Is it racist?

• Yes

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Dennis the Menace is actually a fair example, tho not as globally known as Curious George.. So, you're going to crucify someone and accuse them of intentional recial slurs simply because they picked one character over another during a random conversation?

As I said.. Quit looking for ways to be pissed off, and ways for Obama to be victimized. He's no more a victim of anything than you are.

I call bullshit. Only the most ignorant of people would not realize the connection between Curious George and a black man. And even IF totally innocent only a MORON would say it.

I call bullshit. Only the most ignorant of people would not realize the connection between Curious George and a black man. And even IF totally innocent only a MORON would say it.

It's easy to SEE the connection - that doesn't mean it's automatically racist just because you declare it so. She asked.. He said he wasn't being racist, that should have been the end of it.. But no.. It got dragged here, and now you guys are using it as an excuse to start yet another argument over petty bullshit because you have nothing better to do, and NEED something to be pissed off at.

Am I the only person who can see BOTH sides of this? How it has the potential to NOT be racist? Geeze.

Dennis the Menace is actually a fair example, tho not as globally known as Curious George.. So, you're going to crucify someone and accuse them of intentional recial slurs simply because they picked one character over another during a random conversation?

As I said.. Quit looking for ways to be pissed off, and ways for Obama to be victimized. He's no more a victim of anything than you are.
Dennis the Menace I think is about as well known as Curious George, for one Dennis is in the morning comics. He was on during my parents generation and made a come back in my generation along with his own movie in I think the early
90's.
And If I was going to refer to a black man in a cartoon way I sure as hell would not use a monkey.

It's easy to SEE the connection - that doesn't mean it's automatically racist just because you declare it so. She asked.. He said he wasn't being racist, that should have been the end of it.. But no.. It got dragged here, and now you guys are using it as an excuse to start yet another argument over petty bullshit because you have nothing better to do, and NEED something to be pissed off at.

Am I the only person who can see BOTH sides of this? How it has the potential to NOT be racist? Geeze.

Apparently these days one just speculates and it is immediatley the truth and if you can't see it you're an idiot. Shallow

If being pissed off makes you all feel better about yourselves, go for it. :)

Is the term "Curious George" going to change who each of you votes for this year? I doubt it. So what the hell does it really matter to you in the end, other than like I said, an excuse to bitch about something?

If being pissed off makes you all feel better about yourselves, go for it. :)

Is the term "Curious George" going to change who each of you votes for this year? I doubt it. So what the hell does it really matter to you in the end, other than like I said, an excuse to bitch about something?

When Ravi starts a poll to see if people agree with her or not you KNOW it's going to be trouble.

Curious George - George is a monkey (actually a chimpanzee) living in Africa with his friends, until he follows Ted to what is apparently New York City. George is constantly curious, quite innocent of the consequences of his investigations, and compassionate. He is very clever and has an impressive proficiency in visual art, as well as a strong sense of natural beauty.

Gee. I can see where everyone would find a comparison to Curious George racist. :eusa_hand:

I'm not quite sure how one could legitimately claim that there is any sort of real comparison between Curious George and Barack Obama. Obama is not overly "curious" in his dealings...and while Curious George always does end up "getting into things" and "starting trouble," these are not claims that are commonly associated with Barack Obama. In order to make the connection, one has to really try...hence why I don't think its realistic that he did not mean it as a racist comment. On the other hand, if someone brought a Mr. Magoo doll to a McCain rally...the connection would be obvious - he or she would be mocking McCain's age and perhaps calling him doddering...

That being said, who gives a fuck? We all know that many racists are not going to vote for Obama because he is black. We all know that many racists ARE going to vote for Obama because he is black.

