaven, eternal life?

By conforming to the laws demands.

'The man said he followed the law since he was a child.

Jesus taught that the literal application of the law was wrong., that there is hidden teaching and hidden subjects.

For the man to follow Jesus to have 'riches in heaven', the reward of the righteous, he would have to abandon the way he had been following the law since childhood and follow the teaching of Jesus.

This is what the story is about. If you think that having wealth excludes people from the kingdom of God, you really don't know what you are talking about. Its a dangerous and false teaching that can screw up a persons life for good with confusion and senseless suffering.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure lying buried in a field. The man who found it buried it again and for sheer joy went out and sold everything he had and bought that field.", Matthew 13:44

You have missed the point entirely. Having a yard sale is not the key to eternal life.
And you are missing the point. Wealth is not evil and God sometimes uses it to bless His people. For this guy, however, it was more important than God, and that is what Jesus exposed. Sure, he was trying to follow the law and thought he was doing well, but Jesus revealed his true heart. Remember the first of the Ten Commandments. Following the law with a corrupted heart does no good whatsoever.

No, obedience to the law, not a desire for wealth, was the mans priority and expression of love and devotion to God.

What he had to face and what gave him a heavy heart was not that he had to have a yard sale but he had to accept that everything he had invested in since childhood by conforming to the literal application of the law was in error.
You're reading a whole lot into it that is not there. It is clear from the text that he wanted to know what Jesus would say he had to do to inherit eternal life, and probably thought he could impress Jesus and those around him with his righteousness. Jesus, though, knowing the hearts of men, took him up on it and said "obey these laws". When the man claimed to have done so all his life, Jesus simply exposed the idol hidden in the man's heart, his wealth, and told him to get rid of it. Remember the first of the Ten Commandments. Don't you get it? Jesus effortlessly pointed out that the man was breaking the very first of the laws he claimed he had always followed.

Remember the first of the Ten Commandments.
The man was being sardonic.

He already knew that his lifelong dedication to holiness through obedience to the literal letter of law would assure him a place in the world to come.

No one short of Jesus Himself has managed to keep the entire law their entire life. If that man had seriously done it, he would never have had to make a sin offering. Do you seriously think he lived his entire life without making even one such offering?

There is no commandment against wealth, in fact prosperity would have been seen as a sign of Gods approval.
You keep acting like I'm saying there is such a law. I most clearly am not, so you can drop that particular line of argument. This man clearly broke the very first commandment, ie, to not have any other gods before God. His wealth was his idol, and Jesus exposed it.

No, the story is not about any idol.

I see the problem.

You do not even have an inkling that Jesus revealed a new way to conform to divine law that was hidden and buried in figurative language since the time of Moses.

You have been told that when Jesus appeared the law became obsolete, but I am telling you that the only thing about the law that became obsolete was the wrong way to follow it.

Thats what the man had to give up, the wrong way to follow the law, that was his problem, not wealth.

Its the same problem you are having accepting that everything you have been taught to believe about an edible triune mangod is false.

The man walked away with a heavy heart because the entire structure of his conscious mind, beliefs about God, ideas about right and wrong, and perception of reality had to be rebuilt from scratch.

Do you have that kind of faith?

Last edited:
And you are missing the point. Wealth is not evil and God sometimes uses it to bless His people. For this guy, however, it was more important than God, and that is what Jesus exposed. Sure, he was trying to follow the law and thought he was doing well, but Jesus revealed his true heart. Remember the first of the Ten Commandments. Following the law with a corrupted heart does no good whatsoever.

No, obedience to the law, not a desire for wealth, was the mans priority and expression of love and devotion to God.

What he had to face and what gave him a heavy heart was not that he had to have a yard sale but he had to accept that everything he had invested in since childhood by conforming to the literal application of the law was in error.
You're reading a whole lot into it that is not there. It is clear from the text that he wanted to know what Jesus would say he had to do to inherit eternal life, and probably thought he could impress Jesus and those around him with his righteousness. Jesus, though, knowing the hearts of men, took him up on it and said "obey these laws". When the man claimed to have done so all his life, Jesus simply exposed the idol hidden in the man's heart, his wealth, and told him to get rid of it. Remember the first of the Ten Commandments. Don't you get it? Jesus effortlessly pointed out that the man was breaking the very first of the laws he claimed he had always followed.

He already knew that his lifelong dedication to holiness through obedience to the literal letter of law would assure him a place in the world to come.

No one short of Jesus Himself has managed to keep the entire law their entire life. If that man had seriously done it, he would never have had to make a sin offering. Do you seriously think he lived his entire life without making even one such offering?

