Dems counting on People over 55 being Ignorant?

I'm sorry, you are either uninformed or deliberately obtuse.

Uhhh, the reason Medicare was started was because no insurer in their right mind wanted to cover the elderly. That's just history. Not some weird statement.

That's not true. It was because many older people reached an age when they could no longer work/earn and they could no longer afford medical insurance. You would be surprised how cheaply so called health insurance could be bought for in 1965 at the inception of Medicare. Government interference in the health system has been the primary causal agent for the increase in medical costs by seperating the patient from the provider, thus removing competitive forces from the market.

As an example of health insurance cost, in 2005 (when I was 64) before I went on SS/Medicare my health insurance policy was only $220/month, and it was completely adequate for my needs.

First you say "It's not true" then support why it's true???

The next part of that is nonsense. Sure it was "cheap" And wages..were low. In any case, the elderly were being discarded and left to either fend for themselves or with their families. And in some cases they were wiping out the saving of their children.

Health care should have been never left to the private sector. The profit motivation alone is a big flag for "an industry" that has to provide care and compassion.

Not only is the Left miss characterizing the Ryan plan as the End of Medicare, but they seem to be hoping to scare people who are over 55 right now into voting against it.

I guess they are betting that people over 55 are to stupid to understand that they will not be effected at all by the Ryan plan because they are Already over 55?

Can't believe the American People are falling for this BS from the left. I mean I don't think the Ryan plan is perfect, or the only way, But the Left seems to just want to ignore the Problem all together. To Actually say there is nothing wrong with Medicare as it is and nothing needs to be done. Which if People were smart, they would understand, is the Real Threat to Medicare. Doing Nothing.

The Democrats have quickly taken over the slot as the party of no. 2 Years and no Budget, and no willingness to even discuss entitlement reforms. They should change the Democrat party logo to an ostrich. the Party of "lets just keep our heads buried in the sand and spend out selves into ruin, Fuck the Grand kids!"

The caption of your post is true Charles, but most of all they're counting on their allies in the media to skew information, and then on people to be too lazy to seek out facts, or to be apathetic, indifferent, and distracted. It's interesting how media outlets attack by name the only network which gives us a semblance of the complete facts, and that network mentions them not at all other than calling their dereliction to duty what it is: CORRUPT.

Taken over? That would suggest that someone else had it first. We have a 2party system, so that leaves yours. Now why would you have a party of no? I mean, the president has spent the last two years, presenting legislation created by the republicons. Three guesses as to why they would shoot down their own legislation, but I bet you only need one. You people love to envoke the great ron reagan and YET you shoot down things that were "his" idea as well. Of course, that's only when dems suggest it. Why is that?:confused:

Uhhh, the reason Medicare was started was because no insurer in their right mind wanted to cover the elderly. That's just history. Not some weird statement.

That's not true. It was because many older people reached an age when they could no longer work/earn and they could no longer afford medical insurance. You would be surprised how cheaply so called health insurance could be bought for in 1965 at the inception of Medicare. Government interference in the health system has been the primary causal agent for the increase in medical costs by seperating the patient from the provider, thus removing competitive forces from the market.

As an example of health insurance cost, in 2005 (when I was 64) before I went on SS/Medicare my health insurance policy was only $220/month, and it was completely adequate for my needs.

Health insurance was 220 a month?

USATODAY.com - Average family health policy nears $11,000

Posted 9/14/2005 11:32 PM

My figure was factual, for a 64 year old male in 2004. My wife had her own policy, as it happened because she had a pre-existing orphan disease, and she got hers through the Indiana assigned risk insurance pool.

Your figures are not factual for my time, policy and family situation.

Not only is the Left miss characterizing the Ryan plan as the End of Medicare, but they seem to be hoping to scare people who are over 55 right now into voting against it.

I guess they are betting that people over 55 are to stupid to understand that they will not be effected at all by the Ryan plan because they are Already over 55?

Can't believe the American People are falling for this BS from the left. I mean I don't think the Ryan plan is perfect, or the only way, But the Left seems to just want to ignore the Problem all together. To Actually say there is nothing wrong with Medicare as it is and nothing needs to be done. Which if People were smart, they would understand, is the Real Threat to Medicare. Doing Nothing.

The Democrats have quickly taken over the slot as the party of no. 2 Years and no Budget, and no willingness to even discuss entitlement reforms. They should change the Democrat party logo to an ostrich. the Party of "lets just keep our heads buried in the sand and spend out selves into ruin, Fuck the Grand kids!"

The caption of your post is true Charles, but most of all they're counting on their allies in the media to skew information, and then on people to be too lazy to seek out facts, or to be apathetic, indifferent, and distracted. It's interesting how media outlets attack by name the only network which gives us a semblance of the complete facts, and that network mentions them not at all other than calling their dereliction to duty what it is: CORRUPT.

