CPAC: Issues Straw Poll

Where do they figure the government is too large specifically? Too many consumer protections? Too many environmental protections? Too many financial protections? Too much worker safety protections?

I wonder which cops they want taken off the beat? I wonder if they fully understand the consequences?

Too many consumer protections? Yes, there are. Do you really need a sticker on every liquor bottle telling you that pregnant women shouldn't drink liquor? Did you know liquor companies hire people specifically to examine every bottle to make sure the sticker is there because it is a $5000 fine if it isn't.
Too many environmental regs? Why yes there are. Remember the move to classify as "wetlands" every drainage ditch in the country?
Too many financial protections? Ever hear of Sarbanes Oxley, which has made going public too onerous for many small companies and driven IPOs abroad?
Worker safety? Yes there are too many instances of meddling.

But what about the Dept of Education? Dept of Agriculture? Really want to continue farm subsidies that mostly go to wealthy people who have never held a hoe in their hands? National Endowment for the Arts, picking and choosing what art we should see?
Really, there is no shortage of things to cut.
Oh, and cops are a local matter, not Federal, in case you missed that one.
The cops you want off the beat will ensure more workplace accidents and fatalities, more unchecked pollution of our air, water and soil. The cops you want off the beat will make it safe for companies to produce shoddy, unsafe and even toxic consumer goods.

You want to take regulators out of the SEC. Look what happened after Phil "bunch of whiners" Gramm (R) Texas gutted Glass Steagal! The shock waves after our derivatives market crashed echoed around the globe!

You want to eliminate the Department of Agriculture? Fine! Soil erosion, unstable market prices and food shortages are the crops you will reap.

You want people to be exposed to less art? Why? So we can develop the next generation of mouth breathing hillbillies?

Sure! Smaller government! Take the regulators off the case! Just remember to dig a root cellar, build a device to purify urine into drinking water, put your cash under the mattress and brace yourself for the inevitable correction of yet another Conservative experiment in the degradation of America.

Yeah, right. If we cut one bureaucrat the whole country will go to hell in a handbasket.:cuckoo:

Too many consumer protections? Yes, there are. Do you really need a sticker on every liquor bottle telling you that pregnant women shouldn't drink liquor? Did you know liquor companies hire people specifically to examine every bottle to make sure the sticker is there because it is a $5000 fine if it isn't.
Too many environmental regs? Why yes there are. Remember the move to classify as "wetlands" every drainage ditch in the country?
Too many financial protections? Ever hear of Sarbanes Oxley, which has made going public too onerous for many small companies and driven IPOs abroad?

But what about the Dept of Education? Dept of Agriculture? Really want to continue farm subsidies that mostly go to wealthy people who have never held a hoe in their hands? National Endowment for the Arts, picking and choosing what art we should see?
The cops you want off the beat will ensure more workplace accidents and fatalities, more unchecked pollution of our air, water and soil. The cops you want off the beat will make it safe for companies to produce shoddy, unsafe and even toxic consumer goods.

You want to take regulators out of the SEC. Look what happened after Phil "bunch of whiners" Gramm (R) Texas gutted Glass Steagal! The shock waves after our derivatives market crashed echoed around the globe!

You want to eliminate the Department of Agriculture? Fine! Soil erosion, unstable market prices and food shortages are the crops you will reap.

You want people to be exposed to less art? Why? So we can develop the next generation of mouth breathing hillbillies?

Sure! Smaller government! Take the regulators off the case! Just remember to dig a root cellar, build a device to purify urine into drinking water, put your cash under the mattress and brace yourself for the inevitable correction of yet another Conservative experiment in the degradation of America.

Yeah, right. If we cut one bureaucrat the whole country will go to hell in a handbasket.:cuckoo:
Could we use the obverse of your disdainful retort and say: Yeah, right. If we add one bureaucrat the whole country will go to hell in a hand basket.:cuckoo:?

You aren't talking about cutting one bureaucrat, are you? You're talking about cutting the EPA, the CPSC, the Department of Agriculture, the National Endowment for the Arts, The Department of Education, OSHA and who know what else.

Try again.

Congrats Dr. Paul! The fact Dr. Paul won the CPAC Straw Poll really does say a lot about what direction most people want the Republican Party to take. Lets hope the GOP starts listening to the man more. Make 2010 count people!

Not hearing much about this. Ok, abortion comes in #5, but gay marriage? Seems taxes and deficit are key issues. Wonder about those independents?

sxjixg.jpg

When Ron Paul won the straw poll, he got boo'd. They want SAAAAAAAARAH!!!!

Congrats Dr. Paul! The fact Dr. Paul won the CPAC Straw Poll really does say a lot about what direction most people want the Republican Party to take. Lets hope the GOP starts listening to the man more. Make 2010 count people!
Really? Most people? You sound like the addict Limbaugh! Today he said it's false to conclude "most people" are tired of the gridlock in Washington. The addict said "most people" are in favor of the gridlock because "most people" are opposed to the president's health care proposal.

But, at least in the addict's case, he has a mouth big enough to assume to speak for "most people"!

Gotta love that only 1% favor reducing healthcare costs

Should that really surprise you when a majority dont think it's the problem Democrats pretend it is? And they sure as heck dont think government should fix it.

What a surprise! I am stunned. Stunned i tell you!

