Dems counting on People over 55 being Ignorant?

Gee, I hate to be the one to break the news, giving a few bucks to someone 75 years old and telling them to go out and buy insurance is a cruel and mean joke. THAT is the Republican Plan. Remember, the majority of Republicans voted FOR it. That means it's no longer Ryan's Plan, no, it's the Republican's Plan.

I remember when I was a kid, before Medicare. The terrible stories of the elderly living on "cat" food. Maybe that's what Republicans mean by the "good old days"? Under their plan, why wouldn't that happen again?

For sure... they get ripped off enough.

Not only is the Left miss characterizing the Ryan plan as the End of Medicare, but they seem to be hoping to scare people who are over 55 right now into voting against it.

I guess they are betting that people over 55 are to stupid to understand that they will not be effected at all by the Ryan plan because they are Already over 55?

Can't believe the American People are falling for this BS from the left.
I mean I don't think the Ryan plan is perfect, or the only way, But the Left seems to just want to ignore the Problem all together. To Actually say there is nothing wrong with Medicare as it is and nothing needs to be done. Which if People were smart, they would understand, is the Real Threat to Medicare. Doing Nothing.

The Democrats have quickly taken over the slot as the party of no. 2 Years and no Budget, and no willingness to even discuss entitlement reforms. They should change the Democrat party logo to an ostrich. the Party of "lets just keep our heads buried in the sand and spend out selves into ruin, Fuck the Grand kids!"

Everyone is "falling for it" because it's the truth. And more then "the left" is rejecting it.

1. One of the reasons Obamacare was successful in was trying to close loopholes in Medicare where people were taking advantage of it.

2. Ending the current way Medicare is done is killing Medicare. Its not the same system. Thats not even including how much out of pocket seniors already pay for medical costs but hey it doesn't affect seniors now, so when you get old no Social Security, no medicare, but hey Cat Food is really good, thats what is in store for you when you cast that vote for Republicans.

Seniors worked hard for many many years, they deserved to not be ridiculed and treated like trash by Republicans. We can afford to take care of Seniors that took care of us while we were growing up.

Not only is the Left miss characterizing the Ryan plan as the End of Medicare, but they seem to be hoping to scare people who are over 55 right now into voting against it.

I guess they are betting that people over 55 are to stupid to understand that they will not be effected at all by the Ryan plan because they are Already over 55?

Can't believe the American People are falling for this BS from the left. I mean I don't think the Ryan plan is perfect, or the only way, But the Left seems to just want to ignore the Problem all together. To Actually say there is nothing wrong with Medicare as it is and nothing needs to be done. Which if People were smart, they would understand, is the Real Threat to Medicare. Doing Nothing.

The Democrats have quickly taken over the slot as the party of no. 2 Years and no Budget, and no willingness to even discuss entitlement reforms. They should change the Democrat party logo to an ostrich. the Party of "lets just keep our heads buried in the sand and spend out selves into ruin, Fuck the Grand kids!"

The caption of your post is true Charles, but most of all they're counting on their allies in the media to skew information, and then on people to be too lazy to seek out facts, or to be apathetic, indifferent, and distracted. It's interesting how media outlets attack by name the only network which gives us a semblance of the complete facts, and that network mentions them not at all other than calling their dereliction to duty what it is: CORRUPT.

Dems in 2008: "These two entities—Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac—are not facing any kind of financial crisis,"

Dems in 2012: "These two entities—Medicare and Social Security—are not facing any kind of financial crisis,"

Don't get fooled again

Dems in 2008: "These two entities—Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac—are not facing any kind of financial crisis,"

Dems in 2012: "These two entities—Medicare and Social Security—are not facing any kind of financial crisis,"

Don't get fooled again

Financial crisis? Oh, that's right. You mean the deregulated Wall Street. And who deregulated Wall Street? Oops.

Can't believe the American People are falling for this BS from the left. I mean I don't think the Ryan plan is perfect, or the only way, But the Left seems to just want to ignore the Problem all together. To Actually say there is nothing wrong with Medicare as it is and nothing needs to be done. Which if People were smart, they would understand, is the Real Threat to Medicare. Doing Nothing.

The caption of your post is true Charles, but most of all they're counting on their allies in the media to skew information, and then on people to be too lazy to seek out facts, or to be apathetic, indifferent, and distracted. It's interesting how media outlets attack by name the only network which gives us a semblance of the complete facts, and that network mentions them not at all other than calling their dereliction to duty what it is: CORRUPT.

OK, so it's not give old people some money and tell them to go out and try to get insurance. Just kidding. That's EXACTLY what it is. Even Ryan says so. Oops.

Don't get fooled again

Financial crisis? Oh, that's right. You mean the deregulated Wall Street. And who deregulated Wall Street? Oops.

Bill Clinton

OK, so it's not give old people some money and tell them to go out and try to get insurance. Just kidding. That's EXACTLY what it is. Even Ryan says so. Oops.

Yest but..it will operate like Medicare part D which has consistently come in at lower cost (41% lower) than initial estimates. The reason is people pay attention to the cost of the premium getting the best price for their formulary, and pharmaceutical needs.

The money which will be provided by Medicare will enable the individual to shop for insurance with defined benefits, just like Part-d , and put unused portions of that money into an account to accumulate.

I'm on SS, Medicare, Supplemental insurance and Part-D. I shop for my Sup and Part D and get the best insurance product I can for my money. I also shop drugs within the limits of the plan. For medical services, I don't because virtually everything outisde of drugs is covered. Therefore for non drug medical services I don't pay too close attention.

