Democrat State rep confirms that son is subject of Palin e-mail chatter

I missed where anyone said that someone breaking into her private account was her fault.

Can you point me to that? TIA.

There are some in the media that are "inferring" that--especially left wing media outlets. But, really I don't know any government agency or person working for the government that doesn't have that kind of e-mail address? They use standard gov. yahoo, msm, gmail addresse's in my state.

Did you notice the "gov" on that e-mail? This is definitely a felony. In my county all officials of the county government & state government have that gov. in it. That's mean I know I am sending an email to a government agency.

but it wasn't a .gov account, ie it wasn't like [email protected], which would be a government address.

It was gov.palin@yahoo.com. The gov in the address was part of her name (governor palin), not part of the domain (?) that the account was with.

I am not saying that it is not a felony, I have no idea. The kid shoud be prosecuted.

The Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510 et. seq., 2701–2710) was initially enacted to criminalize eavesdropping. In 1986 Congress updated this privacy legislation so that it was not limited to conduct involving traditional wires and electronic communications. The EPCA now covers all forms of digital communications.

18 USC § 2314, prohibiting interstate transport of stolen, converted, or fraudulently obtained material; does apply to computer data files U.S. v. Riggs, 739 F.Supp. 414 (N.D.Ill 1990).

Each count is a felony and carries a max. of 5 years. So this boy is in a lot of trouble, however, traditionally, kids like this don't get a big punishment, , I wil cite you an example.

Riggs was first convicted in 1986 for his unauthorized use of a computer and was sentenced to a mere 15 days of community service and placed on probation for 18 months. 967 F.2d at 562. In 1990 Riggs was indicted again for making unauthorized access to computers, during which he stole proprietary information from a telephone company. This time he was sentenced to 21 months in prison, followed by two years of "supervised release" during which time he was forbidden to either own or use any computer for his personal use. Riggs was allowed to use computers in his employment, if supervised by someone. This sentence was upheld on appeal. 967 F.2d at 563.

I missed where anyone said that someone breaking into her private account was her fault.

Can you point me to that? TIA.

[QUOTE]And more to the point, what will our punishment be if we elect someone moronic enough to conduct government business with such an easily hackable account? Ravi[/QUOTE]

but it wasn't a .gov account, ie it wasn't like [email protected], which would be a government address.

It was gov.palin@yahoo.com. The gov in the address was part of her name (governor palin), not part of the domain (?) that the account was with.

I am not saying that it is not a felony, I have no idea. The kid shoud be prosecuted.

OK--got it--it was a personal-private e-mail address. I misunderstood from what I previously read.

[QUOTE]And more to the point, what will our punishment be if we elect someone moronic enough to conduct government business with such an easily hackable account? Ravi
[/QUOTE]

Listen to some of the left wing talking heads on the Obama media networks. Believe me you'll hear it.

OK--got it--it was a personal-private e-mail address. I misunderstood from what I previously read.

Had it been a .gov account say [email protected] or something along those lines oreo, I'm not an attorney, but am pretty sure the state of Alaska might want to talk to that kid too. In this case though, I think it's her personel e-mail account on yahoo at least thats all I have seen so far.

So you want to know how the *spin* machine is going to spin this one, well here it is..

Still, it's really a wondrous, and repugnant, sight to behold the Bush-following lynch mobs on the Right melodramatically defend the Virtues of Privacy and the Rule of Law. These, of course, are the same authoritarians who have cheered on every last expansion of the Lawless Surveillance State of the last eight years -- put their fists in the air with glee as the Federal Government seized the power to listen to innocent Americans' telephone calls; read our emails; obtain our banking, credit card, and library records; and create vast data bases of every call we make and receive and every prescription we fill and every instance of travel and other vast categories of information that remain largely unknown -- all without warrants or oversight of any kind and often in clear violation of the law. Salon.com
What does Sarah Palin have to hide in her Yahoo e-mails? - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Basically, what the logic is, by being upset that some little low life, hacked into a Sarah Palins e-mail, then posted it, its mean to to suggest he should be punished because he it was a prank.

I dont care for Palin at all but making an issue of her using her work e-mail for personal use is just stupid and a waste of time. I would say 90% of people who sit in front of a computer for most of the day do the same thing. We all do it.

I dont care for Palin at all but making an issue of her using her work e-mail for personal use is just stupid and a waste of time. I would say 90% of people who sit in front of a computer for most of the day do the same thing. We all do it.

Most business people I know jschuck as well as govt. people use a personal e-mail account. In some business environments as well as govt. depts. you can be fired or released for using the corporate or govt. e-mail account to send personal e-mail. I think it's sort of a ridicilous thing to focus attention on the contents of a stolen private e-mail account when the focus should be on the crime itself and the person the did the crime.

