Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

We have laws. Those laws must be enforced.

and she obeyed the law. and gave more than most people ever do for their country.

I think you honor the fallen soldier by honoring his mother.

and every law has exceptions. in court there is always the option for the judge to act 'in the interests of justice'. why should something like this be different.

Not since the tough on crime right got mandatory sentencing going.

So all deathbed wishes should be honored? Personally I think there's more to the story than what is being revealed.

Stop making broad generalizations. This is a wish from a dead soldier. If any should be honored, it is that one. This woman lost her son in defense of this country, citizenship is the least that this country could do.

How do you know it was his last wish? Did he leave a will, did he tell you personally or is it something you read in an article? Some people are just gullible.

The fact that he was her sponsor gives anyone with half a brain an idea of what he wanted.

We have laws. Those laws must be enforced.

and she obeyed the law. and gave more than most people ever do for their country.

I think you honor the fallen soldier by honoring his mother.

and every law has exceptions. in court there is always the option for the judge to act 'in the interests of justice'. why should something like this be different.
Obviously, she must not have obeyed all the laws. Otherwise, this wouldn't be an issue.

Fact is, it WAS HER SON who gave more than most people ever do for their country.

I'm quite sure her son who raised his hand and served, would also want our laws enforced. Otherwise, he served under false pretences.

so diamond if you are born here but of illegals its no?

do tell me what you consider worthy of citizenship...

does being a vet make you more worthy?

Being born of legal citizens within our borders... cool
Going thru the legal process whatever it takes.. cool
In an offer by the government in return for a service such as been seen with foreign nationals who help during war, in return for legal and agreed to service in our military, etc... cool (as long as it is public and legal)

But just because this woman (of whom the whole story is not known) is still in process even though her citizen son lost his life in the military, I do not support an instant free pass... NOW.. with mourning etc I could understand extending time on deadlines, etc as long as that is in the guidelines and made the same for ALL applicants and not just some special case... but I in no way support an elimination of hurdles or thwarting the process for a teary eyed human nature story

Have you ever helped someone apply for citizenship here in the US? I have, because the military has a program for that. If a foreign national (it started with Phillippinos) served the military for a set period of time, they were allowed to earn full citizenship.

Good program by the way.

His mother? She came here legally from Peru on a visa. She was able to keep getting it extended, and finally, after her son became a citizen, he decided to sponsor her for a permanent green card. (Citizens of another country, if they are to be given a permanent green card, MUST be sponsored or spoken for, by a citizen of the US).

Her son was doing that for her. When he rotated back? She would finish the process (getting permanent status) and then they were going to go on vacation in Peru and come back here.

Because he died, she no longer has a US citizen sponsor. That is what the problem is, and why they are talking about deportation, because she no longer has a citizen to sponsor her, it was her son who was killed by some random lunatic BEHIND THE WIRE!

And yes, she should be given permanent status, she did nothing wrong, it was just really bad luck.

She should also be honored and respected as much as every other Gold Star Mother as well.

By the way, for those that don't know what a Gold Star Mother is, here's the article from wikipedia...........

Shortly after World War I the American Gold Star Mothers Inc. was formed in the United States to provide support for mothers that lost sons or daughters in the war. The name came from the custom of families of servicemen hanging a banner called a Service Flag in the window of their homes. The Service Flag had a star for each family member in the military. Living servicemen were represented by a blue star, and those who had lost their lives were represented by a gold star. Gold Star Mothers are often politically and socially active. Today, membership in the Gold Star Mothers is open to any American woman who has lost a son or daughter in service to the United States. On the last Sunday in September, Gold Star Mother's Day is observed in the U.S. in their honor.[1] The group holds a congressional charter under Title 36 of the United States Code.

Gold Star Mothers Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're welcome.

"This family has been through enough," said Jack Fanous, executive director of G.I. Go Fund, a Newark-based, non-profit advocacy group for veterans. Group members have accompanied the family on visits to the immigration office in Newark and to Menendez’s office. "For their son to give his life for this country, and for us to show this mother the door is unacceptable. This family’s price of admission has been paid above and beyond what we ask."

Totally agree with Menendez's comments.

Give the Mother her papers. Her son paid with his blood for them. A debt we cannot repay any other way.

Give her the damned papers and stop all the bullshit.

(and *I* am probably one of THE MOST anti-illegal immigration peeps you'll ever meet. I make Tom Tancredo look wimpy on immigration)

The Bueno-Galdos family came about 20 years ago, joining the tens of thousands of other Peruvians who have settled in Paterson over the years. Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported. The rest of the family had obtained their immigration documents, Galdos said, and Galdos held out hope that she, too, would be able to do so.

I think they came and were part of the amnesty..... that was how the rest of them got permanent residence status.

I have a feeling that at some time during her youth in Peru she was involved in something political, was possible part of some communist oriented group, and got busted for protesting....

Our gov is really a bunch of asses and goes knee jerk on that issue.... kinda like us continuing to try to bully Cuba.

