Democrats

The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.

With a staff of 80, a target of $60 million for their budget, $40 million of which was raised by February 2013,[27] Fix the Debt is best described as an "astroturf supergroup." Its message? Deficits are "a cancer that will destroy this country from within," says Fix the Debt founder and Morgan Stanley board member Erskine Bowles.[28]

Pete Peterson thinks he has the cure. Peterson wants to convince Americans -- who overwhelmingly want to keep and strengthen Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid -- that these programs' very existence threatens our national well-being. After multiple astroturf projects like "America Speaks" Town Hall Meetings, Peterson has upped the ante. He put $5 million into the kitty[29] and announced Fix the Debt on the Peter G. Peterson Foundation website.[30]

This time around, he roped in some 127 CEOs and even more "statesmen" into his quest for a "grand bargain" on an austerity budget by July 4, 2013. With many CEOs kicking in a million each,[31] and spending $1 billion to capture Congress in the past four years,[32] this latest incarnation of the Pete Peterson message machine is well financed and enormously influential. Fix the Debt CEOs met personally with President Obama in the White House on November 14, 2012, and have fanned out across the airwaves with almost identical talking points on "shared sacrifice" and the need to cut "entitlement programs."

Fix the Debt leaders are riddled with conflicts of interest that are not disclosed on Fix the Debt's website; the majority have undisclosed financial ties to firms that lobby on deficit related issues; Fix the Debt CEOs enjoy lavish personal retirement assets, but 39 underfund their employee pension plans; many Fix the Debt firms pay little or nothing in taxes, which contributes greatly to the debt; and Fix the Debt is secretly lobbying for a territorial tax system that will add to U.S. debt and contribute to the offshoring of U.S, jobs. Learn more about this agenda in the main Campaign to Fix the Debt article here.

Fix the Debt leaders know that nothing short of a massive effort will be needed to convince members of Congress to impose fiscal austerity in the midst of an economic downturn. Not only has this failed in the European countries where it has been tried,[33] but poll after poll showed that the American public specifically rejected the Fix the Debt agenda in the 2012 election and want jobs to be the nation’s priority.[34] Learn more about this agenda in the main Campaign to Fix the Debt article here as well as in the Nation’s special edition, "Stacking the Deck: The Phony 'Fix the Debt' Campaign," here.

Concord Coalition Takes Peterson's Message Outside the Beltway
The Concord Coalition, which was founded in 1992, lists Peterson as a co-founder on its website.[35] The organization received $6,036,060 (including $1.5 million in matching funds) from the Peterson Foundation from 2009 to 2012.[36] It specializes in taking the fiscal austerity message outside the Beltway with costly tours and town halls. In January of 2013, the Concord Coalition announced that it is partnering with Fix the Debt on a series of public forums. According to the Concord Coalition's website, "This joint project will focus its efforts on ten programs in six states: Colorado, New Hampshire, Iowa, Wisconsin, Florida and Tennessee."[37] All of the states the programs are featured in, with the exception of Tennessee, were swing states in the 2012 presidential election.[38] The first forum on January 29, 2013, featured Timothy Pagliara, founder of Enact the Plan, a group created explicitly to promote support for the Simpson-Bowles Commission.[39]

See below for more on Concord Coalition's previous tours.
Peter Peterson - SourceWatch

Once WE THE PEOPLE take the White House these little spats will be over.

WE THE PEOPLE have the White House.........and we wouldn't have these spats if Republican/conservatives wouldn't try to act like they are in control and their beliefs and policies are the ones that should be enforced, and they wouldn't keep trying to pass such abhorrent legislation. The people voted, the GOP lost. They may have won the majority in the Senate and House, but they are not totally in charge of Congress, and certainly not in charge of the country, Obama is.

Hi Mertex if you believe in "separation of church and state"
why would you want Obama/government to be in charge of 'dictating' public policy.

If the people are the govt, then what is this business of trying to impose ONE PARTY as representing the PEOPLE. Isn't that just as bad as a group with religious agenda, such as rightwing Christians, using govt to impose THOSE beliefs on the rest of the nation? If it's not okay for righwing to impose political beliefs, why is it okay for leftwing agenda to be established through govt? Aren't secular beliefs still a form of beliefs that not all people share? And should remain FREE TO CHOOSE instead of being forced to fund through federal govt?

Why aren't ALL PEOPLE included in what is govt and what is representing the public.

What's with this "top down" govt? Why have separation of church and state,
just to create a new monopoly of depending on Presidents and Justices to "dictate law from the Bench and the Media"

How is this constitutional to use govt to establish national agenda, beliefs and political religion?