It shows what everyone already suspected. All that talk of wanting to get healthcare "right" was just talk in an attempt to keep any healthcare reform from passing

Passing health care reform doesn't stand a chance now. The pubs/cons played it like a finely tuned stratavourios by making sure it took this long to debate so that now dems worry that all the negative publicity will affect the mid-term elections. Obama will make a last-ditch attempt in order to save it as at least a top priority item, but reform will go nowhere. And it won't until the upper echelon of society who currently enjoy cadillac plans or work for entities where they get excellent benefits also start seeing the pinch of skyrocketing costs from the private sector.

Where do they figure the government is too large specifically? Too many consumer protections? Too many environmental protections? Too many financial protections? Too much worker safety protections?

I wonder which cops they want taken off the beat? I wonder if they fully understand the consequences?

Obama wants to cut farm subsidies, which is why Chuck Grassley hates him. Warning labels on liquor bottles should have a Skull & Bones, in my opinion. Education? It has gotten so bad, we're raising the next generation of leaders of this country who can't read a fucking book, let alone understand what it says.

I'm really surprised "Doing away with" abortion came in significantly higher than restoring honesty to government and reforming social security, among other things. Then look at where the "War on Terror" scored. And yet a non-interventionist Libertarian potential candidate won the Presidential straw poll? Based on how some of these issues scored it makes no sense.

I wonder what was important to people who voted "Other"?

These numbers certainly do not reflect a Ron Paul victory.

I find it interesting they also have The War on Terrorism and Iraq as two different ones.

Something doesn't smell right about this. :lol:

I smell a bone being tossed to the tea partiers in the form of votes for Paul, but nothing about the C-PAC organization or its membership is changed. It's still a neocon hotbed. Which is about the opposite of what the Libertarian minded conservatives stand for. Should be an interesting year, who will throw whom under the bus first?

Don't you mean Neo-Neocons? True neocons weren't represented at all (the Cheney father-daughter duo excepted), with only 3% listing war on terror as a first priority.

Are you saying that Dr. Paul said that most people aren't tired of gridlock in Washington? If you are saying that,i would have to agree with Dr. Paul on that. Gridlock isn't always a bad thing. Why should someone vote for something that is wrong for the nation just to avoid Gridlock? So when it comes to this President's Health Care proposal,Gridlock is good. In the end he really is right. Most Democrats are now pushing for the "Nuclear Option" to pass it and most Republicans vehemently oppose it. They should just go back to the drawing board and i think that's what most Americans really want. The whole Gridlock and "Bi-Partisanship" thing is always played up by the MSM but in reality most on both sides need Gridlock to fight for what they believe in. It's how Government works. Real Conservatives don't want this Health Care nightmare and Gridlock is the only way to fight it. So Dr. Paul nailed it once again. The GOP really should listen to the man more often.

Gotta love that only 1% favor reducing healthcare costs

Should that really surprise you when a majority dont think it's the problem Democrats pretend it is? And they sure as heck dont think government should fix it.

What a surprise! I am stunned. Stunned i tell you!

More than 12 BILLION in profits earned from, among other things, cutting 2.7 million policy holders, during a recession.

56% increase in profits.

Medical bills the NUMBER ONE cause of bankruptcy in the country.

You're right, it just isn't the problem Democrats pretend it is.

It's worse.

Scrap this debacle and start over. I think that's where most of America stands on this Democrat debacle. Forcing it through with a Nuclear Option is not what America wants. The Democrats are just being hyper-partisan and stubborn at this point. They should just listen to the people and scrap their debacle. I guess we'll see where it all ends up though.

Scrap this debacle and start over. I think that's where most of America stands on this Democrat debacle. Forcing it through with a Nuclear Option is not what America wants. The Democrats are just being hyper-partisan and stubborn at this point. They should just listen to the people and scrap their debacle. I guess we'll see where it all ends up though.

Didn't "the people" speak in November of 2008? And wasn't that "most of America" doing the talking this time? I mean it wasn't a few Supreme Court justices doing the electing but really "most of America". Wasn't it "hyper-partisan and stubborn" Republicans who have refused to listen to the results of that election?

Just asking.

The Democrats should just scrap their debacle. Most of America has already spoken on this. Ramming it through with the Nuclear Option is not what America wants. Time for the Dems to stop being hyper-partisan and stubborn. Just get back to the drawing board.

The Democrats should just scrap their debacle. Most of America has already spoken on this. Ramming it through with the Nuclear Option is not what America wants. Time for the Dems to stop being hyper-partisan and stubborn. Just get back to the drawing board.

Which one of the ummm, errr, NONE of the Republican proposals should the hyper-partisan and stubborn Democrats adopt?

And it must be heady stuff, speaking for "most of America" while a few hundred CPACers revel in Washington. How can you bear it?

The Republicans have offered many ideas. They have been locked out of meetings and told to shut up though. They really do have some good ideas but this current Democrat debacle will have to be scrapped first to achieve some common sense success on Health Care. The Nuclear Option is not the answer. America doesn't want that.

The Republicans have offered many ideas. They have been locked out of meetings and told to shut up though. They really do have some good ideas but this current Democrat debacle will have to be scrapped first to achieve some common sense success on Health Care. The Nuclear Option is not the answer. America doesn't want that.
I saw the pamphlet Boehner loves to hold up as an alternative to real health care reform. It was as thick as the Big Book of Jewish Sports Legends.

Forum List

Back