Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by RDD_1210, Apr 29, 2011.

1. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I'm not. Why not use adult stem cells? My understanding is that adult stem cells are actually better for science than embryonic. Why not work with adult stem cells rather than destroy life?

Why must our government be so dead set on destroying life? What is it that liberals find so thrilling about destroying life? I'm not talking about you, but our government.

It seems to me that embryonic stem cell research is not something our government should be funding especially when we are trillions of dollars in debt already.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Why don't we use anything we can?
    This is very good news, and that is according to the people who actually know what they are talking about.

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    What are the similarities and differences between embryonic and adult stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

Why don't we use anything we can?

Adult Stem Cells do not become human... um, as long as cloning is outlawed, while Embryonic Stem Cells may be inserted into the womb and actually continue their life. Why destroy that life?

I know, you see things differently than I do. I'd rather not jump into that discussion here. You asked why? I gave you my reply. I'm willing to leave it at that in this thread if you are for RDD thread's sake.

Immie

5. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    As I understand it, many fertilized embryos are discarded/destroyed by in vitro clinics every year. They could be used for research rather than simply being thrown away (assuming the donor parents consent). If those are the embryonic stem cells used, do you still feel the same disagreement?

I can accept the fact that some people consider human life to begin at conception, but if the embryos are being destroyed anyway, I don't understand being opposed to using them for research. Fertilizing eggs only for research purposes is a different argument.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Maybe we should fund something that could maybe find a cure for diseases like alzheimers, that will be a large strain on medicare now that baby boomers are developing the disease every day. ;)

7. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,037
    . While the potency and success of adult stem cell treatments are becoming evident, treatments using embryonic stem cells have not produced any clinical successes. Rather, embryonic stem cell treatments tend to create tumors in numerous animal studies. The public should ponder these issues and ask why the media do not cover such results. In a world with limited funds for research, why are we arguing about unproven and often dangerous embryonic stem cell treatments when treatments using adult stem cells are today producing real results for real patients? Adult Stem Cell Success

Rather than aspersions such as '...the religious zealots..." would you suggest that prison sentences include mandates that surgeons remove whatever organs are necessary to aid ailing individuals?
    Or...only innocent embryos that should be sacrificed in this manner?

8. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    How many liberals are unaware of our debt level?

Why are you happy we will be adding to the debt by funding yet another thing private industry should handle?

fyi

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$14.3 TRILLION in the hole

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,488
    Long overdue

10. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on. ;)