Once WE THE PEOPLE take the White House these little spats will be over.

WE THE PEOPLE have the White House.........and we wouldn't have these spats if Republican/conservatives wouldn't try to act like they are in control and their beliefs and policies are the ones that should be enforced, and they wouldn't keep trying to pass such abhorrent legislation. The people voted, the GOP lost. They may have won the majority in the Senate and House, but they are not totally in charge of Congress, and certainly not in charge of the country, Obama is.

Mertex ^
Why doesn't WE THE PEOPLE include Conservatives?
If your view depends on EXCLUDING half the nation, don't you think that is less than fully representing the entire public?
How can only one party speak for everyone, especially given such visible and vocal objection from people NOT represented.

Mertex think of it like sets of numbers
If you want to include all the numbers and all the sets of numbers,
you can't just count the positive numbers and leave out the negatives.
You can't just count the rational numbers and leaven out the irrational.

How do you think you can have a complete set, that includes ALL OTHER SUBSETS of numbers,
while excluding, demonizing and even penalizing the people and parties objecting and dissenting?

Do you really think you can speak for others while you are rejecting and censoring them?
That you know better than they do what represents their beliefs and interests?

How is that any different than Christians trying to speak for Atheists?
Or Conservatives making laws and ignoring the liberal objections?

Why is it okay the other way, for liberals to make laws "thinking that represent the whole nation"
while CONVENIENTLY leaving out the viewpoints, beliefs and objections of conservatives!

Can you PLEASE explain this to me, Mertex you seem extremely astute in your other posts where you could have gone into more detail, but didn't have time to elaborate.

Do you really expect the govt to represent all people with diverse views, beliefs and interests nationwide WITHOUT INCLUDING ALL PARTIES EQUALLY.

How can we CLAIM to cover the complete range if we don't include all the subsets out there?

Last edited:
I can't fathom why anyone pisses away their time on an obvious flame-baiting thread built on fallacies from the start. Obviously neither the OP nor his cheerleader fluff girls are interested in discourse.

As I said in my only post here, "PWI" -- posting while intoxicated.

Now I'm unsubscribing so this crap doesn't continue bubbling up on my list. Ciao.
flush.r191677.gif

I can't fathom why anyone pisses away their time on an obvious flame-baiting thread built on fallacies from the start. Obviously neither the OP nor his cheerleader fluff girls are interested in discourse.

Now I'm unsubscribing so this crap doesn't continue bubbling up on my list. Ciao.
flush.r191677.gif
Bye!!!!!!!!!!!

flush.r191677.gif

Hi Pogo What I don't understand
is why I am able to share ideas with DarkFury BullKurtz JakeStarkey and others
(while others badmouth these people, or assume they have onesided agenda) where
we can PINPOINT critical issues and solutions to be addressed in REAL LIFE, even what to
address for Constitutional conventions, or how to resolve issues directly instead of deadlocking in courts or congress.

And I'm a prochoice progressive Democrat!

On the very threads where people "complained" about BullKurtz or DarkFury, etc.
they and I were having constructive connections and discussing REAL points of agreement!
Do those conversations not count as having any content of value?

Why are people like you and OldSchool complaining?
About what? You don't see anything discussion going on that is constructive at all?

Is this just not in your reality what we are discussing? I see our whole country facing REAL LIFE issues that need to be addressed at REAL LIFE Constitutional Conventions to form AGREEMENTS between parties.

Is that just not in your vocabulary or reality?
Very strange.

But it makes sense if these ideas just don't register on your radar.

My coworker yesterday understood that the Indiana bill discriminated against people of other beliefs
but didn't see how ACA mandates did. Didn't show up on his radar. So is that way it sounds like nothing?

The people who operate and think on this level of Constitutional law just aren't real or valid in your world?

flush.r191677.gif

we can PINPOINT critical issues and solutions to be addressed in REAL LIFE, even what to
address for Constitutional conventions, or how to resolve issues directly instead of deadlocking in courts or congress.

they and I were having constructive connections and discussing REAL points of agreement!

About what? You don't see anything discussion going on that is constructive at all?

Is this just not in your reality what we are discussing? I see our whole country facing REAL LIFE issues that need to be addressed at REAL LIFE Constitutional Conventions to form AGREEMENTS between parties.

Very strange.

My coworker yesterday understood that the Indiana bill discriminated against people of other beliefs
but didn't see how ACA mandates did. Didn't show up on his radar. So is that way it sounds like nothing?

The people who operate and think on this level of Constitutional law just aren't real or valid in your world?
Some people see their agenda as being the goal. An Agenda is simply a path to a goal and nothing more. People who focus ONLY on their agenda never meet their goal or any goal for that matter.
That is the cause of gridlock NOT ideas not suggestions but agendas.