Anyway, if he had been able to legalize her all she would have gotten was 1st, a work permit, then temp resident, then permanent resident, and then, on application and in queue, citizenship. The US Gov does not just "award citizenship." It just doesn't work that way. Loss of sponsor stops the process.

Obviously, she must not have obeyed all the laws. Otherwise, this wouldn't be an issue.

Fact is, it WAS HER SON who gave more than most people ever do for their country.

I'm quite sure her son who raised his hand and served, would also want our laws enforced. Otherwise, he served under false pretences.

the circumstance doesn't at all indicate she didn't obey the laws. in fact, her putting in her papers and her son sponsoring her meant she did everything right... including raising a son who wanted to put his life on the line for his adopted country.

i'm quite sure that her son would want his memory honored by assisting his mother. because THAT is the country he fought for.

the circumstance doesn't at all indicate she didn't obey the laws. in fact, her putting in her papers and her son sponsoring her meant she did everything right... including raising a son who wanted to put his life on the line for his adopted country.

i'm quite sure that her son would want his memory honored by assisting his mother. because THAT is the country he fought for.
They don't indicate she did obey the laws either.

Her son fought for this country. To include its laws.

And, are you saying that ALL mothers who raise sons who serve their country aren't law breakers, and should be exonerated for breaking laws since their sons, or daughters served?

That's an awfully weak argument.

And, are you saying that ALL mothers who raise sons who serve their country aren't law breakers, and should be exonerated for breaking laws since their sons, or daughters served?

i'd think they would have mentioned it if her status was endangered by violation of a law. the only reason her status is in jeopardy is her sponsor died in the service of his country.

so i'm not saying we should exonerate law breakers at all. i'm saying that we should do the right thing by THIS particular person about whom there is no indication of law breaking whatsoever.

I think you just decided what i was arguing and then argued against it. I prefer to state my own arguments. :thup:

i'd think they would have mentioned it if her status was endangered by violation of a law. the only reason her status is in jeopardy is her sponsor died in the service of his country.

so i'm not saying we should exonerate law breakers at all. i'm saying that we should do the right thing by THIS particular person about whom there is no indication of law breaking whatsoever.

I think you just decided what i was arguing and then argued against it. I prefer to state my own arguments. :thup:
We don't know the reason it was endangered. As a another poster stated, they could have found things in her past that raised red flags.

The fact that she raised a son who served means absolutely nothing.

Stop making broad generalizations. This is a wish from a dead soldier. If any should be honored, it is that one. This woman lost her son in defense of this country, citizenship is the least that this country could do.

How do you know it was his last wish? Did he leave a will, did he tell you personally or is it something you read in an article? Some people are just gullible.

The fact that he was her sponsor gives anyone with half a brain an idea of what he wanted.

I agree. Seems more that someone screwed up, bet she gets her green card:

...But after Christian died, the residency process stalled, said his father, Carlos Bueno. In a meeting with immigration authorities, the couple said, officials brought up the old deportation order. Since then, immigration officials have told the family, as well as aides to Sen. Bob Menendez, to whom the family turned for help, that they are still looking into the case.

Asked to comment on the Paterson mother’s application, immigration officials would not discuss the details of Galdos’ case, citing confidentiality...

We don't know the reason it was endangered. As a another poster stated, they could have found things in her past that raised red flags.

actually, if you ever dealt with helping anyone get their papers through immigration, you'd know that the reason it's endangered is her sponsor is no longer her sponsor. that means she has to start from scratch. she can also apply for an extension of her current status, but if her visa expires in the interim, she might have to leave and re-enter the country.... which upsets the whole process.

the poster who said she may have had something in her past was engaging in pure speculation. i don't put much credence in that.

And i disagree with you about her being a gold star mother. I think she made a huge sacrifice.

Tell that to my mother. I dare you.

Its unfortunate that the messiah and the messiah's political party, being in

total control of the entire government for more than a year, (and with this

whole fiasco happening entirely on his watch), can't or won't help the

women....

We can imagine what would be happening in the media if Bush was President.
Lefties would be having a false outrage conniption....

I think this is one of those instances where the law sucks. This young man died serving this country, the least we could do is honor the wish of his mother being granted citizenship. It isn't about the mother. It is about what a fallen soldier wanted.

Well, I am honestly curious as to WHY the law is considering deportation. It just seems strange to me that the rest of the family was granted legal resident status and she wasn't. I would really like to know why that was before I come down definitively in her favor.

Although obviously, it doesn't matter WHERE I stand on it, since it's not my decision to make.

okay i left...not meaning to say anything on this thread..but then it struck me...what did you people do ..not you crimson but the rest of you..other than being lucky enough to be born here...(i am deleting a lot of words cause we aint in the flame zone..but you know i am thinking them)

so tell me you pompous bunch of asses...what did you do to earn being a citizen?

step up and post what great things you have done to earn your citizenship?

bunch of mo fo assholes.....just think you are so damned special...and i want to know why...

Being born here is enough to earn citizenship.
But losing your son in service of this country isn't?

Legally, according to Immigration Law, no!

Forum List

Back