Denzel Washington knows what our problem is...fatherless homes..not guns or prisons...

Again, this thread isn't about blackness or skin color. It's about the woes of fatherless boys in general. That's why Mr. D. Washington spoke out. He's speaking out not to call attention to race, but rather attention to lack of fathers to boys. Making it about race is a form of bigotry, as if black fatherless boys are somehow much more repugnant to society than white fatherless boys.

No matter how well they tan in the sun, ALL fatherless boys are statistically more prone to drug addiction, gang violence, suicide, crime, murder and depression. Period.

It's the simplistic right wing "view" of things that always means they're right and therefore they don't need to actually deal with any of the problems.

Uh what’s the stat, some 70% of blacks grow up in fatherless homes...that doesn’t seem like a problem to you? There’s been study after study, showing a very strong correlation with criminal problems, unhealthy adjustments, and unhealthy relationships among kids/adults who have grown up without/very little fatherly interactions. No duh it starts in the home...where else would it start?? If your waiting for school for it to start, you’re already too late.

Yes, it's a problem to me.

Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center

The stats are about 67%

Now why does this happen?

Race divide on single parents | Metro News

In the UK there's an issue with this too. However "only" 48% of families with children in black Caribbean families are in single parent families. 36% of black African families are single parent.

Well this black African figure is nearly half what it is in the US.

For white people the figure is 22% which is higher than Asian origin families.

So, black Africans are 50% more likely in the UK to be single parents.

But in the US non-Hispanic whites are at 25%, slightly higher than the UK average (which is difficult to compare because the statistic appear to be different) but the black statistic is much, MUCH higher.

Why?

Are you telling me the US and the way it deals with things isn't the issue here?
Certainly part of it...but we also have a massive drug problem. We also have a stronger culture supporting the drug culture. Now I am for legalization...which will help. But when the entire rap culture is glorifying crime and selfishness, that’s gonna definitely influence it. It’s a culture that’s telling you that money will fix all of the problems around you, and get rich by any means, or die trying...or that you should be trying to make it as a rapper and put all your eggs in that basket, and if that doesn’t work, turn to black market drugs...that’s DEFINTILY going to have an effect. And that’s defiantly what we’re seeing. That is a cultural problem, and government is not going to fix it. They’ve been trying to fix it. 22 trillion dollars later the only thing we’ve added is more poverty, and more broken homes.
You've just described. Nixon's legacy: the War on Drugs.;a war that has consistently been waged primarily against blacks although Caucs use and deal at the same rates.
The effect? BLACK Dads are given long prison sentences for using and or distributing...!!! The enforcement of non violent drug offenses in the black community has taken a toll on the black family probably more than any other single factor. But I would have no complaint if an equal number of Cauc users snd distributors met the same fate. They don't.

Again, this thread isn't about blackness or skin color. It's about the woes of fatherless boys in general. That's why Mr. D. Washington spoke out. He's speaking out not to call attention to race, but rather attention to lack of fathers to boys. Making it about race is a form of bigotry, as if black fatherless boys are somehow much more repugnant to society than white fatherless boys.

No matter how well they tan in the sun, ALL fatherless boys are statistically more prone to drug addiction, gang violence, suicide, crime, murder and depression. Period.

Just a random oddity that a way higher percentage of black boys grow up without fathers than other races I suppose. Nothing to do with the one trait these folks have in common.

I respectfully disagree. The very premise of this thread was grounded in bigotry and racism. Washington's words were purposefully used. to draw attention to
dysfunction in the black community and no other. The words of a Cauc celebrity would have made the focus more cosmopolitan and less effective for attaining the hidden agenda.
You've got to learn to read with the 3rd eye.

Just a random oddity that a way higher percentage of black boys grow up without fathers than other races I suppose. Nothing to do with the one trait these folks have in common.
There's nothing random about it at all.
It's happening all over the world...especially in industrialized nations.

There's nothing random about it at all.
It's happening all over the world...especially in industrialized nations.

True but in THIS country the stats don't lie, a black child is 13 times more likely to grow up without a father than a white child.

There's a lesson in there, somewhere.

I think that may used to have been true, but not so much anymore. It has to do with free-love, unwanted pregnancy and the bloke not in love but rather "in sex" with the gal at the time taking off and running for the hills. What man wants to stay tied to some woman for 18 years that he had no love for at all? Not many I'll wager. White or black. Annnnnd, we get to the root of the problem yet again. You're welcome.

It's the simplistic right wing "view" of things that always means they're right and therefore they don't need to actually deal with any of the problems.