Now some people with an agenda want to hang that agenda on a national party like that law they are calling anti-gay when nothing could be farther from the truth. That states house wrote and passed that law and that states senate revised and approved it followed by that states GOV who signed it.

Would I have written such a law? Of course not, it goes against my libertarian stripe. I would have written the "Leave people the hell alone law" and INCLUDED government in THAT law.

Do I have goals? YES....reduce spending....reduce debt....Improve security.. Is there more then one path? YES, and we need to view them and most important pick one and do it. The choice of no choice is as bad as any agenda.

On a social note what other country would think a government made up of 90% lawyers could EVER get anything done? Lawyers who have to hire farmers to learn about farming or math experts to learn about economics?

Would we have not been better off putting those VERY people in office to start with? Cut the numbers of lawyers down to 10% and start filling offices with people who KNOW that field. Government is NOT smart and NOT effective because WE THE PEOPLE are hiring the wrong people.

flush.r191677.gif

Very strange.

Some people see their agenda as being the goal. An Agenda is simply a path to a goal and nothing more. People who focus ONLY on their agenda never meet their goal or any goal for that matter.
That is the cause of gridlock NOT ideas not suggestions but agendas.

Now some people with an agenda want to hang that agenda on a national party like that law they are calling anti-gay when nothing could be farther from the truth. That states house wrote and passed that law and that states senate revised and approved it followed by that states GOV who signed it.

Would I have written such a law? Of course not, it goes against my libertarian stripe. I would have written the "Leave people the hell alone law" and INCLUDED government in THAT law.

Do I have goals? YES....reduce spending....reduce debt....Improve security.. Is there more then one path? YES, and we need to view them and most important pick one and do it. The choice of no choice is as bad as any agenda.

On a social note what other country would think a government made up of 90% lawyers could EVER get anything done? Lawyers who have to hire farmers to learn about farming or math experts to learn about economics?

Would we have not been better off putting those VERY people in office to start with? Cut the numbers of lawyers down to 10% and start filling offices with people who KNOW that field. Government is NOT smart and NOT effective because WE THE PEOPLE are hiring the wrong people.

Thank you DarkFury
I hope you get behind Vern Wuensche who has been campaigning about the conflict of interest from 85% of the govt biased if not monopolized by judges and lawyers with political and financial backing behind their agenda.
voteforvern.com take America back

If we are heading for a Constitutional convention, we need to get organized now.

The left wing Liberals would have been considered radicals back then............Hell the Liberals of that day would be considered Conservative in today's terms............. Back then our country knew how to win a War..............Including fire bombing Japan and Germany and bringing our enemies to their knees.................

Today we fight with all these BS RULES.............If the enemy drops the weapon then you can't shoot him..........slap a known Radical prisoner that burned Americans alive and you are the problem and not our enemies................even knowing that this asshat tortured and killed Americans...................This was the case of the Seals who were going to Admirals mast for giving that asshole a fat lip...............They requested a Court Marshal and charges were dropped.........................

We have a CNC who is trying to cut a deal with our enemy..............who has openly Chanted DEATH TO AMERICA................We rebuild countries in the Inbred Nations of the Middle East...............Who when they aren't killing each other, vow to Kill us and Israel..............No deals to be made with that breed of Inbreds..............

Our debt has exploded..............more debt under the current President then all the other Presidents combined..........and it still isn't enough................Soon or payments on the interest of that debt will be the largest expense our Gov't will have to pay...............and yet they say it doesn't matter.............

Many Great Countries have fallen over history for the same reasons..........and most of them were saying it couldn't happen to them..............They refused to do something about it................and the shit storm was their ending..........because they refused to do what was necessary to preserve the future for their kids and so on..........

America has become addicted to debt and free hand outs from the Gov't..............Just as the Corps are looting this Nation as well............Not being bad enough we send money to our enemies when we can't even pay the bills at home...............Then we allow our companies to leave and go to third world shit holes around the world and send the products back here to sell putting Americans out of work..............because these third World countries have no EPA STANDARDS and pitiful labor costs.....................

In the end.........we will lose our World Reserve currency status and this will be a loss of the standard of living we have known for a long time..................

Our fathers FOUGHT to prevent this...........many have died to make this country one of the Greatest countries in the History of the World.........Only to be RUINED by those who refuse to HONOR their Sacrifice and fix this mess....................

The clock is ticking.