There is no commandment against wealth, in fact prosperity would have been seen as a sign of Gods approval.
You keep acting like I'm saying there is such a law. I most clearly am not, so you can drop that particular line of argument. This man clearly broke the very first commandment, ie, to not have any other gods before God. His wealth was his idol, and Jesus exposed it.

I see the problem.

You do not even have an inkling that Jesus revealed a new way to conform to divine law that was hidden and buried in figurative language since the time of Moses.

You have been told that when Jesus appeared the law became obsolete, but I am telling you that the only thing about the law that became obsolete was the wrong way to follow it.

Thats what the man had to give up, the wrong way to follow the law, that was his problem, not wealth.

Its the same problem you are having accepting that everything you have been taught to believe about an edible triune mangod is false.

The man walked away with a heavy heart because the entire structure of his conscious mind, beliefs about God, and perception of reality had to be rebuilt from scratch.

Remember the first of the Ten Commandments. That was the one the man was breaking.

I see the problem.

The man walked away with a heavy heart because the entire structure of his conscious mind, beliefs about God, and perception of reality had to be rebuilt from scratch.

Remember the first of the Ten Commandments. That was the one the man was breaking.

lol....Says the dude who worships a three in one mangod.

How much do you want for those rings and that pocket watch?

I see the problem.

You've already lost when you try lame insults. Tell me again how Scripture doesn't say what it says.

Remember the first of the Ten Commandments and how the man went away sad because he didn't want to give up his wealth, then tell me again how he was righteous. He commended himself, Jesus did not commend him. Remember the first of the Ten Commandments.

I see the problem.

You've already lost when you try lame insults. Tell me again how Scripture doesn't say what it says.

Remember the first of the Ten Commandments and how the man went away sad because he didn't want to give up his wealth, then tell me again how he was righteous. He commended himself, Jesus did not commend him. Remember the first of the Ten Commandments.

in the same way that sin is disobedience to the law, righteousness is obedience to the law. The man was raised to be a dedicated and observant Jew who was far more righteous than you who are an openly professed idolator. Until Jesus revealed a better way to understand and apply the law based on the rational thinking required to grasp the hidden subjects only alluded to by the figurative language used he was not guilty of any sin no matter how wealthy he had become by living according to tradition.

The instruction of Jesus for the man to sell everything and follow him was instruction to cleanse his mind from everything he had been taught, accept his revelation, adjust accordingly, and act on it to have treasure in heaven, the fulfillment of the promise of eternal life for obedience. In the same way the parable of matthew 13:44 is not telling anyone to sell even one material thing even though it clearly says, "for sheer joy went out and sold everything he owned.", Jesus was not telling the man to give away everything he owned except as it pertains to his wealth of knowledge about tradition.

BTW, it only said that he walked away dismayed. It did not say whether he listened to Jesus or not.

If you have been praying to Jesus as if he was God and studying scripture in that light since you were a boy, as wealthy as that would make you in your own mind, by now should should be sufficiently well acquainted with the despair and depths of darkness that other wealthy man was having trouble getting his mind around when challenged to give it all up.

Last edited:

I see the problem.

in the same way that sin is disobedience to the law, righteousness is obedience to the law. The man was raised to be a dedicated and observant Jew who was far more righteous than you who are an openly professed idolator. Until Jesus revealed a better way to understand and apply the law based on the rational thinking required to grasp the hidden subjects only alluded to by the figurative language used he was not guilty of any sin no matter how wealthy he had become by living according to tradition.

The instruction of Jesus for the man to sell everything and follow him was instruction to cleanse his mind from everything he had been taught, accept his revelation, adjust accordingly, and act on it to have treasure in heaven, the fulfillment of the promise of eternal life for obedience. In the same way the parable of matthew 13:44 is not telling anyone to sell even one material thing even though it clearly says, "for sheer joy went out and sold everything he owned.", Jesus was not telling the man to give away everything he owned except as it pertains to his wealth of knowledge about tradition.

BTW, it only said that he walked away dismayed. It did not say whether he listened to Jesus or not.

If you have been praying to Jesus as if he was God and studying scripture in that light since you were a boy, as wealthy as that would make you in your own mind, by now should should be sufficiently well acquainted with the despair and depths of darkness that other wealthy man was having trouble getting his mind around when challenged to give it all up.
Man's attempts to be righteous are like everyone lining up on the beach in California, ready to swim to Hawaii. Sure, some will go further than others, but no one's going to make it to Hawaii. Jesus revealed this man's sin, which was that he worshiped his worldly possessions more than he worshiped God. Like I sad before, you have to put things in that are not there to maintain your belief.

I see the problem.

Man's attempts to be righteous are like everyone lining up on the beach in California, ready to swim to Hawaii. Sure, some will go further than others, but no one's going to make it to Hawaii. Jesus revealed this man's sin, which was that he worshiped his worldly possessions more than he worshiped God. Like I sad before, you have to put things in that are not there to maintain your belief.

