DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

Thanks Alice

Wal-Mart: It Came, It Conquered, Now It's Packing Up and Leaving

The Town’n Country grocery in Oriental, North Carolina, a local fixture for 44 years, closed its doors in October after a Wal-Mart store opened for business. Now, three months later -- and less than two years after Wal-Mart arrived -- the retail giant is pulling up stakes, leaving the community with no grocery store and no pharmacy.

Though mom-and-pop stores have steadily disappeared across the American landscape over the past three decades as the mega chain methodically expanded, there was at least always a Wal-Mart left behind to replace them. Now the Wal-Marts are disappearing, too.

“I was devastated when I found out. We had a pharmacy and a perfectly satisfactory grocery store. Maybe Wal-Mart sold apples for a nickel less,” said Barb Venturi, mayor pro tem for Oriental, with a population of about 900. “If you take into account what no longer having a grocery store does to property values here, it is a significant impact for us.”

More:

Maybe you can take your fry cook skills and open a new store there?
You can pay a living wage and charge less than WalMart.
Let us know how it works out.

Maybe? I'll let you know.

Thanks Alice

The Town’n Country grocery in Oriental, North Carolina, a local fixture for 44 years, closed its doors in October after a Wal-Mart store opened for business. Now, three months later -- and less than two years after Wal-Mart arrived -- the retail giant is pulling up stakes, leaving the community with no grocery store and no pharmacy.

Though mom-and-pop stores have steadily disappeared across the American landscape over the past three decades as the mega chain methodically expanded, there was at least always a Wal-Mart left behind to replace them. Now the Wal-Marts are disappearing, too.

“I was devastated when I found out. We had a pharmacy and a perfectly satisfactory grocery store. Maybe Wal-Mart sold apples for a nickel less,” said Barb Venturi, mayor pro tem for Oriental, with a population of about 900. “If you take into account what no longer having a grocery store does to property values here, it is a significant impact for us.”

More:

There you go. An opportunity to prove the community with something they need. Isn't America great?

Ha, typical greedy white Republican dude. Celebrating folks losing their jobs and communities decimated by Walmart. And you guys wonder why so many won't come out and vote for you in National Elections.

Your hate & greed routine is so old and stale at this point. Y'all make it so much easier for the Democrats to win the White House. You're gutless and heartless. And most Americans know it. Period, end of story.

Isn't this EXACTLY what most Walmart haters want to see happen, Walmart shutting down stores? I mean, pick a horse and stay on it, cause you look silly trying to ride two of them heading in different directions.

It destroyed all the small businesses that used to flourish. Now it's packing up and leaving those communities high & dry. But hey, it is Walmart. It is the epitome of the 'Evil Corporation.' So it shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
Leaving is exactly what the Walmart haters want to see happen, so why so mad about it? Now all the small businesses can come back and flourish again. Dogs and cats will start getting along, and all the children will be above average.

You're assuming they'll come back. I can't assume that. Walmart's done so much damage. I'm not sure it can be repaired. These communities could be completely flucked.
The Walmart haters are focused solely on getting rid of Walmart. They never worry about what would happen when they actually get what they want. At least, not until now, when they start to get an idea. Now, all of a sudden, Walmart is bad because they open stores and allow poor people to buy stuff, and they're bad if they leave an area. Make up your minds, haters.

Did you read the article? Walmart destroyed all the small businesses that used to floursh in these communities. So once they decide to pack up and leave, the communities are left with nothing. Just more Walmart evil. Hopefully these communites will rebuild. But it's gonna be very difficult. Walmart's destroyed so much.
They "destroyed" other businesses because they charged lower prices, which the customers obviously preferred. Where is your wrath at them? Now the big guy's gone and the other businesses can return and charge the higher prices they once did. Customers may have to pay more for everything, and drive further to get things that just are not available locally at any price, but hey, we can feel good about ourselves for slaying the evil dragon.

It destroyed all the small businesses that used to flourish. Now it's packing up and leaving those communities high & dry. But hey, it is Walmart. It is the epitome of the 'Evil Corporation.' So it shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
Leaving is exactly what the Walmart haters want to see happen, so why so mad about it? Now all the small businesses can come back and flourish again. Dogs and cats will start getting along, and all the children will be above average.