U.S. National Debt Clock Real Time
Economics wise I would like to see us tie the % of American employees tied to the percentage of their tax break. If a company only has say 10% of it's employees in the United States then 10% would be their MAX on ANY tax break.

The tax collected could be used to offset unemployment costs. Plus that would raise the price on overseas goods to EQUAL what ours is. The overall benefit to that would be not only a level playing field but then once again Quality would be the deciding factor in a purchase not price.

And when it comes to quality WE win.

The left wing Liberals would have been considered radicals back then............Hell the Liberals of that day would be considered Conservative in today's terms............. Back then our country knew how to win a War..............Including fire bombing Japan and Germany and bringing our enemies to their knees.................

Today we fight with all these BS RULES.............If the enemy drops the weapon then you can't shoot him..........slap a known Radical prisoner that burned Americans alive and you are the problem and not our enemies................even knowing that this asshat tortured and killed Americans...................This was the case of the Seals who were going to Admirals mast for giving that asshole a fat lip...............They requested a Court Marshal and charges were dropped.........................

We have a CNC who is trying to cut a deal with our enemy..............who has openly Chanted DEATH TO AMERICA................We rebuild countries in the Inbred Nations of the Middle East...............Who when they aren't killing each other, vow to Kill us and Israel..............No deals to be made with that breed of Inbreds..............

Our debt has exploded..............more debt under the current President then all the other Presidents combined..........and it still isn't enough................Soon or payments on the interest of that debt will be the largest expense our Gov't will have to pay...............and yet they say it doesn't matter.............

Many Great Countries have fallen over history for the same reasons..........and most of them were saying it couldn't happen to them..............They refused to do something about it................and the shit storm was their ending..........because they refused to do what was necessary to preserve the future for their kids and so on..........

America has become addicted to debt and free hand outs from the Gov't..............Just as the Corps are looting this Nation as well............Not being bad enough we send money to our enemies when we can't even pay the bills at home...............Then we allow our companies to leave and go to third world shit holes around the world and send the products back here to sell putting Americans out of work..............because these third World countries have no EPA STANDARDS and pitiful labor costs.....................

In the end.........we will lose our World Reserve currency status and this will be a loss of the standard of living we have known for a long time..................

Our fathers FOUGHT to prevent this...........many have died to make this country one of the Greatest countries in the History of the World.........Only to be RUINED by those who refuse to HONOR their Sacrifice and fix this mess....................

The clock is ticking.

U.S. National Debt Clock Real Time
Economics wise I would like to see us tie the % of American employees tied to the percentage of their tax break. If a company only has say 10% of it's employees in the United States then 10% would be their MAX on ANY tax break.

The tax collected could be used to offset unemployment costs. Plus that would raise the price on overseas goods to EQUAL what ours is. The overall benefit to that would be not only a level playing field but then once again Quality would be the deciding factor in a purchase not price.

And when it comes to quality WE win.
That's just a back door tariff.................Just put the Tariff back into place...................Fair Trade versus Free Trade.................If they don't have the same standards to produce................they don't get to sell here without paying an offset cost......................

Then push incentives to invest here instead if they want to sell here...................Of course this is a two edged sword...............as it also pushes the prices up here...............

We can't have it both ways.............but we can't let all the jobs leave either..................The answer is moderation on both sides of the equation.................

Complex subject.

Dear DarkFury and eagle1462010 What I see happening is tax incentives to move production back from overseas, setting up factories and businesses along the border as part of immigration and prison reform. Instead of penalizing citizens and corporations we should provide incentives for investing in sustainable economic and educational development.

This ties in with reforming the entire "war on drugs" policy -- going after human and drug traffickers
and requiring restitution for crimes to be invested in creating housing, jobs, teaching hospitals and campuses along the border.

All districts, all states should be involved in Constitutional conventions to organize resources by party and by region.
And work out settlement agreements how to pay back debts charged to taxpayers, for crime and corruption by either
individuals or corporations, and invest those credits/reimbursements into rebuilding local economies.

Why charge taxpayers more and more for problems that the wrongdoers should pay for?
Why not set up legal teams to go after each incident of govt misspending and abuse,
assess which parties owe what amounts, and negotiate settlement deals to get the public paid back in full (any administrative or legal costs for corrections should NOT be charged to taxpayers but be added to the costs owed by wrongdoers). There must be accountability in order to deter both the wrongs and the delays/legal manipulations to obstruct justice. Both citizens and corporations that refuse to work with authorities to address their crimes or violations should be denied privileges until restitution plans are worked out, to give incentive to resolve the debts and damages. Either accept responsibility in order to qualify for citizenship or corporate license to operate, or the taxpayers/investors who buy out the debts should claim shares in the property or programs as collateral on the loans to bail out the govt abuses.

