Court to hear case of teen strip-searched for ibuprofen

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
Court to hear case of teen strip-searched for ibuprofen - CNN.com

A 13-year-old Arizona girl who was strip-searched by school officials looking for ibuprofen pain reliever will have her case heard at the Supreme Court.

The U.S. Supreme Court will decide whether school officials were right to strip-search a student over ibuprofen.

The justices accepted the case Friday for review. They will decide whether a campus setting gives school administrators greater discretion to control students suspected of illegal activity than police are allowed in cases involving adults in public spaces.

Arguments are expected to be heard in April.

At issue is whether school administrators are constitutionally barred from conducting searches of students investigated for possessing or dealing drugs that are banned on campus.

A federal appeals court found the search "traumatizing" and illegal.
Some parents say older children deserve the same constitutional rights as adults, but educators counter that a school setting always has been treated differently by the courts. They say a ruling against them could jeopardize campus safety.

(Continued at source...)

You know, for all our screeching and wailing about the sexual violations that youth face, I'm quite baffled by the failure of our resident safety gurus to report on such an egregious violation...could it be that they're more concerned about puffs of smoke than the Constitution?

For the record, New Jersey v. T.L.O. did establish that school officials only needed "reasonable suspicion" to search students while police may only temporarily detain public citizens with reasonable suspicion, and must fulfill a criterion of "probable cause" to arrest and search them.

Regardless, after the dismal failure of Morse v. Frederick, I do hope that students' 4th Amendment rights will be affirmed by the Supreme Court. The only exception to this would be Clarence Thomas, who opposes student rights altogether, and believes that Tinker v. Des Moines should be overturned. So we shall see.

My mind is boggling. Schools are allowed to do that??????
Hopefully not. But thanks to the right wing nut jobs in the country, ibuprofen is as illegal in most schools as heroin.

And what's really funny is that drug use in just as common at my kids high school as it was when I was in high school...even with rent-a-cops thicker than flies on campus.

I'd like to see these idiotic adults kicked in the junk.

Ibuprofen? Illegal? I don't want to derail the thread but, that's interesting.

And I'm still stunned a school administration can think it can search, let alone strip search, a student.

Hopefully not. But thanks to the right wing nut jobs in the country, ibuprofen is as illegal in most schools as heroin.

And what's really funny is that drug use in just as common at my kids high school as it was when I was in high school...even with rent-a-cops thicker than flies on campus.

As I certainly disagree with the strip search of a teen.

your comment about why that particular medication would be illegal in a school is dead wrong and your nothing but a bias political hack.

Ibuprofen? Illegal? I don't want to derail the thread but, that's interesting.

And I'm still stunned a school administration can think it can search, let alone strip search, a student.

It's part of the zero tolerance policy that many school boards have passed. On the surface, it looks reasonable. After all, the school doesn't want kids doing drugs on campus, or anywhere else. The result is that any drug, including innocuous ones like Ibuprofen, become outlawed, and can lead to outrageous actions like the one that started this thread.

If the school's actions are upheld in court, then the zero tolerance policy seriously needs to be re thought. Come to think of it, it needs to be rethought anyway, along with the whole "war on drugs".

School officials can, in fact, search where police cannot, at least in California. What that usually means is searching lockers and backpacks, not strip searches. This one is really over the top.

It's part of the zero tolerance policy that many school boards have passed. On the surface, it looks reasonable. After all, the school doesn't want kids doing drugs on campus, or anywhere else. The result is that any drug, including innocuous ones like Ibuprofen, become outlawed, and can lead to outrageous actions like the one that started this thread.

If the school's actions are upheld in court, then the zero tolerance policy seriously needs to be re thought. Come to think of it, it needs to be rethought anyway, along with the whole "war on drugs".

School officials can, in fact, search where police cannot, at least in California. What that usually means is searching lockers and backpacks, not strip searches. This one is really over the top.

Thanks for that information, I understand what's happening now. I disagree with it (and who cares if I do? :lol:) but I can see what's happening.

A zero-tolerance policy is a policy of not having a tolerance for transgressions: any infraction of existing laws and regulations, regardless of mistakes, ignorance, or even extenuating circumstances, will be met with full punishment. The term may be used in general or with reference to a particular category of transgressions, e.g. a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol use.

