Did Jesus Know He was Starting a New Movement?

I say that Jesus did know what he was bringing to the world, and he quite explicitly says so. What do you say?

I say Jesus was the ambassador of faith , which had so little to do with organized religion that it exists as a blasphemy to HIS doctrine, wishes , and sacrifice

~S~

I say that Jesus did know what he was bringing to the world, and he quite explicitly says so. What do you say?

I say Jesus was the ambassador of faith , which had so little to do with organized religion that it exists as a blasphemy to HIS doctrine, wishes , and sacrifice

~S~
So you believe Jesus was more like Siddhārtha Gautama?

~S~

I suppose one could delve into comparisons ding. It begs the old debate of being divine, or simply moved by divinity.....

~S~

~S~

I suppose one could delve into comparisons ding. It begs the old debate of being divine, or simply moved by divinity.....

~S~
That wasn’t where I was going with that.

Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that it had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism. He asked his followers, "did I ever teach you that God existed?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I ever teach you that God didn't exist?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world is eternal?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world isn't eternal?" They said, "no." He then asked them, "what have I taught you?" They said, you have taught us suffering and the end of suffering."

He was a rationalist and a moralist. He taught that people should work out their own salvation with diligence. He was not against Hinduism. He was against the corruption which had entered into Hinduism and wanted to get back to what was important in Hinduism. He believed we crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us. Which is very true. We are free to pursue pleasure, wealth, fame and power but none of those things will satisfy us because we were made for more.

So if I understood your point correctly, you were arguing that Jesus was a reformer of Judaism because he believed as Siddhārtha Gautama believed that the form of faith had become imbalanced.

So I have little doubt that this is true. It is the nature of man to shit where he eats. Of course, this is not mutually exclusive to the Christian belief of Jesus' divinity. Both can be true. And I believe both are true.

I truly wish you did.
Then explain it to me.

If you showed any genuine interest I’m sure many would
You’re too stupid to explain it?
dunning effect, Taz, dunning effect.
It's you guys, I call you on something and you run away. Every. Fucking. Time.
You have a movie playing in your head where you are the writer, producer and narrator.

Then explain it to me.

You have a movie playing in your head where you are the writer, producer and narrator.
Watch this: dingbat, please explain "die to self" for me.

No. It would be a waste of time.

Then why say it if you won't explain it?

To die to yourself is to allow the holy spirit to move into those places that are filled with carnal/fleshly thoughts. Akin to knowing that you are irritating but not allowing you to be a thorn because one already knows that cannot help yourself; and knowing that in a chosen day those answers will come even though it sure doesn't look like it at times. It is looking beyond the mere mortal thoughts that humans naturally have been ingrained with from the time they entered into this world.

To die to yourself is to allow the holy spirit to move into those places that are filled with carnal/fleshly thoughts. Akin to knowing that you are irritating but not allowing you to be a thorn because one already knows that cannot help yourself; and knowing that in a chosen day those answers will come even though it sure doesn't look like it at times. It is looking beyond the mere mortal thoughts that humans naturally have been ingrained with from the time they entered into this world.
Thanks for the explanation. So god doesn't want me to think about sex? What's a fleshy thought? I'm a vegetarian.

So what day is chosen for everything to be answered? Any idea? When hell freezes over? :biggrin:

And looking beyond to what? Where?

He was reconciling justice with mercy.

He was born into the world to testify to the truth.
So the truth is that you should die nailed to wood with your shlong hanging out?
No. I should die to self to confront reality.

It’s pretty much a central theme in all religions.
"die to self"? wtf does that mean?

Maybe if you study, seek, and pray you will find out
If you have nothing to add, why the fuck are you answering?

I did add something. You aren’t listening.

I’m telling you how to find God

So the truth is that you should die nailed to wood with your shlong hanging out?
No. I should die to self to confront reality.

It’s pretty much a central theme in all religions.
"die to self"? wtf does that mean?

Maybe if you study, seek, and pray you will find out
If you have nothing to add, why the fuck are you answering?

I did add something. You aren’t listening.

I’m telling you how to find God
I need more than homilies. Anyways, I've actually tried those.

Then explain it to me.

Sure thing buddy. Tell yourself what you need to hear
Why? Does that work for you?

Forum List

Back