Last edited:

flush.r191677.gif

Very strange.

Emily, I simply don't think threads like this are at all interested in discouse; they're only interested in Eliminationism.
As such, I can't waste my time on them.

We aren't in a war with islam, we're at a war with muslim extremist groups. If they were christian extremist groups you wouldn't say we're at war with christianity (if you would, you're fucking retarded) a small vocal group does not represent the entire muslim population, and it's fucking stupid to think so.

Dear DarkFury and eagle1462010 What I see happening is tax incentives to move production back from overseas, setting up factories and businesses along the border as part of immigration and prison reform. Instead of penalizing citizens and corporations we should provide incentives for investing in sustainable economic and educational development.

This ties in with reforming the entire "war on drugs" policy -- going after human and drug traffickers
and requiring restitution for crimes to be invested in creating housing, jobs, teaching hospitals and campuses along the border.

All districts, all states should be involved in Constitutional conventions to organize resources by party and by region.
And work out settlement agreements how to pay back debts charged to taxpayers, for crime and corruption by either
individuals or corporations, and invest those credits/reimbursements into rebuilding local economies.

Why charge taxpayers more and more for problems that the wrongdoers should pay for?
Why not set up legal teams to go after each incident of govt misspending and abuse,
assess which parties owe what amounts, and negotiate settlement deals to get the public paid back in full (any administrative or legal costs for corrections should NOT be charged to taxpayers but be added to the costs owed by wrongdoers). There must be accountability in order to deter both the wrongs and the delays/legal manipulations to obstruct justice. Both citizens and corporations that refuse to work with authorities to address their crimes or violations should be denied privileges until restitution plans are worked out, to give incentive to resolve the debts and damages. Either accept responsibility in order to qualify for citizenship or corporate license to operate, or the taxpayers/investors who buy out the debts should claim shares in the property or programs as collateral on the loans to bail out the govt abuses.
I'm always for personal accountability

The Politicians we have now will not fix this mess..............they are in bed with the ones pushing this..............both sides............

I've been convinced a Constitutional Convention is needed for a very long time............

but the worry is it will be HIJACKED by the very ones we are trying to address............

You know we as a nation can handle more than one issue right? If you don't want democrats to bash you for passing stupid laws, then DON'T PASS STUPID LAWS.

I've deleted about half the posts in this thread because they were nothing but insults and flames. This is in the Politics section so everyone take a pill.

chillPill_285_150color.jpg

classclowns005.jpg

liberalflames01.gif

Gallup: Percentage of people identifying as Democrats reaches all time low

posted at 10:01 am on January 11, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Politico has a good look at the latest Gallup survey on party preference which should have the establishment on both sides of the aisle worried. The news is particularly bad for the Democrats, who lost ground in 2015 and hit a near historic low water mark.

The share of Americans identifying as a Democrat dropped to a record low in 2015, according to the latest Gallup results published Monday, in the latest indication that Americans’ attachment to either political party is at or nearing historical lows.

Overall, 42 percent over the course of the last year identified as independents, a slight drop from the 43 percent who identified as such in 2014. While Democrats maintained a small advantage over Republicans — 29 percent to 26 percent — the Democratic share is at its lowest in Gallup history.

classclowns005.jpg

liberalflames01.gif

Politico has a good look at the latest Gallup survey on party preference which should have the establishment on both sides of the aisle worried. The news is particularly bad for the Democrats, who lost ground in 2015 and hit a near historic low water mark.

The share of Americans identifying as a Democrat dropped to a record low in 2015, according to the latest Gallup results published Monday, in the latest indication that Americans’ attachment to either political party is at or nearing historical lows.

Overall, 42 percent over the course of the last year identified as independents, a slight drop from the 43 percent who identified as such in 2014. While Democrats maintained a small advantage over Republicans — 29 percent to 26 percent — the Democratic share is at its lowest in Gallup history.

Bwahahaha......what a moron........you deceivingly chose an article that fails to show that the number of Repugnants also dropped.

Republicans also dropped to 26 percent, just one point above its 2013 low.
Poll: Fewer Americans Are Identifying With Republican, Democratic Parties

classclowns005.jpg

liberalflames01.gif

Bwahahaha......what a moron........you deceivingly chose an article that fails to show that the number of Repugnants also dropped.

Republicans also dropped to 26 percent, just one point above its 2013 low.
Poll: Fewer Americans Are Identifying With Republican, Democratic Parties

It's there your liberal mind is only trained to see only progressive libard...

Let me help::desk:

There ya go moron...:fu:

Forum List

Back