Most business people I know jschuck as well as govt. people use a personal e-mail account. In some business environments as well as govt. depts. you can be fired or released for using the corporate or govt. e-mail account to send personal e-mail. I think it's sort of a ridicilous thing to focus attention on the contents of a stolen private e-mail account when the focus should be on the crime itself and the person the did the crime.

Well Navy, I dont work for the Government and in corporate america when you are a manager they work you like a Dog so when you spend 12+ hours a day in the office, sometimes you need to e-mail your wife because its easier than calling her. As for focusing on the crime, well, you probably read my earlier post and I think they should prosecute him. Whats fair is fair. Just because I'm for Obama doesnt mean I cant agree with you on ethics, right?

Well Navy, I dont work for the Government and in corporate america when you are a manager they work you like a Dog so when you spend 12+ hours a day in the office, sometimes you need to e-mail your wife because its easier than calling her. As for focusing on the crime, well, you probably read my earlier post and I think they should prosecute him. Whats fair is fair. Just because I'm for Obama doesnt mean I cant agree with you on ethics, right?

exactly and I completely agree with you. , I think I said it earlier, I don't believe for a second that the Obama campaign is dumb enough to pull a stunt like this. I do think however, though that no matter what you or I think that ANY tie to the Obama campaign in this matter won't be helpful no matter how remote.

exactly and I completely agree with you. , I think I said it earlier, I don't believe for a second that the Obama campaign is dumb enough to pull a stunt like this. I do think however, though that no matter what you or I think that ANY tie to the Obama campaign in this matter won't be helpful no matter how remote.

Your probably right but once again its all pointless. I cant believe anyone would think Obama had anything to do with it and therefore dont see it holding water except for follow up on the kid getting prosecuted.

Yes, we all do it. But we aren't all government officials.

Here's why it's a problem. When you elect or hire a government official, you are electing or hiring someone that represents you, and their job and their government correspondence should be open and above board, not secreted away from the people they serve. Job related correspondence of a government official should become part of the public record. Using personal accounts to conduct government business allows for secrecy when there should be openness, because personal email accounts are not meant to be part of the public record. I'm surprised Navy doesn't understand this.

US law states that all e-mails relating to the official business of government must be archived and not destroyed. However, it does allow for personal e-mails to be deleted.

Mrs Palin is being investigated in Alaska for alleged abuse of power while governor of the state.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7624809.stm

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's why it's a problem. When you elect or hire a government official, you are electing or hiring someone that represents you, and their job and their government correspondence should be open and above board, not secreted away from the people they serve. Job related correspondence of a government official should become part of the public record. Using personal accounts to conduct government business allows for secrecy when there should be openness, because personal email accounts are not meant to be part of the public record. I'm surprised Navy doesn't understand this.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Palin e-mail hack details emerge
That's your philosophy. As to whether it is a matter of Alaskan state law is another issue entirely. Perhaps it is; but even your fellow liberal admitted there was nothing of interest evn though the collective fevered imaginings of the liberals assured him there would be.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Palin e-mail hack details emerge

I do understand that completely Ravi, however, that does not preclude the fact, that a crime was committed in order to obtain the personal e-mail. Further, I won't lend credence to someone that obtains information Illegally no matter the contents, and in this case the contents don't expose anything except personal matters. However, in the case of a govt. employee as stated above using a personal e-mail account to conduct govt. business is prohibited. If there was a suspicion that a person was doing such a thing within an organization there is a LEGAL way to obtain the information from that persons personal e-mail account. The only people in this matter that have any legal standing other that Sarah Palin herself, would be Gawker. because of a Supreme Court decision that holds them harmless under the 1st Amendment.

Using a work email for personal business is one thing, and I agree, everyone does it.

The problem here (beside the crime that should be prosecuted against the kid) is that Palin used a private email account for government work.

I heard on some show that she had these sorts of accounts set up when she became governor, for her staff etc, so that they could have a means to discuss business that was not through official channels. This is what Rove, Bush, Rummy, etc did too - and it flies in the face of the idea of transparency in government. Unfortunately I don't recall the show I saw it on, but the newspapers say similar stuff

The break-in of Palin's private account is especially significant because Palin sometimes uses non-government e-mail to conduct state business. Previously disclosed e-mails indicate her administration embraced Yahoo accounts as an alternative to government e-mail, which could possibly be released to the public under Alaska's Open Records Act.

The Associated Press: Hacker: impersonated Palin, stole e-mail password

Last edited:

and in what way does this reflect on Obama anyway?

The kids dad is a democrat....is that your connection? that's pretty thin...

not ot mention I've been doing nothing but watching the news lately and I haven't even seen this mentioned....

this is barely a story...

Forum List

Back