Taken over? That would suggest that someone else had it first. We have a 2party system, so that leaves yours. Now why would you have a party of no? I mean, the president has spent the last two years, presenting legislation created by the republicons. Three guesses as to why they would shoot down their own legislation, but I bet you only need one. You people love to envoke the great ron reagan and YET you shoot down things that were "his" idea as well. Of course, that's only when dems suggest it. Why is that?:confused:

Nonsense...

Take, for example, the statement that the Ryan plan would end Medicare as we know it.
The Problem is Dems are just saying Ryan wants to End Medicare, not End it as we know it and replace it with something else. Which is of course the truth.

Replace it with something different is not "ending" it? Something ended. Otherwise, how could it be "replaced"?

Of course you are leaving out the fact that if we do nothing as the dems want then Medicare will end itself when we can no longer pay for it. Since you do not like the rand plan where is the democrat one? Or is that something that can only be asked when a republican is nay saying?

The next part of that is nonsense. Sure it was "cheap" And wages..were low. In any case, the elderly were being discarded and left to either fend for themselves or with their families. And in some cases they were wiping out the saving of their children.

Health care should have been never left to the private sector. The profit motivation alone is a big flag for "an industry" that has to provide care and compassion.
Your post proves that you are an outlier with no real understanding of the market place. You must he a mortgage broker. Good luck with that.,

I'm sorry, you are either uninformed or deliberately obtuse.

Or I actually work in the world of finance and know economic reality.

The Free Market is based on profit..not charity.

Sure it is, but there is no profit if one doesn't compete, or is uncompetitive. I too have spent my life career in the market place as an independent contractor, home-builder, and land developer; my wife is a realtor/broker, my son an independent contractor/HVAC, his wife a realtor. I operated in the market place successfully for 36 years. I never had to screw anyone for a buck; I always provided quality services for dollars received.

EDIT: To your earlier comment; during my entire working life after the Marine Corps (1964), I always had health insurance, privately purchased plans. As long as I paid the premiums they could never cancel my policy, and I was always free to shop for another company. That insurance, had it not been for Medicare, would've/could've continued even after age 65, and they could never have cancelled me, but with the Medicare law, it now cannot continue in its previous form; only as a supplement and a new policy issue.

Um..maybe for a short time but over the long run competition actually is bad for profit. Why? Because it drives down prices. What exactly do you think is the goal of most corporate entities? To incorporate..and merge. Why? Because that maximizes profit. Laissez-faire "capitalism" generally leads to corporatism. And that bodes very badly if you are in the market for health insurance and over 50. You are much more expensive to insure and as you grow older you will need more in the way of medical services..especially toward the end of life. Unless of course..you employ the "Jan Brewer" solution.

Your post proves that you are an outlier with no real understanding of the market place. You must he a mortgage broker. Good luck with that.,

I work in IT for a large financial firm. However, dealing with real world numbers is not an "outlier" concept...it is math. And that's how the "Market Place" deals with the world. If there's no profit in doing something..that thing will not get done. Period.

Gee, I hate to be the one to break the news, giving a few bucks to someone 75 years old and telling them to go out and buy insurance is a cruel and mean joke. THAT is the Republican Plan. Remember, the majority of Republicans voted FOR it. That means it's no longer Ryan's Plan, no, it's the Republican's Plan.

I remember when I was a kid, before Medicare. The terrible stories of the elderly living on "cat" food. Maybe that's what Republicans mean by the "good old days"? Under their plan, why wouldn't that happen again?

And this indicates that the retire age (The qualifier) increases a person right out of the plan.

"this proposal extends the gradual increase in the retirement age, from 65 to 67, occurring under existing policies, and speeds it up by 1 year,” states the Roadmap. “Once the current-law retirement age reaches 67 in 2026, this proposal continues its progression in line with expected increases in life expectancy. This will have the effect of increasing the retirement age by 1 month every 2 years. The retirement age will gradually increase until it reaches 70 in the next century.”"
Social Security Personal Retirment Accounts May Get Fresh Look Under Incoming House Budget Chairman | CNSnews.com

If Ryan wants a plan, make it simple, give everybody 100% HNC that they deserve.

Gee, I hate to be the one to break the news, giving a few bucks to someone 75 years old and telling them to go out and buy insurance is a cruel and mean joke. THAT is the Republican Plan. Remember, the majority of Republicans voted FOR it. That means it's no longer Ryan's Plan, no, it's the Republican's Plan.

I remember when I was a kid, before Medicare. The terrible stories of the elderly living on "cat" food. Maybe that's what Republicans mean by the "good old days"? Under their plan, why wouldn't that happen again?

And this indicates that the retire age (The qualifier) increases a person right out of the plan.

