Dear God make it So: End of the IRS...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://drudgereport.com/rnc.htm

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN AUG 01, 2004 21:01:25 ET XXXXX

REPUBLICANS PLAN PUSH FOR ELIMINATION OF IRS

**Exclusive**

A domestic centerpiece of the Bush/GOP agenda for a second Bush term is getting rid of the Internal Revenue Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The Speaker of the House will push for replacing the nation's current tax system with a national sales tax or a value added tax, Hill sources tell DRUDGE.

"People ask me if I’m really calling for the elimination of the IRS, and I say I think that’s a great thing to do for future generations of Americans," Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert explains in his new book, to be released on Wednesday.

"Pushing reform legislation will be difficult. Change of any sort seldom comes easy. But these changes are critical to our economic vitality and our economic security abroad," Hastert declares in SPEAKER: LESSONS FROM FORTY YEARS IN COACHING AND POLITICS.

"“If you own property, stock, or, say, one hundred acres of farmland and tax time is approaching, you don’t want to make a mistake, so you’re almost obliged to go to a certified public accountant, tax preparer, or tax attorney to help you file a correct return. That costs a lot of money. Now multiply the amount you have to pay by the total number of people who are in the same boat. You can’t. No one can because precise numbers don’t exist. But we can stipulate that we’re talking about a huge amount. Now consider that a flat tax, national sales tax, or VAT would not only eliminate the need to do this, it could also eliminate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself and make the process of paying taxes much easier."

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity. If you can do that, you can change gross national product and start growing the economy. You could double the economy over the next fifteen years. All of a sudden, the problem of what future generations owe in Social Security and Medicare won’t be so daunting anymore. The answer is to grow the economy, and the key to doing that is making sure we have a tax system that attracts capital and builds incentives to keep it here instead of forcing it out to other nations."

Developing...

Finally. True Conservatism is starting to push through. I liked Bush for his stance on Terror but he has been anything but conservative with money. This is a HUGE step in the right direction.

insein said:

Finally. True Conservatism is starting to push through. I liked Bush for his stance on Terror but he has been anything but conservative with money. This is a HUGE step in the right direction.

This is Hasterts doing, right? I didn't read anything about Bush being behind it, or is this one of those 'behind the scenes' deal?

A domestic centerpiece of the Bush/GOP agenda for a second Bush term is getting rid of the Internal Revenue Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Hassert is pushing but Bush is promoting. Truthfully its the Congress that runs this country anyway. Always has been. always will be.

Indeed. It needs total support from a Republican senate though to pass. Dems will NEVER go for this and i beleive some Reps won't either. Thats why this election is important. You'll only get a few chances to make a BIG difference in this country. Getting rid of the ridiculous IRS is one of them.

Think about how much money in payroll, benefits and overhead will be reduced from the budget by eliminating the IRS. We could probably delete another dozen or so useless entities while we're at it.

I'm all for a 17% flat tax. I would only go for a national sales tax if they repealed the 16th (?) amendment legalizing income taxes. I can just see a 5% nat'l sales tax put into place by the GOP, then when the Dems get back into power, putting the income tax back into place.

Need to make it so that its one or the other. Whatever wording they need, they have to do that or else it could be a field day for Dems if they regained power.

insein said:

Drudge report? What's funnier is you probably think it's a legit news source.

I just returned from a week on Bermuda , they don't have an income tax. They do have big import fees and sales taxes . They seem to do pretty well with that , the people I came in contact with were very nice and had incredible attitudes . It was also an extremely clean place with great roads . Gas was 5 dollars a gallon and families were only allowed 1 car but they could have as many scooters as they wanted (had to be 100cc or less) .

Speaker hassert was on the Don Giordano show today (local talk radio) he mentioned his IRS agenda briefly but it wasnt long enough to get details other than to know its on the agenda. so somethings in the works. i want to know more details though. I know we need some major reforms i just hope we do it carefully so we dont have any unintended consequences.

Getting rid of the IRS is a great idea. The libertarian party has been pushing this for years now. The GOP unfortunately want to follow this with the creation of a national sales tax. This is a horrible idea.

Why not elliminate the IRS and replace it with NOTHING. As others have pointed out, this election is very important. A vote for Bush or Kerry is a vote to continue to pay more and more every year. A vote for Badnarik is a vote that says, enough is enough, and will force the government to get by on less and less every year. This is the year to send a message to the two tax and spend parties.

Bushs father promised no new taxes. a decade later we have his party is pretending to want to elliminate the IRS. I have serious reseverations whether they will actual elliminate it and on top of that replacing it with a new tax is no improvement.

Travis

here is a press release from the Badnarik campaign I just found on their website regarding Hasterts 'plan'.

http://www.badnarik.org/PressRoom/archive.php?p=685

The key? "If you want to cut taxes, you have to cut spending," he says. "The Republicans have proven for the last four years that they aren't willing to do that. Running up debt to be paid off by inflating the currency or taxing our grandchildren isn't an answer."

Even excluding defense, federal spending -- along with the deficit -- is now at its highest level since WWII.

And I'm not George W. Bush. Bush promised us tax cuts, too. And he delivered -- a whopping 1%, phased in over ten years.

Forum List

Back