Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

Stem cell research is vital to unlocking cures and treatments for MANY conditions that face millions of Americans. :clap2:

I'm sure the religious zealots will be here soon enough, but I'm happy to see this decision.

I'm not. Why not use adult stem cells? My understanding is that adult stem cells are actually better for science than embryonic. Why not work with adult stem cells rather than destroy life?

Why must our government be so dead set on destroying life? What is it that liberals find so thrilling about destroying life? I'm not talking about you, but our government.

It seems to me that embryonic stem cell research is not something our government should be funding especially when we are trillions of dollars in debt already.

Immie

its called stem cell research not fetal stem cell . what make you think they would use unwanted fertilized eggs alone ?

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on.

Corporatists don't want to find cures. There's no profit in that whatsoever... They want your symptoms "maintained" on an expensive pill that the television tells you to pester your doctor for. They do NOT care about finding cures. That is left up to research hospitals and universities.

Last edited:
While "new" embryonic stem cells are extracted from early stage human embryos – usually surplus left overs from IVF treatment – few if any are now used in research.

Instead scientists rely on proliferating cell cultures that have been maintained in laboratories for years.

At present Britain is a world leader in the use of stem cells thanks to investment from the private sector and the government.

Scientists are working on treatments for blindness, Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, strokes and spinal injuries as well as coming up with an alternative to testing new drugs on animals.
Stem cell cures under threat from EU court - Telegraph

This is from the EU, looks like some people who think they understand science but have no clue want to ban it there too. It didn't mention anything about paying women to farm eggs, but you can check again.

Potential cures for dozens of debilitating conditions are under threat from a European ruling that claims making money from embryonic stem cell research is immoral, leading scientists have warned.

The academics said that a change in EU law could "wipe out" much of the biotechnology industry and halt work on revolutionary cures for conditions that affect millions of people.

It does not state that they have found any cures or had any success whatsoever. All it says is that they are using embryonic stem cells for research and that "potential" cures are threatened. Of course, the scientists doing such "research" is going to say that taking away patent rights will interfere with their work.

Basically, it is the same argument used by so called "artist" to create "art" by putting a crucifix in a bottle of urine.

Immie

Stem cell research is vital to unlocking cures and treatments for MANY conditions that face millions of Americans. :clap2:

I'm sure the religious zealots will be here soon enough, but I'm happy to see this decision.

I'm not. Why not use adult stem cells? My understanding is that adult stem cells are actually better for science than embryonic. Why not work with adult stem cells rather than destroy life?

Why must our government be so dead set on destroying life? What is it that liberals find so thrilling about destroying life? I'm not talking about you, but our government.

It seems to me that embryonic stem cell research is not something our government should be funding especially when we are trillions of dollars in debt already.

Immie

its called stem cell research not fetal stem cell . what make you think they would use unwanted fertilized eggs alone ?

It is called embryonic and I hope I don't have to inform you that the embryo is a developmental stage of the human being prior to fetus. There are also scientists that use "adult" stem cells. Note: they distinguish between to two types for a reason.

Immie

Looks like the countries I found who allow this, have regulations against farming embryos, as you say. ;)
Next argument.

So? Do you think we will? I think there are liberals in Congress that would strive to protect such business just as they strive to protect the abortion industry.

Immie

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on.

Corporatists don't want to find cures. There's no profit in that whatsoever... They want your symptoms "maintained" on an expensive pill that the television tells you to pester your doctor for. They do NOT care about finding cures. That is left up to research hospitals and universities.

I have to disagree with you on that... just think what the man who discovers the cure for AIDS or Cancer will receive... now, whether the pharmaceutical companies will be happy or not, I suppose, depends on what profits they see in its future.

Immie

How many liberals are unaware of our debt level?

Why are you happy we will be adding to the debt by funding yet another thing private industry should handle?

fyi

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$14.3 TRILLION in the hole

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on. ;)

sorry, that simply does not counter that we are running out of tax money to spend.

What happens if we get cut off? There will be no money to fund anything.

All those dead senoirs and starving children will become a reality.

