Democrats Protected AIG Bonuses

This is the latest from Salon...

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Newby. What do you have to say about this story that broke last year about Bush/Paulson wanting zero oversite of these details?

The deal proposed by Paulson is nothing short of outrageous. It includes no oversight of his own closed-door operations. It merely gives congressional blessing and funding to what he has already been doing, ad hoc. He plans to retain Wall Street firms as advisors to decide just how to cut deals to value and mop up Wall Street's dubious paper. There are to be no limits on executive compensation for the firms that get relief, and no equity share for the government in exchange for this massive infusion of capital.

Dirty Secret Of The Bailout: Thirty-Two Words That None Dare Utter

We told you this was happening last year. Now you are telling us as if Obama came up with the idea?

I would commend the outrage you feel - it is justified.

What is now central to the justified outrage is how Geithner failed to fully explain these bonuses to the current administration - or did in fact explain them and this administration shrugged about it...or both Geithner and Summers actually pushed to have the bonus protection inserted into last month's stimulus bill at the direction of the president, or....

You see, while one can be upset over Paulson and Co. for their role in this mess last fall, the greater blame now lies directly at the feet of the Obama administration and the Democrat Congress.

Read that Salon article - who is setting up who? Was Dodd truly behind the scheme to protect his campaign contributor AIG, or was his hand forced by the Obama administration, who is now attempting to hang it around the neck of Dodd?? Is Obama playing a role in this, or is he simply a mouthpiece and the White House is being run by various advisors and czars...THESE are the questions you must now ask and seek to find answers for.

Finally we can start calling you guys the conspiracy theorists. :lol:

Prove it. Seriously, prove it.

Yesterday one of you even tried to pretend Dick Cheney didn't out Valerie Wilson, even though Scooter was convicted of obstructing justice and lying to prosecutors.

If they didn't do it, why lie?

So it is hard to take you guys seriously. Fox has been known to lie. They were even taken to court and the verdict was that it is ok for Fox to lie. So why should we believe them when we know they lie and it is legal for them to do so?

Example. They might truly believe what they are reporting, but the source of their information is bad. So they aren't obligated to have facts on their show.

So they use that to lie. "hey, that's the information we were given"

Very similar to the Yellow Cake from africa/WMD/Downing Street memo's information Bush got. He got to pretend that he was innocent and just got bad information. Now we know he chose to ignore credible information because it didn't help him with his reasoning for invading Iraq.

So I need verification of your story.

So it is hard to take you guys seriously. Fox has been known to lie. They were even taken to court and the verdict was that it is ok for Fox to lie. So why should we believe them when we know they lie and it is legal for them to do so?

Can you post verification for yours? I never heard of such a lawsuit. Should be interesting reading.

And please, no huff-puff or any other blog-type source.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Newby. What do you have to say about this story that broke last year about Bush/Paulson wanting zero oversite of these details?

The deal proposed by Paulson is nothing short of outrageous. It includes no oversight of his own closed-door operations. It merely gives congressional blessing and funding to what he has already been doing, ad hoc. He plans to retain Wall Street firms as advisors to decide just how to cut deals to value and mop up Wall Street's dubious paper. There are to be no limits on executive compensation for the firms that get relief, and no equity share for the government in exchange for this massive infusion of capital.

We told you this was happening last year. Now you are telling us as if Obama came up with the idea?

What is now central to the justified outrage is how Geithner failed to fully explain these bonuses to the current administration - or did in fact explain them and this administration shrugged about it...or both Geithner and Summers actually pushed to have the bonus protection inserted into last month's stimulus bill at the direction of the president, or....

You see, while one can be upset over Paulson and Co. for their role in this mess last fall, the greater blame now lies directly at the feet of the Obama administration and the Democrat Congress.

