Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

sorry, that simply does not counter that we are running out of tax money to spend.

What happens if we get cut off? There will be no money to fund anything.

All those dead senoirs and starving children will become a reality.

And there is dead seniors every year from dementia. ;)
A disease that also cost medicare quite a bit of money, and will cost medicare even more with baby boomers developing the disease.

As for there being no cures yet, Immie. I guess we should stop every research project that hasn't found a cure yet. Give me a break, there is no cures. LOL
there is no cures yet, because Cons let there personal beliefs get in the way of science for too long.

Problem is there have not even been any "breakthroughs" with embryonic stem cell research.

And again, if this is so valuable, let the research institutes fund it with their own money. The federal government should not be funding the destruction of innocent human life.

Immie

I think cloning a sheep is a break through, but that is just my opinion.

The beginnings of stem cell research in China may be traced back to 1963, 34 years before Dolly the sheep was introduced to the world, when the late embryologist Dizhou Tong transferred the DNA from a cell of a male Asian carp to an egg of a female Asian carp, and produced the world's first cloned fish (Tong et al. 1963). In previous decades, researchers had cloned micro-organisms and nematodes, as well as amphibians. But before Tong, nobody had ever managed to clone such a complex organism. To all appearances, the experiment was entirely successful. The cloned carp even sired a baby carp
Stem cell research in China

It's a wedge issue...

The medical research community has found that adult stem cell research is more encouraging than embryonic stem cell research... This was before any bans, and throughout the world... Don't believe me? Ask one of the 94% of liberal scientists...

I know liberals who want embryonic stem cell research only because the right doesn't want it... It has nothing to do with the viability of said research...

Yeah, that is why we want it.:cuckoo:

Embryo stem cells. How are they going to get them? By disecting the bodies of the unborn? Is Planned Parenthood going to sell them by the pound? It would be a lucrative sideline considering PP kills about 5,500 unborn humans per week. Thanks to democrat hardliners the taxpayers fund the killing and now they are going to fund the disection. What a world.

IVF, look it up. ;)

My cousin did IVF, in the end she had many embryos left over. ;)

It's a wedge issue...

The medical research community has found that adult stem cell research is more encouraging than embryonic stem cell research... This was before any bans, and throughout the world... Don't believe me? Ask one of the 94% of liberal scientists...

I know liberals who want embryonic stem cell research only because the right doesn't want it... It has nothing to do with the viability of said research...

Yeah, that is why we want it.:cuckoo:

Did I say you personally, dumbass??

We are already behind in this department. I guess you guys have no problem with Japan and China passing us by when it comes to medical research.

Not in stem cell research. Maybe some day, not yet. Just because the Bush administration stopped federal funding, research continued.

Top Stem Cell Research Laboratories Revealed

"....Christian Hesketh, the CEO of Ion Channel Media Group said, "It is remarkable that the US is still the clear leader in stem cell research despite the significant restrictions placed upon stem cell research in that country. We will likely see the rankings shift as research labs from other countries with fewer restrictions begin to pull ahead."

I read an article that says Britain leads the way in stem cell research, and China has made more progress than we have. ;)

Do you happen to recall if the article distinguished that lead as to all stem cell research, adult stem cell research or embryonic stem cell research?

Do we have to lead the way in government destruction of innocent human life? Can't we lead the way in something a little more... oh I don't know moral?

Immie

And there is dead seniors every year from dementia. ;)
A disease that also cost medicare quite a bit of money, and will cost medicare even more with baby boomers developing the disease.

As for there being no cures yet, Immie. I guess we should stop every research project that hasn't found a cure yet. Give me a break, there is no cures. LOL
there is no cures yet, because Cons let there personal beliefs get in the way of science for too long.

Problem is there have not even been any "breakthroughs" with embryonic stem cell research.

And again, if this is so valuable, let the research institutes fund it with their own money. The federal government should not be funding the destruction of innocent human life.

Immie

I think cloning a sheep is a break through, but that is just my opinion.

The beginnings of stem cell research in China may be traced back to 1963, 34 years before Dolly the sheep was introduced to the world, when the late embryologist Dizhou Tong transferred the DNA from a cell of a male Asian carp to an egg of a female Asian carp, and produced the world's first cloned fish (Tong et al. 1963). In previous decades, researchers had cloned micro-organisms and nematodes, as well as amphibians. But before Tong, nobody had ever managed to clone such a complex organism. To all appearances, the experiment was entirely successful. The cloned carp even sired a baby carp
Stem cell research in China

This is going to get me in trouble with PETA supporters, but I don't have a problem with experimentation on animals. They are not human beings! I do not support cruelty to animals, but I'm not opposed the cloning a fish or a sheep. That is different than destroying a human life IMHO.