It is typically enacted by an organization (usually a school) against a particular action, or possession of something on organization-controlled property. Many schools have a zero-tolerance policy concerning drugs or weapons.
-------------------------
Now you're not really stupid enough to try and tell us that teachers, (90% Liberal Democrats) and school administrators (100% Liberal Democrats), are not responsible for these nutty zero tolerance rules are you?
You're gonna have us believe that Conservatives, (practically non-existent in the public school system) are really responsible...

Sonny,,,,get a clue

A zero-tolerance policy is a policy of not having a tolerance for transgressions: any infraction of existing laws and regulations, regardless of mistakes, ignorance, or even extenuating circumstances, will be met with full punishment. The term may be used in general or with reference to a particular category of transgressions, e.g. a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol use.

It is typically enacted by an organization (usually a school) against a particular action, or possession of something on organization-controlled property. Many schools have a zero-tolerance policy concerning drugs or weapons.
-------------------------
Now you're not really stupid enough to try and tell us that teachers, (90% Liberal Democrats) and school administrators (100% Liberal Democrats), are not responsible for these nutty zero tolerance rules are you?
You're gonna have us believe that Conservatives, (practically non-existent in the public school system) are really responsible...

Sonny,,,,get a clue

Yup. My daughter was never allowed to bring in some ibuprofen in her purse in case she needed it. They want the kids to go to the nurse and the younger kids, you have to sign forms in the begining of the school year saying what they can and can't have. I always ignored the no ibuo rule once they hit high school . I mean, really. I told her to keep it out of sight and take it when no one was looking. Same with if she was on antibiotics.

My son (special needs) will sneak stuff into school once in awhile. Toys. He once bought in a plastic 'bulllet' (it looked like a pez dispenser w/out a head). The school knows him and knows he's special needs, but they still wanted me to come down to get the 'bullet'. They wanted to waste my time going down there to get a stupid toy? I told them to put the 'bullet' in an envelope and stick it in my son's schoolbag when he wasn't looking. Sometimes the simplest solutions . . . .

They don't want my youngest (6th) grade to bring in a plastic fork from home if I send in canned fruit. They say it's a weapon. If that's a weapon, then aren't all the forks in the cafeteria weapons?

I don't know, it seems like overkill on some issues to me. Zero tolerance needs to be combined with common sense.

As for the strip search of this teen? If I were her parent I'd be all over that school like white on rice.

Last edited:

Ya cause the right wingers control all the school districts and all the campuses all around the country. Sorry to burst your bubble but zero tolerance is not a right wing idea, it is a left wing policy designed so the idiots in charge do not have to make any choices that require thought and intelligence.

Ya cause the right wingers control all the school districts and all the campuses all around the country. Sorry to burst your bubble but zero tolerance is not a right wing idea, it is a left wing policy designed so the idiots in charge do not have to make any choices that require thought and intelligence.

How does that make it right wing, left wing, or any other wing? It looks to me like an ill advised policy designed, as you said, to not require any choices to be made.

How does that make it right wing, left wing, or any other wing? It looks to me like an ill advised policy designed, as you said, to not require any choices to be made.
because its to eliminate the responsibility to actually THINK about the situation

I hope the student wins. Schools have too much authority over students as it is.

And of course, the unintended consequences are the right wingers fault.

because its to eliminate the responsibility to actually THINK about the situation

So therefore it's left wing?

I find it unsurprising that this thread has turned more into a debate about which side's fault it is then what should be done.

Then again, those same "right wingers" who are blasting such a thing could be done to a student are protecting things like the Patriot Act. Which is similar to this but on a much larger scale.

Just doesn't add up anymore.

Last edited:
I hope the student wins. Schools have too much authority over students as it is.

Schools need authority over students, BUT not the right to strip search. That is not something any school should be able to do and especially for damn aspirin. This family should sue for this.

So therefore it's left wing?

I find it unsurprising that this thread has turned more into a debate about which side's fault it is then what should be done.

Then again, those same "right wingers" who are blasting such a thing could be done to a student are protecting things like the Patriot Act. Which is similar to this but on a much larger scale.

Just doesn't add up anymore.

I keep asking for some list of rights we lost with the patriot Act. You gonna provide one? And last I checked the Dems voted for it every time.

Forum List

Back