You're assuming they'll come back. I can't assume that. Walmart's done so much damage. I'm not sure it can be repaired. These communities could be completely flucked.
The Walmart haters are focused solely on getting rid of Walmart. They never worry about what would happen when they actually get what they want. At least, not until now, when they start to get an idea. Now, all of a sudden, Walmart is bad because they open stores and allow poor people to buy stuff, and they're bad if they leave an area. Make up your minds, haters.

Did you read the article? Walmart destroyed all the small businesses that used to floursh in these communities. So once they decide to pack up and leave, the communities are left with nothing. Just more Walmart evil. Hopefully these communites will rebuild. But it's gonna be very difficult. Walmart's destroyed so much.
They "destroyed" other businesses because they charged lower prices, which the customers obviously preferred. Where is your wrath at them? Now the big guy's gone and the other businesses can return and charge the higher prices they once did. Customers may have to pay more for everything, and drive further to get things that just are not available locally at any price, but hey, we can feel good about ourselves for slaying the evil dragon.

Again, you're assuming small businesses will return. I'm not gonna assume that. The awful damage is done. These communities are likely flucked.

Thanks Alice

More:

There you go. An opportunity to prove the community with something they need. Isn't America great?

Ha, typical greedy white Republican dude. Celebrating folks losing their jobs and communities decimated by Walmart. And you guys wonder why so many won't come out and vote for you in National Elections.

Your hate & greed routine is so old and stale at this point. Y'all make it so much easier for the Democrats to win the White House. You're gutless and heartless. And most Americans know it. Period, end of story.
So we're cheering for Walmart to come back now? Please be sure to let us know when that changes, again.

Thanks Alice

More:

So we're cheering for Walmart to come back now? Please be sure to let us know when that changes, again.

Don't cheer for Walmart period. These communtities would have been better off taking that advice in the first place. Now what do they have?... No small businesses or Walmart.

Again, you're assuming small businesses will return. I'm not gonna assume that. The awful damage is done. These communities are likely flucked.
If there is a need, someone will provide it. Now, if you have a town of less than a few 100 people, there may be no way to recover, but if you have a population of more than several thousand, someone will start supplying and making money by doing so.

Thanks Alice

More:

Don't cheer for Walmart period. These communtities would have been better off taking that advice in the first place. Now what do they have?
Sounds like you want it both ways. Boo them coming in, then boo them leaving. Why don't you just admit that it's a good thing for Walmart to be in communities like that? Ultimately, the customer controls things by choosing what prices he is willing to pay.

Thanks Alice

More:

Don't cheer for Walmart period. These communtities would have been better off taking that advice in the first place. Now what do they have?... No small businesses or Walmart.

What someone has is an opportunity to fill a gap.

I think I can speak on another reason that these communities dont have the luxury of near by shopping. Having lived in the area for the vast majority of my life, it is clear why Wal-Mart would take issue with a higher pay scale and why smaller business men would not want to set up shop.
Crime,
The areas in question are crime ridden hell holes, a store like Wal-Mart would have much higher than average ratio of shoplifting than other areas, when you add a foolishly high minimum wage to that it becomes non profitable to establish business there. Same goes for the smaller entrepreneur, why would he/she jump through the massive red tape, the high taxes and the fact that their customers do not have anywhere to park just to provide a service to an area that is going to end up in high theft. Why wouldnt that person go into Virginia, or Maryland and spend his/her time, energy and money building their business in a location that will generate a return for them.
In the case of DC, those doing the most complaining are the ones most likely responsible for their communities not having services to start with.

I think I can speak on another reason that these communities dont have the luxury of near by shopping. Having lived in the area for the vast majority of my life, it is clear why Wal-Mart would take issue with a higher pay scale and why smaller business men would not want to set up shop.
Crime,
The areas in question are crime ridden hell holes, a store like Wal-Mart would have much higher than average ratio of shoplifting than other areas, when you add a foolishly high minimum wage to that it becomes non profitable to establish business there. Same goes for the smaller entrepreneur, why would he/she jump through the massive red tape, the high taxes and the fact that their customers do not have anywhere to park just to provide a service to an area that is going to end up in high theft. Why wouldnt that person go into Virginia, or Maryland and spend his/her time, energy and money building their business in a location that will generate a return for them.
In the case of DC, those doing the most complaining are the ones most likely responsible for their communities not having services to start with.
Walmart, like every other company, is in business to make money. That's the bottom line, and no company stays in business for long if they spend more than they make. That's the economic reality that far too many seem perfectly willing to ignore. You simply cannot increase costs significantly and expect nothing to change. There will always be a change.

