Decreasing Lobbyists by Decreasing Government

Christopher

Aug 7, 2009
I have a theory about how to decrease lobbyists and particularly lobbyist money given to politicians. I believe that at least one of the main reasons we have so much lobbying going on is because of the amount of power/control the government has. In theory, if we decrease government/power and control we could decrease incentives for lobbying. Just like balancing an equation in mathematics, why can’t we decrease lobbying on one side of the equation by decreasing government power on the other? Any thoughts?

Ive been arguing the same point for a long time now. If we follow the Constitution and everyone knows we will, there will be no need for alot of the special interests to lobby Congress.

Ive been arguing the same point for a long time now. If we follow the Constitution and everyone knows we will, there will be no need for alot of the special interests to lobby Congress.

I agree. I think there are many who are for more government power/control that may not even realize they are creating more jobs for lobbyists, which ends up giving we the people even less power/control.

I have a theory about how to decrease lobbyists and particularly lobbyist money given to politicians. I believe that at least one of the main reasons we have so much lobbying going on is because of the amount of power/control the government has. In theory, if we decrease government/power and control we could decrease incentives for lobbying. Just like balancing an equation in mathematics, why can’t we decrease lobbying on one side of the equation by decreasing government power on the other? Any thoughts?

You've hit the nail on the head by decreasing the power of government we decrease the overall influence of lobbyists, corporations and other special interests on our daily lives. That being said, I would suggest that the first steps toward this aim is to begin to return to the decentralized model of government envisioned by the framers and typified by Jefferson's views, since local government is most accountable to the citizenry it governs, followed by state, followed by federal. Therefore power should only be directed upwards from the local level when it is necessary to provide legitimate functions of government that cannot be reasonably carried out at the local scale, then from the state level and so on.

2009 topped all previous years with monies received buy politicians from lobbyist

Hows that ,we will fundamentally change how DC does business going??

Its always about the money,every time. You have a great idea,now how do we go about shrinking the blob,freeze it like old Steve did in the movies? Cut the money supply off? DC has become a black hole were nothing can resist its pull,especially your back pocket. The feds project that they will hire over 140k jobs in 2010 alone,how can this e good?

Now that is some back-assward logic. If politicians weren't being hounded and tempted with bribes 24/7, they might actually be able to focus on the REAL persons who voted for them. I say not one dime can go to a politician from any group. Only from an individual. And a cap on each contribution from an individual to $50. Problem solved.

Now that is some back-assward logic. If politicians weren't being hounded and tempted with bribes 24/7, they might actually be able to focus on the REAL persons who voted for them. I say not one dime can go to a politician from any group. Only from an individual. And a cap on each contribution from an individual to $50. Problem solved.
There ya go. The answer to the problem: more regulation.

If the politicians have less control over things then what reason would a lobbyist have to put the effort in to try to sway someone? Would you try to convince a corrections officer to release a prisoner if he was your brother? Of course not; he doesn't have the power to do it.

Last edited:
There is a new twist.

Politicians, as pure as the wind driven snow are hounded day and night, night and day until at the last, they being only human after all, succumb to the temptations of that vile wench, Lobbi!

Are you fucking kidding Me?

If the people of this country didn't think that government was the only way to solve a problem, they wouldn't be petitioning and/or bribing politicians to give them more of what they have no entitlement to!

There is a new twist.

Politicians, as pure as the wind driven snow are hounded day and night, night and day until at the last, they being only human after all, succumb to the temptations of that vile wench, Lobbi!

If the people of this country didn't think that government was the only way to solve a problem, they wouldn't be petitioning and/or bribing politicians to give them more of what they have no entitlement to!

Who said politicians are innocent? People are greedy and when you've got big pharma dangling millions in your face, it's kinda hard to say no if it is not illegal - especially when you're running for office. I say we take the money completely out of the equation. That way, congressmen can focus on serving us and multinationals can put that money toward... well, they could "create jobs" like they were supposed to with the unnecessary tax breaks they get or stop the wage decline. Lots of things they could do with all that money. Then again, they'd probably just make already outlandish bonuses even more obscene for their CEO's.

There is a new twist.

Who said politicians are innocent? People are greedy and when you've got big pharma dangling millions in your face, it's kinda hard to say no if it is not illegal - especially when you're running for office. I say we take the money completely out of the equation. That way, congressmen can focus on serving us and multinationals can put that money toward... well, they could "create jobs" like they were supposed to with the unnecessary tax breaks they get or stop the wage decline. Lots of things they could do with all that money. Then again, they'd probably just make already outlandish bonuses even more obscene for their CEO's.

So, how is the government supposed to regulate itself from taking money? Sounds like a conflict of interest. Take away the power, you take away the money.

Forum List

Back