Read that Salon article - who is setting up who? Was Dodd truly behind the scheme to protect his campaign contributor AIG, or was his hand forced by the Obama administration, who is now attempting to hang it around the neck of Dodd?? Is Obama playing a role in this, or is he simply a mouthpiece and the White House is being run by various advisors and czars...THESE are the questions you must now ask and seek to find answers for.

Yesterday one of you even tried to pretend Dick Cheney didn't out Valerie Wilson, even though Scooter was convicted of obstructing justice and lying to prosecutors.

Example. They might truly believe what they are reporting, but the source of their information is bad. So they aren't obligated to have facts on their show.

Very similar to the Yellow Cake from africa/WMD/Downing Street memo's information Bush got. He got to pretend that he was innocent and just got bad information. Now we know he chose to ignore credible information because it didn't help him with his reasoning for invading Iraq.

I suggest you forward that request on to Salon - a long standing liberal leaning publication who ran with the story implicating the Obama administration in this AIG fiasco...

There is no doubt in my mind that Bush and Paulson fucked up last year in these bailouts. Who hands over billions upon billions of dollars to a company that screwed itself into a situation where they needed those billions in the first place and puts zero conditions on that money? Patsys.

But Geithner was key last fall in putting together the AIG bailout. He knew about these bonus contracts, they tried to get out of them, they couldn't. So why all the fake outrage and lies?

Lawyers working for both AIG and the Treasury spent hours poring over the contracts between the company and employees with the FP arm to see if it could renege on its 2008 bonuses.

The eventual advice - given the contracts stated that 2008 bonuses had to be equal to the value of 2007 bonuses, which related to a much stronger financial performance and had already been paid - was no, and so the bonuses were paid, last Friday.

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

* Don't know why the link says 'Whoops . . . ' Click on it, it will take you to the correct article. *

Last edited:

Look you weasel...Scooter nor Cheney outted Plame. Listen up...it was Richard Armitage That outted her. :cuckoo: Go back and do your homework sonny. There were posts from yesterday, but you being the political hack that you are, just like to deny the facts. Get the facts before you post your yarns. Again I will also say...seeing that you just hit and run....Plame wasn't covert either. I bet that's news your bias ass doesn't want to accept. :cuckoo:

PS....Don't let the facts get in the way of your story :lol:

Last edited:

I suggest you forward that request on to Salon - a long standing liberal leaning publication who ran with the story implicating the Obama administration in this AIG fiasco...

Just because you say Salon is a lefty source, doesn't make it so. And we first heard about this from Fox.

But you should start to question any and all information you get from Fox, huh?

So what do we know now and what don't we know?

We don't know who pulled out the stipulation in committee that aig exec's do not get bonus'. And Diane Feinstein tried to limit their bonus' to $100K.

So we don't know who pulled out the NO BONUS stipulation in committee. Was it Dodd? Was it a Republican? We don't know.

Thom Hartmann says only Harry Reid probably knows. He better dish.

And we know that Rush and Fox got it wrong, and probably on purpose.

So no one should listen to either of them, unless you are into hate/lies and bullshit.

Just because you say Salon is a lefty source, doesn't make it so. And we first heard about this from Fox.

We don't know who pulled out the stipulation in committee that aig exec's do not get bonus'. And Diane Feinstein tried to limit their bonus' to $100K.

So we don't know who pulled out the NO BONUS stipulation in committee. Was it Dodd? Was it a Republican? We don't know.

So no one should listen to either of them, unless you are into hate/lies and bullshit.

Let's leave out all your other pedantic rants, because it is that one line that shows some credible intelligence.

If we are to believe Harry Reid knows the source of the change in bonus protection amendment, then why has he not come out and shared that information?

If it was in fact a Republican who made that change, would Reid not have already spread that fact to the media en masse?

No, Reid has not done this....giving clear indication that he is protecting who? The obvious answer would be someone within his own party - perhaps even himself.

What we do know is that Dodd is laying blame on Geithner - even the White House press secretary picked up that ball and ran with it - while Geithner and Larry Summers are declining to respond to the specific issue.