I'm not rich (only a fraction of critical mass/wealth), and I would take the program which will be offered to those under age 55, or the theshold. I would do that because if we don't do something very much like the Ryan plan, Medicare will not be there for my 40 year old son and his wife, or perhaps you Rdean.

And Rdean, insurability wil be guaranteed, as well as the uniform structures of the array of plans to be offered. It will bring competion and customer oversight into the purchase of medical services, which is the only way to lower costs other than limiting services to beneficiaries through oversight panels who will decide who has adequate need and /or applying stiff cost to benefit ratios.

Last edited:

Yest but..it will operate like Medicare part D which has consistently come in at lower cost (41% lower) than initial estimates. The reason is people pay attention to the cost of the premium getting the best price for their formulary, and pharmaceutical needs.

The money which will be provided by Medicare will enable the individual to shop for insurance with defined benefits, just like Part-d , and put unused portions of that money into an account to accumulate.

I'm on SS, Medicare, Supplemental insurance and Part-D. I shop for my Sup and Part D and get the best insurance product I can for my money. I also shop drugs within the limits of the plan. For medical services, I don't because virtually everything outisde of drugs is covered. Therefore for non drug medical services I don't pay too close attention.

I'm not rich (only a fraction of critical mass/wealth), and I would take the program which will be offered to those under age 55, or the theshold. I would do that because if we don't do something very much like the Ryan plan, Medicare will not be there for my 40 year old son and his wife, or perhaps you Rdean.

And Rdean, insurability wil be guaranteed, as well as the uniform structures of the array of plans to be offered. It will bring competion and customer oversight into the purchase of medical services, which is the only way to lower costs other than limiting services to beneficiaries through oversight panels who will decide who has adequate need and or cost to benefit ratios.

Shop? What shop?

No insurer in their right mind is going to cover the elderly.

And Rdean, insurability wil be guaranteed, as well as the uniform structures of the array of plans to be offered. It will bring competion and customer oversight into the purchase of medical services, which is the only way to lower costs other than limiting services to beneficiaries through oversight panels who will decide who has adequate need and or cost to benefit ratios.

Shop? What shop?

I'm sorry, you are either uninformed or deliberately obtuse.

Shop? What shop?

Uhhh, the reason Medicare was started was because no insurer in their right mind wanted to cover the elderly. That's just history. Not some weird statement.

Shop? What shop?

Or I actually work in the world of finance and know economic reality.

The Free Market is based on profit..not charity.

Don't get fooled again

John mccain 2008 the economy is strong mitt romney 2009 if Obama bails out detroit, the auto industry will be destroyed, mitt romney 2011 the bailout of detroit was my idea. Stop drinking your own kool-aid:doubt:

Shop? What shop?

Uhhh, the reason Medicare was started was because no insurer in their right mind wanted to cover the elderly. That's just history. Not some weird statement.

That's not true. It was because many older people reached an age when they could no longer work/earn and they could no longer afford medical insurance. You would be surprised how cheaply so called health insurance could be bought for in 1965 at the inception of Medicare. Government interference in the health system has been the primary causal agent for the increase in medical costs by seperating the patient from the provider, thus removing competitive forces from the market.

As an example of health insurance cost, in 2005 (when I was 64) before I went on SS/Medicare my health insurance policy was only $220/month, and it was completely adequate for my needs.

Last edited:
Bruce Bartlett is a former Treasury Department economist and the author of Reaganomics: Supply-Side Economics in Actionand Impostor: How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy.

Republican Deficit Hypocrisy - Forbes.com

But a big election was coming up that Bush and his party were desperately fearful of losing. So they decided to win it by buying the votes of America's seniors by giving them an expensive new program to pay for their prescription drugs

over the next 10 years, while Medicare Part D will cost $1 trillion.

Shop? What shop?

No insurer in their right mind is going to cover the elderly

Or I actually work in the world of finance and know economic reality.

The Free Market is based on profit..not charity.

Sure it is, but there is no profit if one doesn't compete, or is uncompetitive. I too have spent my life career in the market place as an independent contractor, home-builder, and land developer; my wife is a realtor/broker, my son an independent contractor/HVAC, his wife a realtor. I operated in the market place successfully for 36 years. I never had to screw anyone for a buck; I always provided quality services for dollars received.

EDIT: To your earlier comment; during my entire working life after the Marine Corps (1964), I always had health insurance, privately purchased plans. As long as I paid the premiums they could never cancel my policy, and I was always free to shop for another company. That insurance, had it not been for Medicare, would've/could've continued even after age 65, and they could never have cancelled me, but with the Medicare law, it now cannot continue in its previous form; only as a supplement and a new policy issue.

Last edited:

That's not true. It was because many older people reached an age when they could no longer work/earn and they could no longer afford medical insurance. You would be surprised how cheaply so called health insurance could be bought for in 1965 at the inception of Medicare. Government interference in the health system has been the primary causal agent for the increase in medical costs by seperating the patient from the provider, thus removing competitive forces from the market.

As an example of health insurance cost, in 2005 (when I was 64) before I went on SS/Medicare my health insurance policy was only $220/month, and it was completely adequate for my needs.

Health insurance was 220 a month?

USATODAY.com - Average family health policy nears $11,000

Posted 9/14/2005 11:32 PM

Forum List

Back