Dish vs Direct TV

I have Direct TV and am very happy with it. You might want to think about the HD quality channels...I think Direct TV offers more HD channels than does Dish.

well! hmph! i think DISH offers more HD channels than Direct tv! :tongue:

I'm considering getting satellite TV. Which satellite TV company do you think is best, an why? :confused:

I think they're probably about the same. I've had Dish for over five years and would NEVER go back to cable. Dish Network has only raised its rates once on the package I have, and that was an additional $1.00 for the DVR. I could handle that! Comcast used to cost me $20 more a month for about 15 fewer channels with the same package.

direct tv...dish sucks....dish has lousy customer service....direct tv will follow right thru...with that said...i have cable now.....direct tv is pricey

I've never had a problem with tech service at Dish. But then I've rarely had to call them.

I've had Dish for over 12 years. Had to replace two seperated Dish setups due to lightening strikes and it was done easily. I've never had any sort of problem with Dish and except for loosing the signal during severe storms, my service has been flawless. Guess I'm lucky.

The nice part is even when you lose satellite reception, you can still use your DVR to playback what you've recorded. (One other reason I tend to record just about every show I want to watch.) Sometimes if the DVR is in record mode and service is lost, it picks it back up when service is restored, usually within minutes so hardly anything is lost.

we have had Dish for nearly 4 years and are fairly happy with it....

negatives: we lose connection during major rain or snow storms, though just for short periods.

after our contract was over, i believe it was 2 years, we stayed with them and felt screwed when first time accounts were getting better deals...though when the hubby called them and said, ''You are telling me that because we were loyal to you and because we decided to stay with you, for nearly 4 years without 1 late payment to you, you've decided to punish us, and not give us these deals, while offering them to a stranger, who you have no record or relationship with....?'' the employee said, hold please, and the supervisor came on, and gave us the special offering!

dish has more HD channels.

HOWEVER, if CABLE was available here as we had in Massachusetts, I would never have satellite tv.

-we never lost our cable in storms
-we had very very highspeed broadband cable and our unlimited ld phone and tv, all for about $100 bucks a month!

here, with no cable avail and no dsl avail, our options are few.

I guess cable companies differ, too. My sister still has Comcast (the phone/TV/computer), and when it goes out, so do all three. So she's stuck with NO communication.

Direct lets you access your DVR from anywhere to record programs.

I don't care about that. I just like to watch the game, channel surf, watch the Discovery channel.

You'd better make sure the Discovery Channel comes with the basic plan, then. That's where they ALL getcha: By not including at least one or two very popular channels from the different packages so you're forced to sign on to the next higher one at more money.

I don't care about that. I just like to watch the game, channel surf, watch the Discovery channel.

You'd better make sure the Discovery Channel comes with the basic plan, then. That's where they ALL getcha: By not including at least one or two very popular channels from the different packages so you're forced to sign on to the next higher one at more money.

Yes it does, as does A&E and TLC. I confess, I'm fascinated by Hoarders and some of the cop reality shows. Real easy watching.

Also Dish included free HD TV if you sign up for automatic drafting of payments from your account. I would get that anyways, it saves the trouble of paying a bill.

Also Dish included free HD TV if you sign up for automatic drafting of payments from your account. I would get that anyways, it saves the trouble of paying a bill.

I keep expecting my three-year old DVR to crash. It's got to have thousands of miles on it and has withstood moving it around the room a few times which included a few thuds, plus a ton of cat hairs. Sturdy little buggers.

Yes the thing about new customers get better deals makes me mad to, but this aggravates me as well. Why won't they just let customers choose 50 stations of their choice for $50/month?

i have 250 stations, not counting music channels, and i bet we watch 50 of em at the most.'

Oh, and I'm a sports nut so I prefer Directv. My wife doesn't really care either way.

Yes the thing about new customers get better deals makes me mad to, but this aggravates me as well. Why won't they just let customers choose 50 stations of their choice for $50/month?

i have 250 stations, not counting music channels, and i bet we watch 50 of em at the most.'

Oh, and I'm a sports nut so I prefer Directv. My wife doesn't really care either way.

The myriad channels pay Dish/Direct/cable for access which keep the whole service going, that's why. If everyone picked their favorites, no one but hoarders and little old ladies would tune into the home buying channels! Dish gives three freebies from bigger packages once a month, but they're usually crap like Rod & Reel (no offense to dedicated fishermen). This month, however, I can get National Geographics, which I've enjoyed occasionally.

I've had both Dish and DirecTV.

Between the two, I like DirecTV better. It's what I have now. Better user interface, and better customer service than Dish. The channels are laid out in a more logical manner too, IMO.

Basically same channels offered though.

I have cable but I also have Direct TV in my den. I love it. I mainly got it for the NFL Ticket but they have a lot of history and science channels which I love.

I did it. I ordered the basic DISH service. I told the girl that I wanted it as a Christmas present for my kids, so they're coming out on Dec 22 to install.

Good for you. The kids will love it, especially the advanced recording you can do by using the Channel Guide on the remote, which will take you at least through a full week of programming.

Also, a helpful hint: Sometimes during periods of inactivity (several hours), when you turn the TV on from the Dish Remote, you'll get all snow. Just hit the red button directly above the "tv" button to reactivate the receiver. Some people new to the system freak out and immediatey call technical support.

Another hint: If you DO lose satellite reception, first try holding the power on/off button ON THE FACE OF THE RECEIVER for about 10 seconds, and it will run through some diagnostics you can't see, then pop back on. If that doesn't work, then call tech support.

Enjoy!!

Forum List

Back