Thanks Alice

More:

Isn't this EXACTLY what most Walmart haters want to see happen, Walmart shutting down stores? I mean, pick a horse and stay on it, cause you look silly trying to ride two of them heading in different directions.

Walmart comes in and another Grocery Chain shuts it doors. Walmart builds a free standing building. The problem is that the other chain was an anchor store. Without it, the other smaller stores (mostly locally owned) are going under. I wonder just how much money did the various councils cost to allow that.

You say that..... But can you prove it? I don't even understand the concept.

If I have a.... restaurant. You are telling me, that if the Buddies Grocery store closes, because Walmart moved in, employing 300 people that now have paying jobs.... the because Buddies Grocery closed, no one will come to my restaurant to eat anymore?

Or movie theater, or hair cutters, or auto detailer, or or or or or......?

Why would any of those others close because Buddies Grocery closed? A Walmart opened that created 300 jobs, and a mom&pop store closed that destroyed 3 jobs...... Wouldn't MORE people working, cause more to have money to buy stuff from my store?

Do you not see how absolutely illogical that claim is?

The only example I know of where Walmart moved in, and the entire town closed down, had nothing to do with Walmart. They built near a military base. When they built there, the other small grocery stores closed, because Walmart had better prices.

But then the military base closed. The entire town closed down. It would have all folded up, with or without Walmart, when the base closed.

Just for fun, let's look at a Safeway Store that shut down in a very rich community of Redlands, Co. It was the anchor store. Businesses have on a percentage of the business that they once had before the closure. And it keeps going down. Your Prove it is just silly. It's happening all over the US right now. And it's not just Walmart. It's JC Penny, City Market, Safeway, A&P, Sears, K-mart. How about less than 1 mile down the road from where I sit. City Market moved locations because Walmart built within 1/2 mile of it. Walmart has a free standing Super Center. City Market was a great Anchor Store. Now, half the small shops are gone. Most went out of business.

Just because the Walton Kids are devout republicans, they CAN and DO wrong just like every other business has the capability of doing. And killing off of any anchor store hurts the entire community.

Again... if you live in a small town... Jobs in that town, are a million times more important than having an "anchor store". Do you want a Safe Way, which hires at most, 40 to 50 people? Or Walmart which provides 300 jobs?

I've heard this "anchor store" garbage before. If you look up real "anchor stores", they are talking about

Anchor store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Younkers, Macy's, Kohl's, Bergner's, Dillard's, Carson's, Sears, Herberger's, JCPenney, Elder-Beerman, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shops, Nordstrom, Boston Store, Belk, Lord & Taylor, Von Maur, Bloomingdale's, Bon-Ton, Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue.

You don't even see Safe Way on the list, because Safe Way isn't an "Anchor Store". They are generally large department stores. Not your "small shops". And large department stores do not compete with Walmart.

Besides that, the small towns usually don't have anchor stores to begin with. Safe Way is the 11th largest grocier retailer in the country. They are massive.

As for City Market moving.... crap stores move all the time. With, or without Walmart. Welcome to life, the only constant, is change. I remember when the local computer store moved, when I was 15 year old, back at my parents house. If only I had known I could blame walmart for it... even though there was no walmart in my home town.

Lastly....
You keep talking about the Waltons as if I care. I don't give crap about the Waltons. If anything, when people do better, I think that's good. Because I'm not an envious greedy person.

You personally, likely have hundreds of thousands of dollars more than I do. I never occurred to me, to hate you for it. Nor do I stupidly assume that if you did worse in your life, that somehow magically I'd do better. If the Walton's were wiped out tomorrow, none of us would be doing better. At least 2.2 million of us, would be worse off. Thus far, I've been in several companies that closed, and quite frankly not one time has the company closing, resulted in me being better off without a job.

Contrary to the leftist claims, those socialist programs have never helpped me. Apparently they are only there for people who REFUSE to work. Not for someone who worked his whole life.

The only people who spend their life caring how much money the Waltons have, are greedy envious people. Dude... stop it. You are only hurting you. You can b!tch and moan about the Walton's until the day you die, and the only person who is harmed, is you. Because everyone knows you are a b!tchy moaning person who is greedy and envious of others. Cut it out dude. You only hurt yourself. Trust me, not a single Walton, anywhere, gives a crap that you think badly of them. Neither do most of the rest of society. In fact, only a tiny fraction of those on this forum, give a crap that you hate the Walton.

Forum List

Back