Criminalizing Homelessness Can Now Cost Cities Federal Money

It's pretty difficult not to be able to afford health insurance considering the subsidies for lower income earners.
If you can't you can go to jail.

Please give us a few examples of those who have gone to jail so far. When you show me even one, I'll start listening.

Stupid. Yeah, we know all the names of the poor & homeless in our country. And where do you think they go when the Gestapo picks em up? Think for God's sake.

What are you babbling about? Nobody is going to jail because they didn't buy health insurance.

If I refuse to buy health care, the government will fine me $97. Correct?

If I refuse to pay the fine, the government could send me to jail. Correct?

Granted, the chances of that happening are low, because they'll first confiscate bank accounts and property. If I try and hide those assets, then I go to prison.
Show me anyone who has gone to jail because of health care being required.

What gets me is liberals say that criminalizing homelessness isn't right. But if you can't afford health insurance you could end up in jail. The liberal war on working people.

It's pretty difficult not to be able to afford health insurance considering the subsidies for lower income earners.

Please give us a few examples of those who have gone to jail so far. When you show me even one, I'll start listening.

Stupid. Yeah, we know all the names of the poor & homeless in our country. And where do you think they go when the Gestapo picks em up? Think for God's sake.

What are you babbling about? Nobody is going to jail because they didn't buy health insurance.
Since you are so confident, when they do you will pay the fine and get them out of jail. Right?

Granted, the chances of that happening are low, because they'll first confiscate bank accounts and property. If I try and hide those assets, then I go to prison.
It is coming, do you really think the IRS will just let it go? Just think getting a criminal record because you can't afford health insurance. Thanks Obama and his supporters.

Good!
Criminalizing Homelessness Can Now Cost Cities Federal Money
After arguing last month that local ordinances criminalizing people for being homeless are unconstitutional, the Obama administration will now tie federal funding to whether municipalities are cracking down on criminalization measures.

Every year, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) gives out $1.9 billion in grants to local Continuums of Care, public-private partnerships that tackle homelessness in a specific area. These grants are doled out in a competitive process whereby applicants must fill out a lengthy questionnaire about how they plan to use the money, as well as their current policies.

Last week, though, HUD announced that it would begin asking applicants to describe the steps they are taking to reduce the criminalization of homelessness. Ordinances that criminalize homelessness, also known as “anti-vagrancy” or “quality of life” laws, include making it illegal to sit down on a sidewalk, ask passersby for spare change, or sleep in a public place. Applicants for the federal money will have to show they are engaging with local policymakers or law enforcement about criminalization policies, as well as implementing new community plans to ensure homelessness is not criminalized. Failing to combat such ordinances will hurt a Continuum of Care’s chances of winning new funds.

The change comes after the administration filed a brief in federal court arguing that criminalization violates the Eighth Amendment’s protections against cruel and unusual punishment.

Maria Foscarinis, Executive Director of the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty, hailed the latest move. “We welcome the federal government’s direction of tax limited dollars to the places that will most effectively use that money to address homelessness,” Foscarinis said in a statement. She also noted that HUD is giving sufficient weight to criminalization policies that the question “in many cases could be the difference between receiving funding and not.”

The Obama administration has made a pattern of connecting federal funding to desired outcomes in localities. Its signature education achievement, Race to the Top, encouraged schools across the country to raise their standards by making it a prerequisite to receive more federal funding. Obamacare ties some hospital funding to how effectively they avoid preventable infections and patient re-admissions. Homeless advocates hope that connecting HUD funding to the fight against homeless criminalization will have a similar impact.

So Obama wants people to be homeless................Great plan, for an idiot that is.

What gets me is liberals say that criminalizing homelessness isn't right. But if you can't afford health insurance you could end up in jail. The liberal war on working people.

If they don't pay Obama's fine, their wages will be garnished or they'll be incarcerated. His IRS Henchmen are not nice people. Another miserable aspect of his healthcare debacle.

If they don't pay Obama's fine, their wages will be garnished or they'll be incarcerated. His IRS Henchmen are not nice people. Another miserable aspect of his healthcare debacle.
Yep and the liberal war on poor people goes on.

It is coming, do you really think the IRS will just let it go? Just think getting a criminal record because you can't afford health insurance. Thanks Obama and his supporters.

Yeah, i still can't believe so many supported his debacle. More of that 'Party Before Country' shite i guess. We will now be incarcerating Citizens for not having health insurance. What a mess.

No, you answer my questions first. Then I'll answer yours.

The Mandate has to go. It's an Un-American act.

I agree.

Well, nobody has gone to prison yet, and we both know that nobody is going to go to prison because they can't afford health insurance.

Since you are so confident, when they do you will pay the fine and get them out of jail. Right?

I guess we'll have to worry about that when someone actually ends up in jail. Until then, you're just blowing smoke.

You really don't know the IRS all that well. They really don't come after people unless they are truly trying to defraud the government. They really do not go after people who cannot pay, because it's like trying to get blood out of a turnip. Now, if you have money and defraud the IRS, then look out.

I have no problem with them dumping the mandate. When they do that though, they need to dump the requirement that hospitals must provide care to people who cannot pay or do not have insurance. There is absolutely no reason a for profit business should be forced into providing services to those who cannot pay.

Well, nobody has gone to prison yet, and we both know that nobody is going to go to prison because they can't afford health insurance.

What are you talking about? If you don't have health insurance, you will have your wages garnished or be incarcerated. It's the law. The Mandate has to go. It's Un-American.

I guess we'll have to worry about that when someone actually ends up in jail. Until then, you're just blowing smoke.

Pretty sure you won't worry about it at all.

You really don't know the IRS all that well. They really don't come after people unless they are truly trying to defraud the government. They really do not go after people who cannot pay, because it's like trying to get blood out of a turnip. Now, if you have money and defraud the IRS, then look out.

Wow, you really are clueless. Obama's IRS Henchmen are not nice people.

Wow, you really are clueless. Obama's IRS Henchmen are not nice people.

And before Obama it was Bush's henchmen, right? The IRS pretty much works on it's own. It's not "Obama's IRS Henchmen". You really don't get it, do you? If you can't pay your taxes, they don't come after you unless you actually have assets and a way to pay those taxes. There is no point. Secondly, there is a ten year statue of limitations on collections. If they can't get the money from you within ten years, it just magically disappears. The IRS doesn't want to waste time with people from whom they cannot collect, but they will go after those who can pay. Here's the thing; if you can pay those taxes, then you should't have the IRS after you anyway, unless of course you chose not to pay. Those are the people who go to jail, not those who see their business go belly up and are left unable to pay their taxes. So the person who can't afford to pay for health insurance is not going to jail. Some of you people just crack me up with the silly things you believe.

Forum List

Back