Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

First they are using adult stem cells.

Second. From what I understand the frozen embryos they use are leftover from in vitro-fertilization attempts that are probably going to be destroyed.

I can thnk of a lot of things I wish the feds were not funding too. Medical research is not one of them.

What are embryonic stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

So, we should just add more spending to the federal government's budget? When to we cry "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES"? Seems to me that everyone wants to keep adding their projects but no one wants to say "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES". IMHO we have to cut spending. But tragically rather than cut spending we just keep adding to it.

I understand what they claim they are using. Whether that is the case (and some I am sure were going to be destroyed) or not is debatable. I have lost faith in people. The fact that they are justifying themselves by claiming these would have been destroyed anyway, makes me skeptical.

And even if they were to be destroyed, I object to the federal government participating in the destruction of innocent human life. If this is so valuable, let the research organizations fund the damned research.

Immie

There is no question as to whether they would otherwise be destroyed. They ARE otherwise destroyed.

That happens every day in hospitals and fertility clinics through the country thousands of times. If they are not used for an IVF implantation, the embryos are sanitized and are discarded as biological waste.

Which is the choice of the parents, not anyone else.

have to disagree with you on that... just think what the man who discovers the cure for AIDS or Cancer will receive

Like I said, that person will likely work in a university lab or research hospital - and probably a state school at that, and NOT in the private sector. Corporations aren't interested in doing anything but making profits... this is why we are in such a horrific place with our healthcare costs and private insurers (aka evil parasites).

Oh, and there are NO profits to be made from selling cures. My God, no. And after all, no medical research breakthrough has EVER been made by private industry. :cuckoo:

Shut up, ass hat.

Name me ONE thing that the government has funded that worked out?

How 'bout this series of tubes you're typing on?

Really? You believe the government owns all the infrastructure required to operate the internet? Or that they even built it all?

He believes that because they came up with the original germ of an idea that led to the Internet, that makes them solely responsible for everything the Internet has become AFTER the private sector took it over.

He's not exactly the brightest light on the midway.

How many liberals are unaware of our debt level?

Why are you happy we will be adding to the debt by funding yet another thing private industry should handle?

fyi

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$14.3 TRILLION in the hole

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on. ;)

Its okay, medicare turns down more medical proceedures than the insurance companies. When Obama care hits, it will save medicare and social security by "allowing" anyone that needs medical care that is on medicare or social security to die, via the death panels. That will reduce the entitlement spending by LOTS, and since the dems are doing it, the press will talk about how great it is to walk grandparents into "dying rooms" where they can "take a pill". Yes, with libs, that future is looking brighter every day!

We are already behind in this department. I guess you guys have no problem with Japan and China passing us by when it comes to medical research.

If it is done by unethical and immoral means, I have no problem not participating.

Question for you: do you have a problem with China out pacing us when it comes to energy production and developement?

As I understand it, many fertilized embryos are discarded/destroyed by in vitro clinics every year. They could be used for research rather than simply being thrown away (assuming the donor parents consent). If those are the embryonic stem cells used, do you still feel the same disagreement?

I can accept the fact that some people consider human life to begin at conception, but if the embryos are being destroyed anyway, I don't understand being opposed to using them for research. Fertilizing eggs only for research purposes is a different argument.

I am of the same understanding. My concern with your idea about the donor consent is that it becomes a farm and women will be paid to "donate". Sorry, but that is just plain wrong in my humble opinion.

The fact that it is an innocent human life bothers me to no end and that is why I do not believe that the government should be taking part in its destruction.

Immie

Show us where that has happened in Britain, China, and Japan?

We wouldn't be the first country to allow this kind of research, so it should be easy to prove that this is happening in the countries where they already use embryonic stem cell research.

The end does not justify the means. If we are following other countries' leads, should we ... make homosexuality punishable by death, force women to wear burkas, allow slavery, allow children to work as an adult, etc.?

Maybe we should fund something that could maybe find a cure for diseases like alzheimers, that will be a large strain on medicare now that baby boomers are developing the disease every day. ;)

Fine! Use Adult Stem Cells! ;)

Immie

Why don't we use anything that can find a cure. ;)

Because we are human. If someone suggests that you are resistant to a disease, we do not want you hauled off to a laboratory, your blood drained and you cut up because your body/blood "might" provide a cure. If you cannot remember that human research is conducted with "humans", you might be a wacko leftie.

Stem cell research is vital to unlocking cures and treatments for MANY conditions that face millions of Americans. :clap2:

I'm sure the religious zealots will be here soon enough, but I'm happy to see this decision.

