Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

If she was legal for 20 years and was in the process of becoming a citizen when her sponsor (her son) was killed . . . isn't she still legal and can't she just finish the process with a different sponsor?

I still don't understand why she is suddenly here 'not legally'. Or did I read that wrong again? Damn, I should go get a snack . . .

But losing your son in service of this country isn't?

No it is not.. and frankly... I don't like the whole thing of having the only stipulation of 'being born here'.... personally.. my stance would be that if you're born here of someone here illegally, you don't get the benefit of legal status....

I served with a person who's parents were not US citizens.. they were Belgian citizens who were still living in Belgium... and I would not support them (if he would have died in service to our country) getting instant citizenry or special treatment to become citizens simply because of a sacrifice of a soldier, even if it is their son... there is a process, follow the process, even if there are hurdles to jump along the way (whether they be massive hurdles or barely noticeable)

She was jumping hurdles. Her sponsor was KIA. You don't see this as a special circumstance?

As I stated.. no.. the sacrifice of another does not instantly give you a free pass.. nor should it....

As stated.. I hope she finishes following thru and if she does, I would be the first in line to congratulate her becoming a citizen.. and give my respects to her son, a fellow soldier, who gave a great sacrifice to this country.... but I am in no way for a free pass for a fell good story of any kind.. .follow the rules, and follow the process... no matter what hurdles arise

No it is not.. and frankly... I don't like the whole thing of having the only stipulation of 'being born here'.... personally.. my stance would be that if you're born here of someone here illegally, you don't get the benefit of legal status....

I served with a person who's parents were not US citizens.. they were Belgian citizens who were still living in Belgium... and I would not support them (if he would have died in service to our country) getting instant citizenry or special treatment to become citizens simply because of a sacrifice of a soldier, even if it is their son... there is a process, follow the process, even if there are hurdles to jump along the way (whether they be massive hurdles or barely noticeable)

She was jumping hurdles. Her sponsor was KIA. You don't see this as a special circumstance?

As I stated.. no.. the sacrifice of another does not instantly give you a free pass.. nor should it....

As stated.. I hope she finishes following thru and if she does, I would be the first in line to congratulate her becoming a citizen.. and give my respects to her son, a fellow soldier, who gave a great sacrifice to this country.... but I am in no way for a free pass for a fell good story of any kind.. .follow the rules, and follow the process... no matter what hurdles arise

We are just going to have to disagree.

so diamond if you are born here but of illegals its no?

do tell me what you consider worthy of citizenship...

does being a vet make you more worthy?

Being born of legal citizens within our borders... cool
Going thru the legal process whatever it takes.. cool
In an offer by the government in return for a service such as been seen with foreign nationals who help during war, in return for legal and agreed to service in our military, etc... cool (as long as it is public and legal)

But just because this woman (of whom the whole story is not known) is still in process even though her citizen son lost his life in the military, I do not support an instant free pass... NOW.. with mourning etc I could understand extending time on deadlines, etc as long as that is in the guidelines and made the same for ALL applicants and not just some special case... but I in no way support an elimination of hurdles or thwarting the process for a teary eyed human nature story

We are just going to have to disagree.

Maybe we'll have to.. but I feel rules and procedures are there for a reason and not just to be thrown away for human interest stories

Some people are here legally when the child is born, yet they become illegal when their visa runs out.

Would you consider the child to be natural born at birth, and then an illegal immigrant 6 months later when their parent's visa expires?

I think this is one of those instances where the law sucks. This young man died serving this country, the least we could do is honor the wish of his mother being granted citizenship. It isn't about the mother. It is about what a fallen soldier wanted.

i agree 100%

and as far as ''what did she do?''

she lost her son, for us.

Exactly. She gave her son.

okay i left...not meaning to say anything on this thread..but then it struck me...what did you people do ..not you crimson but the rest of you..other than being lucky enough to be born here...(i am deleting a lot of words cause we aint in the flame zone..but you know i am thinking them)

so tell me you pompous bunch of asses...what did you do to earn being a citizen?

step up and post what great things you have done to earn your citizenship?

bunch of mo fo assholes.....just think you are so damned special...and i want to know why...

Being born here is enough to earn citizenship.

no

But she is living here - legally. She did everything right and gave her son in service to this country. I say she should stay - and more than that - I say we owe her a 'thank you'.

Thank her for what?

I would have to disagree. This kid gave what Lincoln called the last full measure of devotion. His wish was that his mother could stay here. I don't think that is too much to grant.

So all deathbed wishes should be honored? Personally I think there's more to the story than what is being revealed.

Stop making broad generalizations. This is a wish from a dead soldier. If any should be honored, it is that one. This woman lost her son in defense of this country, citizenship is the least that this country could do.

I would have to disagree. This kid gave what Lincoln called the last full measure of devotion. His wish was that his mother could stay here. I don't think that is too much to grant.

So all deathbed wishes should be honored? Personally I think there's more to the story than what is being revealed.

No, you look at the circumstances of each case. This one isn't a hard one to decide...

Stop making broad generalizations. This is a wish from a dead soldier. If any should be honored, it is that one. This woman lost her son in defense of this country, citizenship is the least that this country could do.

How do you know it was his last wish? Did he leave a will, did he tell you personally or is it something you read in an article? Some people are just gullible.

We have laws. Those laws must be enforced.

and she obeyed the law. and gave more than most people ever do for their country.

I think you honor the fallen soldier by honoring his mother.

and every law has exceptions. in court there is always the option for the judge to act 'in the interests of justice'. why should something like this be different.

Forum List

Back