The man put obedience to God before anything else. The man was not guilty of any sin. Jesus said if he wanted to go all the way, be perfect, and have treasure in heaven he had to give the up his wealth and security of conforming to the accepted literal application and follow Jesus by adhering to his teaching about what is the only righteous way to conform to the law that results in fulfillment of the promise of eternal life..

When the man asked where he fell short he was told that the way he followed the law was wrong by Jesus telling him to sell everything and follow him.

You are ignoring what is there and making up some imaginary sin about putting wealth before God when wealth and prosperity is the promise made in scripture for putting God first..

Even Jesus said that by listening to his teaching people would have a more abundant experience of life.

Hardly possible without a pot to piss in....

Anyway, If thats really what you believe why do you own anything?

Last edited:
see any contradiction in your professed beliefs, and your actual actions, such as
-the rampant commercialism and money making of religion, when in fact Jesus said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven? I don't see it anywhere in the Bible, "make billions of dollars selling stuff to people" If you do, let me know where it is
-the fact that American foreign policy is based around the idea that we can indiscriminately bomb anyone around the world, when Jesus spoke of love and forgiveness and blessed are the peacemakers?

Of course you don't. Because you as much as you may claim to be Christian, in reality you are all too human and the greed and power that is offered to you in America is too much to resist. So, in the end the moneymaking and the warmongering will win out, and you will do so even as you hypocritically pretend to be Christian.

A curse on all of you.

Anyone who reads the scriptures and is never convicted of any sort of sin either does not understand what they are reading or does not have a pulse.

Mark Twain once said, "I'm not disturbed by what I don't understand in the Bible, it's only what I do understand that disturbs me."

see any contradiction in your professed beliefs, and your actual actions, such as
-the rampant commercialism and money making of religion, when in fact Jesus said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven? I don't see it anywhere in the Bible, "make billions of dollars selling stuff to people" If you do, let me know where it is
-the fact that American foreign policy is based around the idea that we can indiscriminately bomb anyone around the world, when Jesus spoke of love and forgiveness and blessed are the peacemakers?

Of course you don't. Because you as much as you may claim to be Christian, in reality you are all too human and the greed and power that is offered to you in America is too much to resist. So, in the end the moneymaking and the warmongering will win out, and you will do so even as you hypocritically pretend to be Christian.

A curse on all of you.

Anyone who reads the scriptures and is never convicted of any sort of sin either does not understand what they are reading or does not have a pulse.

Either that or they do exactly as God commands.....

1 John 3:4-10

The man put obedience to God before anything else. The man was not guilty of any sin. Jesus said if he wanted to go all the way, be perfect, and have treasure in heaven he had to give the up his wealth and security of conforming to the accepted literal application and follow Jesus by adhering to his teaching about what is the only righteous way to conform to the law that results in fulfillment of the promise of eternal life..

When the man asked where he fell short he was told that the way he followed the law was wrong by Jesus telling him to sell everything and follow him.

Let's see if we have this straight. You are saying that the man was sinless, and therefore perfect already, yet Jesus told him how to become perfect? Do you not see your own contradiction?

You are ignoring what is there and making up some imaginary sin about putting wealth before God when wealth and prosperity is the promise made in scripture for putting God first..

Even Jesus said that by listening to his teaching people would have a more abundant experience of life.

Hardly possible without a pot to piss in....

Anyway, If thats really what you believe why do you own anything?
Wow, the Prosperity Gospel. You know that's heresy, right? I own things because God has, in His mercy and grace, allowed me to live in a wealthy nation and be employed in a manner that compensates me well enough to have what I need and extra to share. It's certainly not because I've "earned" it and can demand anything from God. You do know that our own righteousness is like filthy rags to God, right?

Let's see if we have this straight. You are saying that the man was sinless, and therefore perfect already, yet Jesus told him how to become perfect? Do you not see your own contradiction?

Jesus said, " If I had not come and spoken to you, you would not be guilty of sin."

Until Jesus came following a strict compulsory literal interpretation of Mosaic Law was the best that anyone could do. When the man asked where he fell short, Jesus, by telling him to sell of everything he owned and follow him, he was telling the man that the way he was following the law was where he fell short, his abundant wealth of a thousand year tradition of the oral law, what Jesus called the traditions of men, was all wrong, and if he wanted to go all the way and become perfect he would have to follow the teaching of Jesus about the figurative nature and hidden subjects in the law and do it as encapsulated in the command to eat his flesh.