As for Obama, he is going on Jay Leno...

Look you weasel...Scooter nor Cheney outted Plame. Listen up...it was Richard Armitage That outted her. :cuckoo: Go back and do your homework sonny. There were posts from yesterday, but you being the political hack that you are, just like to deny the facts. Get the facts before you post your yarns. Again I will also say...seeing that you just hit and run....Plame wasn't covert either. I bet that's news your bias ass doesn't want to accept. :cuckoo:

PS....Don't let the facts get in the way of your story :lol:

I have already seen all the facts and yes Valerie Plames was covert.

In fact, people died when Cheney/Libby/Armitage outted her. People who helped her or were friends with her overseas are all in fear for their lives.

You just want to blame Armitage. He's your fall guy. You guys are pathetic. Scooter was convicted for lying and obstructing justice. Why? Was he protecting Richard Armitage?

Why did Armitage do it? You silly little liar.

Just like torture. You sent those guards at Abu Grabe to prison when it was Rumsfeld who told everyone to torture.

These are facts. Please explain to me what agenda Richard Armitage had on his own against Joe Wilson and Valerie Plames?

It was Cheney, and you know it. To deny it only further hurts your credibility.

And you lied and/or got it wrong on this Dodd story all day yesterday.

To me, you have zero credibility.

Fascinating take on the series of events that led to the AIG bonus fiasco from Firedoglake.

All of this continues to beg the question - WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE WHITE HOUSE?

In the midst of this blow up, Obama runs off to do a stint on Jay Leno??

Very odd...

Firedoglake » Treasury Attempts to “Blame Dodd” for AIG Bonuses

No more links from you please. :eusa_pray:

Now you dissapoint Bobo. If you truly seek truth, you must then seek information.

That link, among others posted in this thread, shows a fascinating timeline of events leading to this AIG bonus fiasco.

You would do well to educate yourself on the very issues you so willingly share opinions on.

Let's leave out all your other pedantic rants, because it is that one line that shows some credible intelligence.

If we are to believe Harry Reid knows the source of the change in bonus protection amendment, then why has he not come out and shared that information?

If it was in fact a Republican who made that change, would Reid not have already spread that fact to the media en masse?

No, Reid has not done this....giving clear indication that he is protecting who? The obvious answer would be someone within his own party - perhaps even himself.

What we do know is that Dodd is laying blame on Geithner - even the White House press secretary picked up that ball and ran with it - while Geithner and Larry Summers are declining to respond to the specific issue.

Unblievable! It appears all of the supposed outrage over the AIG bonuses is a complete fabrication - at least when viewed through the prism of the very bailout history constructed by the current Democrat leadership.

None other than Chris Dodd, who is now threatening to tax back the bonuses to the US government, protected these very bonuses with his own amendment contained within the stimulus bill.

Protect the bonuses followed by outrage over the bonuses you protected.

Oh, and guess who received over a hundred thousand in campaign contributions from AIG?

Ah, yes...

Amid AIG Furor, Dodd Tries to Undo Bonus Protections He Put In - FOXBusiness.com

Rush Limbaugh agrees with Dodd. Once you decide to rescue a company, you are also repairing their authority to make compensation decisions, as well as honoring pre-existing contracts -- unless you decide to take the company over, and have government run a private business.

The real problem occurred with Reagan's destruction of the Sherman Act. This lead to merger mania, and companies growing too large. Do you know how many innocent people would be destroyed by AIGs collapse? Why were they allowed to get so big?

We were told that the market knows how to efficiently allocate resources; we were told that the market rewards productivity. We were told to move government out of the way so businesses could grow as big as they want. We were told that the market could be trusted to manage its own size and risk-levels. The more we learn about the big business corporatacracy running Washington and the country, the more we learn that we should never have believed Reagan, that is, we should never have trusted business and left the market to its own device. AIG proves that the market doesn't reward excellence but corruption and failure. It's time for Government to enact heavy regulations. The free market turned out to be a corrupt farce. We should clean out Washington and start over with people willing to watch business very carefully. Today, we have the opposite. Washington is on the payroll. The market bought our government and sunk our economy.