Ok great, now list something doctors can do now with this that they couldn't do before with adult cells or cultured ones.

I'm a pro-choice atheist so I don't give a damn about destroying or not destroying the cells, just saying it's legislation that's not going to really have any big affect on anything.

Zero

The injunction was issued in Aug and by Sept. Obama already won to have it lifted pending appeal.

They have been destroying embryos all this time

Immie

First they are using adult stem cells.

Second. From what I understand the frozen embryos they use are leftover from in vitro-fertilization attempts that are probably going to be destroyed.

I can thnk of a lot of things I wish the feds were not funding too. Medical research is not one of them.

What are embryonic stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

How many liberals are unaware of our debt level?

Why are you happy we will be adding to the debt by funding yet another thing private industry should handle?

fyi

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$14.3 TRILLION in the hole

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on. ;)

sorry, that simply does not counter that we are running out of tax money to spend.

And there is dead seniors every year from dementia. ;)
A disease that also cost medicare quite a bit of money, and will cost medicare even more with baby boomers developing the disease.

As for there being no cures yet, Immie. I guess we should stop every research project that hasn't found a cure yet. Give me a break, there is no cures. LOL
there is no cures yet, because Cons let there personal beliefs get in the way of science for too long.

Immie

As I understand it, many fertilized embryos are discarded/destroyed by in vitro clinics every year. They could be used for research rather than simply being thrown away (assuming the donor parents consent). If those are the embryonic stem cells used, do you still feel the same disagreement?

I can accept the fact that some people consider human life to begin at conception, but if the embryos are being destroyed anyway, I don't understand being opposed to using them for research. Fertilizing eggs only for research purposes is a different argument.

I am of the same understanding. My concern with your idea about the donor consent is that it becomes a farm and women will be paid to "donate". Sorry, but that is just plain wrong in my humble opinion.

The fact that it is an innocent human life bothers me to no end and that is why I do not believe that the government should be taking part in its destruction.

Immie

I understand those concerns, Immie. And they are valid. on the other hand, couples in IVF treatments produce numerous - sometimes more than a dozen - valid embryos and only one or two are used. The remaining few (or ten!) are simply discarded.

And that's the case for each round of IVF. Many times couples do two or three rounds.

And literally thousands of IVF procedures are done around the world every day.

That's tens of thousands of embryos every day that could be dedicated to research without need for a "farm". Embryos that will otherwise be discarded are used to better the life of a person already living. I know it's a difficult issue, but it seems a better use than throwing them away. in my humble opinion (and on this issue, my opinion is very, very humble)

As I understand it, many fertilized embryos are discarded/destroyed by in vitro clinics every year. They could be used for research rather than simply being thrown away (assuming the donor parents consent). If those are the embryonic stem cells used, do you still feel the same disagreement?

I can accept the fact that some people consider human life to begin at conception, but if the embryos are being destroyed anyway, I don't understand being opposed to using them for research. Fertilizing eggs only for research purposes is a different argument.

I am of the same understanding. My concern with your idea about the donor consent is that it becomes a farm and women will be paid to "donate". Sorry, but that is just plain wrong in my humble opinion.

The fact that it is an innocent human life bothers me to no end and that is why I do not believe that the government should be taking part in its destruction.

Immie

I understand those concerns, Immie. And they are valid. on the other hand, couples in IVF treatments produce numerous - sometimes more than a dozen - valid embryos and only one or two are used. The remaining few (or ten!) are simply discarded.

And that's the case for each round of IVF. Many times couples do two or three rounds.

And literally thousands of IVF procedures are done around the world every day.

That's tens of thousands of embryos every day that could be dedicated to research without need for a "farm". Embryos that will otherwise be discarded are used to better the life of a person already living. I know it's a difficult issue, but it seems a better use than throwing them away. in my humble opinion (and on this issue, my opinion is very, very humble)

No country that is spending a lot of time and money on this type of research has farmed embryos. Even China has regulations against it.

We are already behind in this department. I guess you guys have no problem with Japan and China passing us by when it comes to medical research.