Wow, the Prosperity Gospel. You know that's heresy, right? I own things because God has, in His mercy and grace, allowed me to live in a wealthy nation and be employed in a manner that compensates me well enough to have what I need and extra to share. It's certainly not because I've "earned" it and can demand anything from God. You do know that our own righteousness is like filthy rags to God, right?

When Jesus was speaking to the religious elite and telling them that he wanted them to have life more abundantly it certainly wasn't by teaching them that they had to become destitute.

He was teaching them that by following his revelation about the hidden subjects of the law he was telling them that their experience of life would improve in a way that all the wealth in the world could never do.

Thats why the people who didn't believe that God gave a crap about what you ate for dinner and were reviled as sinners according to the pharisaic point of view found it easy to conform to the way that Jesus taught, easy to follow him, and were already experiencing the fulfillment of the promise of life and the treasures of Heaven.

"Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."

Last edited:

Jesus said, " If I had not come and spoken to you, you would not be guilty of sin."
Now, in context,
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.

Jesus exposed the man's sin, which was his idolatry with his wealth. Since He did that, the man is without excuse.

Until Jesus came following a strict compulsory literal interpretation of Mosaic Law was the best that anyone could do. When the man asked where he fell short, Jesus, by telling him to sell of everything he owned and follow him, he was telling the man that the way he was following the law was where he fell short, his abundant wealth of a thousand year tradition of the oral law, what Jesus called the traditions of men, was all wrong, and if he wanted to go all the way and become perfect he would have to follow the teaching of Jesus about the figurative nature and hidden subjects in the law and do it as encapsulated in the command to eat his flesh.

When Jesus was speaking to the religious elite and telling them that he wanted them to have life more abundantly it certainly wasn't by teaching them that they had to become destitute.

Of course not, He never said all of His followers had to live in poverty. This one man, however, put his wealth above God in his heart and had to remove it to conform with the first of the Ten Commandments.

He was teaching them that by following his revelation about the hidden subjects of the law he was telling them that their experience of life would improve in a way that all the wealth in the world could never do.

Thats why the people who didn't believe that God gave a crap about what you ate for dinner and were reviled as sinners according to the pharisaic point of view found it easy to conform to the way that Jesus taught, easy to follow him, and were already experiencing the fulfillment of the promise of life and the treasures of Heaven.

None of which has anything to do with wealth. God is, however, firm on His commandments, and putting wealth ahead of Him is wrong. That was the man's sin.

"Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."
Exactly. Jesus was making it clear to the religious authorities of the day that their legalistic approach to obeying the law would get them nowhere.

A curse on all of you.

You be hatin on dem whities - Obama Akbar...

Exactly. Jesus was making it clear to the religious authorities of the day that their legalistic approach to obeying the law would get them nowhere.

It was not the legalistic approach it was the literal approach where the man fell short.

Material wealth had nothing to do with it. Wealth is not a sin the man placed before God. That is you inserting something into the story that is not there. His error was in the way he followed the law. Jesus said to sell off all of that and follow him, not follow him around Judea but follow his teaching about what is the only right way to interpret and conform to the divine commands that fulfills the promise of life.

Whether you are rich or poor, unless you sell off all of that garbage that addles your head you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

It was not the legalistic approach it was the literal approach where the man fell short.

Material wealth had nothing to do with it. Wealth is not a sin the man placed before God. That is you inserting something into the story that is not there. His error was in the way he followed the law. Jesus said to sell off all of that and follow him, not follow him around Judea but follow his teaching about what is the only right way to interpret and conform to the divine commands that fulfills the promise of life.

Whether you are rich or poor, unless you sell off all of that garbage that addles your head you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

You are totally whacked.

You are totally whacked.

lol, If you think thats whacked you should see me after a vat of communion wine under the light of the full moon....But at least I'm not the one on my knees every sunday with the flesh of god in my mouth sweetlips......

You are totally whacked.

lol, If you think thats whacked you should see me after a vat of communion wine under the light of the full moon....But at least I'm not the one on my knees every sunday with the flesh of god in my mouth sweetlips......

I bet you look like this and have to be rolled out on a hospital bed to be under the light of the moon.

by boedicca on US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

You are totally whacked.

I bet you look like this and have to be rolled out on a hospital bed to be under the light of the moon.

by boedicca on US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

lol... no, I never wear glasses.

You are deliberately ignoring my point. Wealth is neither right nor wrong, but placing it before God certainly is. That was the man's failure. Remember the first of the Ten Commandment.

You are deliberately ignoring my point. Wealth is neither right nor wrong, but placing it before God certainly is. That was the man's failure. Remember the first of the Ten Commandment.

Having wealth does not mean that he placed wealth before God. His lifelong dedication to the law shows that he placed God before wealth.

What the man had to give up in order to follow Jesus was the way he had followed the law for his entire life..

Forum List

Back