Court to hear case of teen strip-searched for ibuprofen

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Agnapostate, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Court to hear case of teen strip-searched for ibuprofen - CNN.com

You know, for all our screeching and wailing about the sexual violations that youth face, I'm quite baffled by the failure of our resident safety gurus to report on such an egregious violation...could it be that they're more concerned about puffs of smoke than the Constitution?

For the record, New Jersey v. T.L.O. did establish that school officials only needed "reasonable suspicion" to search students while police may only temporarily detain public citizens with reasonable suspicion, and must fulfill a criterion of "probable cause" to arrest and search them.

Regardless, after the dismal failure of Morse v. Frederick, I do hope that students' 4th Amendment rights will be affirmed by the Supreme Court. The only exception to this would be Clarence Thomas, who opposes student rights altogether, and believes that Tinker v. Des Moines should be overturned. So we shall see.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    My mind is boggling. Schools are allowed to do that??????

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,777
    Hopefully not. But thanks to the right wing nut jobs in the country, ibuprofen is as illegal in most schools as heroin.

And what's really funny is that drug use in just as common at my kids high school as it was when I was in high school...even with rent-a-cops thicker than flies on campus.

I'd like to see these idiotic adults kicked in the junk.

4. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Ibuprofen? Illegal? I don't want to derail the thread but, that's interesting.

And I'm still stunned a school administration can think it can search, let alone strip search, a student.

5. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

As I certainly disagree with the strip search of a teen.

your comment about why that particular medication would be illegal in a school is dead wrong and your nothing but a bias political hack.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,777
    I'm not wrong. This policy is definitely a right wing policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_tolerance_(schools)

7. Skeptik

Skeptik Astute observer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It's part of the zero tolerance policy that many school boards have passed. On the surface, it looks reasonable. After all, the school doesn't want kids doing drugs on campus, or anywhere else. The result is that any drug, including innocuous ones like Ibuprofen, become outlawed, and can lead to outrageous actions like the one that started this thread.

If the school's actions are upheld in court, then the zero tolerance policy seriously needs to be re thought. Come to think of it, it needs to be rethought anyway, along with the whole "war on drugs".

School officials can, in fact, search where police cannot, at least in California. What that usually means is searching lockers and backpacks, not strip searches. This one is really over the top.

8. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Thanks for that information, I understand what's happening now. I disagree with it (and who cares if I do? :lol:) but I can see what's happening.

9. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
  10. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    A zero-tolerance policy is a policy of not having a tolerance for transgressions: any infraction of existing laws and regulations, regardless of mistakes, ignorance, or even extenuating circumstances, will be met with full punishment. The term may be used in general or with reference to a particular category of transgressions, e.g. a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol use.

It is typically enacted by an organization (usually a school) against a particular action, or possession of something on organization-controlled property. Many schools have a zero-tolerance policy concerning drugs or weapons.
    -------------------------
    Now you're not really stupid enough to try and tell us that teachers, (90% Liberal Democrats) and school administrators (100% Liberal Democrats), are not responsible for these nutty zero tolerance rules are you?
    You're gonna have us believe that Conservatives, (practically non-existent in the public school system) are really responsible...

Sonny,,,,get a clue