Where's your evidence?

Fact is, embryonic stem cell research has proven to be nothing more than a race for cancerous tumors.

Fact ... stem cell research PERIOD hasn't proven to be anything more than Man's latest attempt to play God.

Try praying instead, you "science is my religion but a religion nonetheless and backed by as much fact s Judaism/Christianity", Herr Frankenstein.

Looks like the countries I found who allow this, have regulations against farming embryos, as you say. ;)
Next argument.

So? Do you think we will? I think there are liberals in Congress that would strive to protect such business just as they strive to protect the abortion industry.

Immie

They would probably "mine" the black community (and the very poor), the same as they have done with abortions.

I'll take corporate greed over evil power grabbers any day.

Wow, you don't see corporate greed as an evil power grabber? At least we VOTE for our representatives, well until corporations can pay for them outright instead of lobbying and stacking regulatory boards. They're getting there. I do not trust anything about corporations and no good whatsoever comes out of their greed. Sorry, but that's the truth.

We "vote" for corporations with our dollars.

Now, that is a different ball of wax in its entirety. It seemed as if you have been promoting government control.

Never once have I uttered "health care" and "government control" in the same sentance, and neither has anyone you would probably consider "left". No one listens to us in the first place, and then you've got the Republican propaganda machine going full tilt. Maybe if people would stop screaming and act like adults, we could come up with creative ideas like this. I don't see it happening, though.

I will say this, no matter what, we HAVE to take profit out of the picture if we really want to make health care/health insurance affordable for EVERYONE and more like a utility, which it in essence, has become for most.

People provide health care. They work to provide for their families, and you want to make "them" a "utility". Does that mean you will be forcing people into those fields and "fixing" wages?

I'll take corporate greed over evil power grabbers any day.

Wow, you don't see corporate greed as an evil power grabber? At least we VOTE for our representatives, well until corporations can pay for them outright instead of lobbying and stacking regulatory boards. They're getting there. I do not trust anything about corporations and no good whatsoever comes out of their greed. Sorry, but that's the truth.

We "vote" for corporations with our dollars.

True, but in the case of Health Insurance Corporations, few of us are given a choice. Our employers make that decision for us and it is not always in our best interests.

Immie

Stem cell research is vital to unlocking cures and treatments for MANY conditions that face millions of Americans. :clap2:

I'm sure the religious zealots will be here soon enough, but I'm happy to see this decision.

. While the potency and success of adult stem cell treatments are becoming evident, treatments using embryonic stem cells have not produced any clinical successes. Rather, embryonic stem cell treatments tend to create tumors in numerous animal studies. The public should ponder these issues and ask why the media do not cover such results. In a world with limited funds for research, why are we arguing about unproven and often dangerous embryonic stem cell treatments when treatments using adult stem cells are today producing real results for real patients? Adult Stem Cell Success

Rather than aspersions such as '...the religious zealots..." would you suggest that prison sentences include mandates that surgeons remove whatever organs are necessary to aid ailing individuals?
Or...only innocent embryos that should be sacrificed in this manner?
"Children of God for Life"? Sorry, I think their opinion might be somewhat one sided.

Embryo stem cells. How are they going to get them? By disecting the bodies of the unborn? Is Planned Parenthood going to sell them by the pound? It would be a lucrative sideline considering PP kills about 5,500 unborn humans per week. Thanks to democrat hardliners the taxpayers fund the killing and now they are going to fund the disection. What a world.

An embryo is not a fetus. There is no body only a blastocyst. The embryos are in fertility clinics and are not provided by abortions. It is against federal law for U.S. taxpayer dollars to be used for abortions except in certain emergency situations, like the life of the mother.

What a world indeed, where lying little shits like you have the freedom of speech that true libertarians fought and died for.

How many liberals are unaware of our debt level?

Why are you happy we will be adding to the debt by funding yet another thing private industry should handle?

fyi

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$14.3 TRILLION in the hole

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on. ;)

LOL, let me get this straight.. You argue that because America has a huge and growing deficit that it should fund MORE projects so that when a cure is found people still go bankrupt paying for their HC? You make it sound as if some miracle cure will come out that will cost the public 50 cents, only have to be used once and make you live to be 400 years old with a body and mind of a 25 year old then you die with no pain and instantly... Oh and you never get sick and you can’t break bones or gain weight even with a 10k a day calorie diet.

I’m not against stem cell research but Government shouldn’t be funding it.

Forum List

Back