Thou shalt have no other gods before me

Taz

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2014
This is the first of the 10 Commandments. God is acknowledging that there exists more than one god. Who are they? And where are they?

Those where his assistants. Equal type beings " We have made in our image( ability to create). HOWEVER Yahwey was the head of the project and we are to worship him alone.HE alone makes the rules around here.

This is the first of the 10 Commandments. God is acknowledging that there exists more than one god. Who are they? And where are they?
They are everywhere, Allah, budda, Shiva, Baal, the list goes in and on.

2AG6U.png

We could take into account that for the Hebrews, YHWH was the deity, god was a generic term. Seen that way, it is clear that nothing should come between one and the One.

Money, individuals, etc.
And the different hindu gods as well? Native gods? ...
Canaanite gods, Babylonian gods, Assyrian gods, and all the rest.

But more than just conceding that no other gods shall be before the Lord God, the Israelites also proclaim that there simply are no other gods (Is 45:5; Ps 86:10).

for the record----the phrase "thou shalt have no other gods
before me" -----is a TRANSLATION of a Hebrew phrase.
It is IMPRECISE as translations USUALLY are-----a more accurate
translation (from the hood) would be -----"you gonna get all
your other concepts of "god" OUTTA MY FACE"

for the record----the phrase "thou shalt have no other gods
before me" -----is a TRANSLATION of a Hebrew phrase.
It is IMPRECISE as translations USUALLY are-----a more accurate
translation (from the hood) would be -----"you gonna get all
your other concepts of "god" OUTTA MY FACE"
Yes, idolatry was their sin. The gods before God were mere idols.

Using historical analysis, not that God every did battle with other gods like Zeus, or greek titans style, we can tell that the middle east was littered with competition gods like Baal, who the priests of Moses defeate I think the 1000 priests of baal, or the Babylonian Zoroastrianism that occupied Israel, I can't think of others.

should we pray for wisdom from the god of Hellfire, to enable us to merely use forms to repurpose lava into easy to use shapes.
It has more to do with knowing who God is. I still say the Hebrews offer a fine map for coming to know God through His Law (Way). The question: Do I choose to know the One, or do I choose to yuck it up among the straw men?

For Republicans, Trump has replaced God. How do we know? Because Republicans now believe the opposite of everything Christ taught.

Forum List

Back