1667775241504.png

AMC (American Motor Corporation)
1667775324262.png

Plymouth
1667775451835.png

Scion
1667775581810.png

Had two Saturns for awhile.
Probably the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. Didn't rust.
Ex is still driving the Ion.
One of the few four cylinders that had a timing chain instead of those shitty timing belts.
Those suckers were everywhere for awhile.
Every other GM I ever owned was garbage.

Oldsmobile , Mercury, Pontiac, Plymouth. All good brands done in by poor management. My aunt still has her AMC Rebel. :) :thup: :thup:
They were all just knock offs of GM, Ford and Chrysler. Some still exist--Buick, Lincoln and Dodge. AMC was just rebranded Rambler. How about Hudson, Studebaker, Tucker and Morris?

With the exception of Edsel and AMC, I still see many cars on the road that are on that list.

There's a lot not far from where I live, with a whole bunch of rusty remains of Edsels.

1667792607845.png

A caretaker told me, some years ago, that all of those cars arrived there in excellent condition, a very long time ago, and were left there to rot.

There's a lot not far from where I live, with a whole bunch of rusty remains of Edsels.

View attachment 721944

A caretaker told me, some years ago, that all of those cars arrived there in excellent condition, a very long time ago, and were left there to rot.
There used to be (mid 70s) a guy south of there in Salida, that had a big collection of those--I wonder if they might be one and the same.

The Willys brand lives on, today, as a trim name on some Jeep models.

I came across some interesting trivia, not long ago. When the Army put out a specification for a general purpose wheeled vehicle, (or GPW), two companies ended up manufacturing it—Ford and Willys. When the GPW ended up being nicknamed “Jeep”, Willys jumped on the name, and trademarked it. Both Ford and Willys continued to make the GPW, but because it had snagged the trademark to the name, only Willys could call theirs the Jeep. Willys ended up going through a number of name changes and instances of being bought up by a company that got bought up by another company, and so on. American Motors bought up what remained of Willys, at some point, only to end up being bought out by Chrysler, which much more recently got bought out by FIAT, which changed its name to FIAT-Chrysler, before buying up a major French automobile company, and changing its name to Stellantis. So, now Jeeps are made by Stellantis, which now owns that brand, and some of them bear the Willys brand, which is now also owned by Stellantis.

1667793720119.png

Last edited:
The Willys brand lives on, today, as a trim name on some Jeep models.

I came across some interesting trivia, not long ago. When the Army put out a specification for a general purpose wheeled vehicle, (or GPW), two companies ended up manufacturing it—Ford and Willys. When the GPW ended up being nicknamed “Jeep”, Willys jumped on the name, and trademarked it. Both Ford and Willys continued to make the GPW, but because it had snagged the trademark to the name, only Willys could call theirs the Jeep. Willys ended up going through a number of name changes and instances of being bought up by a company that got bought up by another company, and so on. American Motors bought up what remained of Willys, at some point, only to end up being bought out by Chrysler, which much more recently got bought out by FIAT, which changed its name to FIAT-Chrysler, before buying up a major French automobile company, and changing its name to Stellantis. So, now Jeeps are made by Stellantis, which now owns that brand, and some of them bear the Willys brand, which is now also owned by Stellantis.

View attachment 721953
It's dead Jim.

The wide-ass-n-slow things they stick the Willys name on not withstanding.

When I see one of those on the road I think those TV gadgets that have the old "Bell & Howell" trade name stuck on them. :laughing0301:

Forum List

Back