Not in stem cell research. Maybe some day, not yet. Just because the Bush administration stopped federal funding, research continued.

Top Stem Cell Research Laboratories Revealed

"....Christian Hesketh, the CEO of Ion Channel Media Group said, "It is remarkable that the US is still the clear leader in stem cell research despite the significant restrictions placed upon stem cell research in that country. We will likely see the rankings shift as research labs from other countries with fewer restrictions begin to pull ahead."

Immie

Second. From what I understand the frozen embryos they use are leftover from in vitro-fertilization attempts that are probably going to be destroyed.

I can thnk of a lot of things I wish the feds were not funding too. Medical research is not one of them.

So, we should just add more spending to the federal government's budget? When do we cry "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES"? Seems to me that everyone wants to keep adding their projects but no one wants to say "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES". IMHO we have to cut spending. But tragically rather than cut spending we just keep adding to it.

I understand what they claim they are using. Whether that is the case (and some I am sure were going to be destroyed) or not is debatable. I have lost faith in people. The fact that they are justifying themselves by claiming these would have been destroyed anyway, makes me skeptical.

And even if they were to be destroyed, I object to the federal government participating in the destruction of innocent human life. If this is so valuable, let the research organizations fund the damned research.

Immie

Last edited:
It's a wedge issue...

The medical research community has found that adult stem cell research is more encouraging than embryonic stem cell research... This was before any bans, and throughout the world... Don't believe me? Ask one of the 94% of liberal scientists...

I know liberals who want embryonic stem cell research only because the right doesn't want it... It has nothing to do with the viability of said research...

And there is dead seniors every year from dementia. ;)
A disease that also cost medicare quite a bit of money, and will cost medicare even more with baby boomers developing the disease.

As for there being no cures yet, Immie. I guess we should stop every research project that hasn't found a cure yet. Give me a break, there is no cures. LOL
there is no cures yet, because Cons let there personal beliefs get in the way of science for too long.

Problem is there have not even been any "breakthroughs" with embryonic stem cell research.

And again, if this is so valuable, let the research institutes fund it with their own money. The federal government should not be funding the destruction of innocent human life.

Immie

Immie

So, we should just add more spending to the federal government's budget? When to we cry "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES"? Seems to me that everyone wants to keep adding their projects but no one wants to say "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES". IMHO we have to cut spending. But tragically rather than cut spending we just keep adding to it.

I understand what they claim they are using. Whether that is the case (and some I am sure were going to be destroyed) or not is debatable. I have lost faith in people. The fact that they are justifying themselves by claiming these would have been destroyed anyway, makes me skeptical.

And even if they were to be destroyed, I object to the federal government participating in the destruction of innocent human life. If this is so valuable, let the research organizations fund the damned research.

Immie

There is no question as to whether they would otherwise be destroyed. They ARE otherwise destroyed.

That happens every day in hospitals and fertility clinics through the country thousands of times. If they are not used for an IVF implantation, the embryos are sanitized and are discarded as biological waste.

We do not know for certain if any stem cell research will lead to any cures or treatments, but stem cell research does show some promising signs and we should continue the research.

We are already behind in this department. I guess you guys have no problem with Japan and China passing us by when it comes to medical research.

Not in stem cell research. Maybe some day, not yet. Just because the Bush administration stopped federal funding, research continued.

Top Stem Cell Research Laboratories Revealed

"....Christian Hesketh, the CEO of Ion Channel Media Group said, "It is remarkable that the US is still the clear leader in stem cell research despite the significant restrictions placed upon stem cell research in that country. We will likely see the rankings shift as research labs from other countries with fewer restrictions begin to pull ahead."

I read an article that says Britain leads the way in stem cell research, and China has made more progress than we have. ;)

Embryo stem cells. How are they going to get them? By disecting the bodies of the unborn? Is Planned Parenthood going to sell them by the pound? It would be a lucrative sideline considering PP kills about 5,500 unborn humans per week. Thanks to democrat hardliners the taxpayers fund the killing and now they are going to fund the disection. What a world.

Forum List

Back