Uh what’s the stat, some 70% of blacks grow up in fatherless homes...that doesn’t seem like a problem to you? There’s been study after study, showing a very strong correlation with criminal problems, unhealthy adjustments, and unhealthy relationships among kids/adults who have grown up without/very little fatherly interactions. No duh it starts in the home...where else would it start?? If your waiting for school for it to start, you’re already too late.

Yes, it's a problem to me.

Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center

The stats are about 67%

Now why does this happen?

Race divide on single parents | Metro News

In the UK there's an issue with this too. However "only" 48% of families with children in black Caribbean families are in single parent families. 36% of black African families are single parent.

Well this black African figure is nearly half what it is in the US.

For white people the figure is 22% which is higher than Asian origin families.

So, black Africans are 50% more likely in the UK to be single parents.

But in the US non-Hispanic whites are at 25%, slightly higher than the UK average (which is difficult to compare because the statistic appear to be different) but the black statistic is much, MUCH higher.

Why?

Are you telling me the US and the way it deals with things isn't the issue here?
Certainly part of it...but we also have a massive drug problem. We also have a stronger culture supporting the drug culture. Now I am for legalization...which will help. But when the entire rap culture is glorifying crime and selfishness, that’s gonna definitely influence it. It’s a culture that’s telling you that money will fix all of the problems around you, and get rich by any means, or die trying...or that you should be trying to make it as a rapper and put all your eggs in that basket, and if that doesn’t work, turn to black market drugs...that’s DEFINTILY going to have an effect. And that’s defiantly what we’re seeing. That is a cultural problem, and government is not going to fix it. They’ve been trying to fix it. 22 trillion dollars later the only thing we’ve added is more poverty, and more broken homes.
You've just described. Nixon's legacy: the War on Drugs.;a war that has consistently been waged primarily against blacks although Caucs use and deal at the same rates.
The effect? BLACK Dads are given long prison sentences for using and or distributing...!!! The enforcement of non violent drug offenses in the black community has taken a toll on the black family probably more than any other single factor. But I would have no complaint if an equal number of Cauc users snd distributors met the same fate. They don't.
It’s nothing to do with color, it’s all about how much money you have for defense. Any lawyer will tell you that.

As opposed to the left, who is afraid to identify the source of a problem, so they just blame someone or something. The left creates problems, and then either pretends the problem doesn't exist, or blames someone else.

Yep...Denzel Washington stepped into a Crap Storm....he actually told the truth about the problems in not only black communities, but in all communities with violent and other crime....

Denzel Washington to Black America: Stop Blaming the Prison System, 'It Starts at Home'

“It starts at the home. It starts at home. It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure,” the Academy Award-winner told reporters at the Dan Gilroy-directed film’s New York premiere, the New York Daily News reports.

“So you know I can’t blame the system. It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them,” Washington said.
I like Denzel but his opinion is nothing more than a layman's opinion on a very complex subject.
No he is spot on. There are no absolutes, but as a cop very few people I deal with had a good upbringing or education. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one.

Responsibility is hard and dropping kids and fleeing is easy. Blacks do this disproportionately-that's a fact and not altered by emotional froth and excuses

In defense of black men, have any of yall MET a black woman? I wouldn't stick around either.

Yep...Denzel Washington stepped into a Crap Storm....he actually told the truth about the problems in not only black communities, but in all communities with violent and other crime....

Denzel Washington to Black America: Stop Blaming the Prison System, 'It Starts at Home'

“It starts at the home. It starts at home. It starts with how you raise your children. If a young man doesn’t have a father figure, he’ll go find a father figure,” the Academy Award-winner told reporters at the Dan Gilroy-directed film’s New York premiere, the New York Daily News reports.

“So you know I can’t blame the system. It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them,” Washington said.
I agree with Denzel. Instead of blaming the system teach your kids not to trust the system and avoid getting ensnared by it. You can cry all day long about the system but until you are in a position to change it then the best you can do is do everything in your power to avoid it then pray some racist cop doesnt set you up.

I agree with Denzel. Instead of blaming the system teach your kids not to trust the system and avoid getting ensnared by it. You can cry all day long about the system but until you are in a position to change it then the best you can do is do everything in your power to avoid it then pray some racist cop doesnt set you up.

Seems like a good plan regardless of race "hey don't break the fucking law and you probably don't have to worry about the police"

Seems like a good plan regardless of race "hey don't break the fucking law and you probably don't have to worry about the police"
Bullshit. Whites break the law all the time and get away with it. Blacks dont have to even break a law and racist cops set them up and racist judges throw them in the slammer to be trained for a criminal life.

Bullshit. Whites break the law all the time and get away with it. Blacks dont have to even break a law and racist cops set them up and racist judges throw them in the slammer to be trained for a criminal life.

blah blah blah "he din't do nuffin"

Forum List

Back