There are assholes supporting both candidates - to point to them as some how representative of the "quintessential McCain and/or Obama supporter" is unfair and disingenuous, and this is sometimes where I see people taking this sort of argument. Look at the idiot at the McCain rally - you guys are sad. Why, because there were a few assholes in the crowd? Do we really have to go tit for tat and put up all the idiots we can find at anti-war or anti-Bush or Obama speeches? Its useless discourse that really has no deeper meaning other than making one side feel better about themselves while mocking the other side...I'm tired of it.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how one could legitimately claim that there is any sort of real comparison between Curious George and Barack Obama. Obama is not overly "curious" in his dealings...and while Curious George always does end up "getting into things" and "starting trouble," these are not claims that are commonly associated with Barack Obama. In order to make the connection, one has to really try...hence why I don't think its realistic that he did not mean it as a racist comment.

That being said, who gives a fuck? We all know that many racists are not going to vote for Obama because he is black. We all know that many racists ARE going to vote for Obama because he is black.

There are assholes supporting both candidates - to point to them as some how representative of the "quintessential McCain and/or Obama supporter" is unfair and disingenuous.

No, but being inexperienced, and unaware of consequences ARE things that are commonly associated with him, which is a pretty childlike quality.

Maybe I'm just not so quick to jump on the racist bandwagon as you all are... *shrug*

I think RGS is correct on this, btw.

:cool:

Of course you do. You think anyone that agrees with you is correct - same as everyone else here.

While you're all slapping each other on the back for your perceived grasp of the obvious, at least I admitted there was another comparison he could have made, when someone else brought it up. You're all simply insistent that it HAS to be racist, simply because Obama IS black.

Shattered Wrote:
Maybe I'm just not so quick to jump on the racist bandwagon as you all are... *shrug*

Aw, isn't that nice for you - youre so much more open-minded than the rest of us, lol.

In reality, it isn't jumping on a racist bandwagon to see that there really isn't a logical reason for a person to compare a monkey doll with Barack Obama unless that person is trying to make a racial statement...its just a logical conclusion after considering what other statements he could be making.

If I brought a Mr. Magoo doll with a McCain sticker on it to an Obama rally and claim that I wasn't making a statement about McCain's age or mental capacity...but rather that I was implying that even though McCain is older, things always seem to work out for him in the end...but it would be a weak argument...and everyone would know it.

But go ahead and accuse people of jumping on the racist bandwagon for simply disagreeing with you...it certainly makes your point look much much stronger. :razz:

Shattered Wrote:

Aw, isn't that nice for you - youre so much more open-minded than the rest of us, lol.

In reality, it isn't jumping on a racist bandwagon to see that there really isn't a logical reason for a person to compare a monkey doll with Barack Obama unless that person is trying to make a racial statement...its just a logical conclusion after considering what other statements he could be making.

If I brought a Mr. Magoo doll with a McCain sticker on it to an Obama rally and claim that I wasn't making a statement about McCain's age or mental capacity...but rather that I was implying that even though McCain is older, things always seem to work out for him in the end...but it would be a weak argument...and everyone would know it.

But go ahead and accuse people of jumping on the racist bandwagon for simply disagreeing with you...it certainly makes your point look much much stronger. :razz:

Huh. I happened to love Mr. Magoo back when I was a kid.

You've already made the claim that there can't possibly, in a million years, be any other reason for saying it.. Sounds like a bandwagon to me..

Shattered Wrote:
You've already made the claim that there can't possibly, in a million years, be any other reason for saying it.. Sounds like a bandwagon to me..

Actually, no, that isn't what I have said. I have stated that the other reasons are not logical. Is it possible that this man is just the most clueless person alive and had no idea that comparing a monkey to an African-American man might be perceived as racial...OR the man knew full well that it would and did it for just that reason.

One of these explanations makes sense. One of them does not. You can cling to the explanation that doesn't for whatever reason you like. I'll even go so far as to say its possible that you're right. Its just not probable - and accusing people of jumping on racial bandwagons for choosing the most probable explanation of an event doesn't make it any more likely.

Well, duh. RGS just happened to make a logical argument where you and dillweed did not.

Because we disagreed with you. Had I jumped in and said "Oh definitely racist!" it would just be Dillo who didn't make a "logical" argument...

Forum List

Back