When everything is for sale, and profit is the highest value, than... everything is purchased -- including government.

Suckers.

Last edited:
Fascinating take on the series of events that led to the AIG bonus fiasco from Firedoglake.

All of this continues to beg the question - WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE WHITE HOUSE?

In the midst of this blow up, Obama runs off to do a stint on Jay Leno??

Very odd...

Firedoglake » Treasury Attempts to “Blame Dodd” for AIG Bonuses

No more links from you please. :eusa_pray:

Now you dissapoint Bobo. If you truly seek truth, you must then seek information.

That link, among others posted in this thread, shows a fascinating timeline of events leading to this AIG bonus fiasco.

You would do well to educate yourself on the very issues you so willingly share opinions on.

You too. We looked into your sources and found them to be lies. What say you?

Media ignore Bush Treasury Department role in last year's AIG bailouts, notwithstanding bonus packages

Media Matters - Media ignore Bush Treasury Department role in last year's AIG bailouts, notwithstanding bonus packages

And I will wait to see who the rogue Senator is who stripped out the bonus clause. Could be a Democrat, but that certainly doesn't mean the Democratic party as a whole is involved.

But we do know that the GOP leadership from 2000-2006 is very much responsible for the mess we are in. Add to that Bush's appointees the last 2 years have continued the distruction of America as we knew it.

It is you who forgets all the shit that happened from 2000-now. Now you have revisionist history.

Anyways, we were all outraged yesterday at Dodd, and now we feel a little stupid for listening to your bullshit. Never again.

So, he can stay up past 9:00 unlike "he who's name is not to be mentioned."

I will wait a day or two and see what comes out in the wash. If Dodd screwed up, then he screwed up. If someone else did, you will ignore it and move on.org.:lol:

Right now that's all the right has. They aren't doing anything, so they have to attack Obama and the left who are trying to do something.

Here is the text of a letter Geithner sent to Pelosi yesterday attempting to explain the AIG fiasco...

Full text of Geithner letter to Pelosi - The Irish Times - Wed, Mar 18, 2009

Ok, I just read the details from a liberal source, NPR, and it seems that Obama and the Congress knew about the bonus' for awhile now and only became upset when we found out about it.

Yes, this bothers me. Yes, this does show how in some ways, the Dems are just as corrupt as the GOP.

But that doesn't for a second mean the GOP should be put back in charge.

Because if Bush or McCain were in charge, there would be no transparency and no oversite.

You can not deny that.

So if anything, you might be able to say that the Dems are just as bad as the GOP, but you can never say they are worse.

Remember Bush wanted this written into the $750 billion bailout?

Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

Here is the text of a letter Geithner sent to Pelosi yesterday attempting to explain the AIG fiasco...

Full text of Geithner letter to Pelosi - The Irish Times - Wed, Mar 18, 2009

From the article:

I know that much of the public ire has fallen on Mr. Liddy, which is understandable, since it is his name on the door. But it also is unjustified. Mr. Liddy was put in place as the CEO of AIG last year at the request of the U.S. government to help rehabilitate the company and repay taxpayer funds. He inherited a difficult situation, including these AIGFP retention contracts, which were entered prior to his or the government’s involvement in AIG. As long as he is there, we will work with him on measures to wind down AIG in an orderly way and protect the American taxpayer.

When the government decided to bailout AIG the contracts were a done deal. The government should honor these contracts - no retro-taxing. I'm not saying that the AIG execs deserve any type of bonus; but these contracts were a done deal, Geithner put together the AIG package and he is lying when he says he just found out about this last week.

Forum List

Back