"this proposal extends the gradual increase in the retirement age, from 65 to 67, occurring under existing policies, and speeds it up by 1 year,” states the Roadmap. “Once the current-law retirement age reaches 67 in 2026, this proposal continues its progression in line with expected increases in life expectancy. This will have the effect of increasing the retirement age by 1 month every 2 years. The retirement age will gradually increase until it reaches 70 in the next century.”"
Social Security Personal Retirment Accounts May Get Fresh Look Under Incoming House Budget Chairman | CNSnews.com

If Ryan wants a plan, make it simple, give everybody 100% HNC that they deserve.

Yes the terrible days before Medicare when citizens were the patients and doctors made house calls.

Dems counting on People over being 55 being Ignorant?

Are Republicans counting on People over 55 not caring about their children and grandchildren as long as they get theirs?

Last edited:
It’s not the ‘Dems’ you have to take issue with – your own conservative newspaper, the WSJ, stated: “The plan would essentially end Medicare’

Obamacare already essentially ended Medicare. First, it removed $500 billion in funding from Medicare. Next, it will destroy all the insurance companies and force everyone into single payer.

This is false on its face. The Republican budget reopens the donut hole for Medicare drug coverage, it eliminates the free wellness visits and preventive care benefits that were recently added to Medicare, it slashes Medicaid which helps low-income seniors pay for their Medicare Part B premiums and cost-sharing, as well as long-term care and other health services used by low-income seniors.

That said, even if you weren't mistaken, so what? Medicare is a very popular program, particularly among that cohort. Do you think the average senior is content to see it destroyed, just so long as she gets hers? It turns out quite a few of those folks aren't happy to see Medicare dismantled for their children and grandchildren, even if they themselves benefit from Ryan's carve-out. So no, no one's betting on seniors being stupid; folks are betting that seniors are generally not as craven and self-centered as the arguments the Republicans are banking on assume they are. And that bet seems to be paying off.

Their children and grand children are never going to collect Medicare if it isn't reformed because it's a Ponzi scheme that's about to collapse. There isn't enough money on the entire planet to fund all the promises that Democrats have made.

Are Republicans counting on People over 55 not caring about their children and grandchildren as long as they get theirs?

No, that's what the Democrats are counting on. That's what they have always counted on.

If one believes that Medicare is one of the major contributors to the debt and deficit, and is doomed to failure in a few years, then changes need to be made. Maybe it should be ended. The dems are giddy over the recent NY congressional election. They succeded in scaring the electorate into putting a dem in the seat of what was long-time repub. Slick Willie himself says that the dems need to do something with the program and not rest on these election results.

Take, for example, the statement that the Ryan plan would end Medicare as we know it.
The Problem is Dems are just saying Ryan wants to End Medicare, not End it as we know it and replace it with something else. Which is of course the truth.

There is NOTHING wrong with Medicare itself. It does not need to be replaced, especially with privatization. The 'for profit' cartels can NEVER, EVER run it at a lower overhead cost that the government.

We need to PAY for it. Ryan's plan is to let grandpa and grandma PAY for it, after paying INTO it all their working lives. The people in our society with the LEAST ability to increase their income.

Conservatives talk about 'family values', and now they want to throw the patriarch and matriarch of every American family under the bus.

You people are not Christians. You people are not moral. You people are not ethical. You are more dangerous than terrorists, at least terrorists are honest about their hatred of America.

You shall rise up before the gray-headed and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:32

What will the Ryan Plan do to Medicare? How will it change the program from what it is today?

Replace it with something different is not "ending" it? Something ended. Otherwise, how could it be "replaced"?

Of course you are leaving out the fact that if we do nothing as the dems want then Medicare will end itself when we can no longer pay for it. Since you do not like the rand plan where is the democrat one? Or is that something that can only be asked when a republican is nay saying?

Republicans call Democrats do nothing because their leadership refuses to negotiate on anything. Look at taxes. They start off the conversation with, "Everything is on the table except taxes". If Republicans don't get their way, they will do anything. Just a few months ago, they said if they didn't get an extension on the Bush Tax Cuts, they will cut the unemployment benefits for millions of Americans. That is a threat and it's holding the American Middle Class hostage.
It only happened a few months ago. Not enough time to "rewrite" history.

What will the Ryan Plan do to Medicare? How will it change the program from what it is today?

Instead of handling the medical of people over 65, it gives them a voucher and tells them to go find an insurance company. Right off the bat, they pay $6,400.00 per year and the voucher is limited.
These are people who live on SS half of which get under $28,000.00 per year. Why do you think they are angry.
They same bill gives tax breaks to millionaires that sets off any "savings". That's called a "slap in the face".

The real question is , "What do you think it does"?

Forum List

Back