Immie

I'm not. Why not use adult stem cells? My understanding is that adult stem cells are actually better for science than embryonic. Why not work with adult stem cells rather than destroy life?

Why must our government be so dead set on destroying life? What is it that liberals find so thrilling about destroying life? I'm not talking about you, but our government.

It seems to me that embryonic stem cell research is not something our government should be funding especially when we are trillions of dollars in debt already.

Immie

First they are using adult stem cells.

Second. From what I understand the frozen embryos they use are leftover from in vitro-fertilization attempts that are probably going to be destroyed.

I can thnk of a lot of things I wish the feds were not funding too. Medical research is not one of them.

What are embryonic stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

So, we should just add more spending to the federal government's budget? When to we cry "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES"? Seems to me that everyone wants to keep adding their projects but no one wants to say "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES". IMHO we have to cut spending. But tragically rather than cut spending we just keep adding to it.

I understand what they claim they are using. Whether that is the case (and some I am sure were going to be destroyed) or not is debatable. I have lost faith in people. The fact that they are justifying themselves by claiming these would have been destroyed anyway, makes me skeptical.

And even if they were to be destroyed, I object to the federal government participating in the destruction of innocent human life. If this is so valuable, let the research organizations fund the damned research.

Immie

Well they are either going to be destroyed or implanted.

I also object to the feds participating in the destruction of living innocent human beings. I just don't consider an embryo a living human being. It is alive, yes. Is it human, yes. Is it a living human, no.

First they are using adult stem cells.

Second. From what I understand the frozen embryos they use are leftover from in vitro-fertilization attempts that are probably going to be destroyed.

I can thnk of a lot of things I wish the feds were not funding too. Medical research is not one of them.

What are embryonic stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

So, we should just add more spending to the federal government's budget? When to we cry "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES"? Seems to me that everyone wants to keep adding their projects but no one wants to say "STOP YOU SONS OF BITCHES". IMHO we have to cut spending. But tragically rather than cut spending we just keep adding to it.

I understand what they claim they are using. Whether that is the case (and some I am sure were going to be destroyed) or not is debatable. I have lost faith in people. The fact that they are justifying themselves by claiming these would have been destroyed anyway, makes me skeptical.

And even if they were to be destroyed, I object to the federal government participating in the destruction of innocent human life. If this is so valuable, let the research organizations fund the damned research.

Immie

I also object to the feds participating in the destruction of living innocent human beings. I just don't consider an embryo a living human being. It is alive, yes. Is it human, yes. Is it a living human, no.

Then implant them... let them be born... let them grow up... then harvest the adult stem cells. :D Do that and everyone is happy, no?

Immie

We are already behind in this department. I guess you guys have no problem with Japan and China passing us by when it comes to medical research.

Not in stem cell research. Maybe some day, not yet. Just because the Bush administration stopped federal funding, research continued.

Top Stem Cell Research Laboratories Revealed

"....Christian Hesketh, the CEO of Ion Channel Media Group said, "It is remarkable that the US is still the clear leader in stem cell research despite the significant restrictions placed upon stem cell research in that country. We will likely see the rankings shift as research labs from other countries with fewer restrictions begin to pull ahead."

I read an article that says Britain leads the way in stem cell research, and China has made more progress than we have. ;)

There is no doubt that the ban hurt the US effort but I think we still have the lead on this research. I did some research on it back in 2008. We were still the leader then by far. It could very well be that other countries have overtaken us....

Immie

Then implant them... let them be born... let them grow up... then harvest the adult stem cells. :D Do that and everyone is happy, no?

Immie

Sorry I don't have the pumbing necessary and my wife had hers removed after the third baby. I think there are more embryos than wombs. I think using the cells in research is better that desposing of them as waste.

How many liberals are unaware of our debt level?

Why are you happy we will be adding to the debt by funding yet another thing private industry should handle?

fyi

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$14.3 TRILLION in the hole

How many conservatives are unaware how much we spend on medicare, when we should be trying to find cures for the diseases that we spend so much on. ;)

Name me ONE thing that the government has funded that worked out? I don't care if they are adult stem cells or embryonic, leave the damn research to private organizations, you know companies that actually have to show some sort of positive results to justify their continued funding.

You want to cure Alzheimer or cancer or AIDS? It's simple , offer the first company who can offer up a viable cure $100M tax free paid out over ten years. That shit would be cured in a year, with nothing but $100M invested by the government.

Immie

Sorry I don't have the pumbing necessary and my wife had hers removed after the third baby. I think there are more embryos than wombs. I think using the cells in research is better that desposing of them as waste.

Not you or your wife specifically! Also there is no rush... it is not like there is an expiration date. Save them for 500 years until they are ready to be implanted. Heck by that time, I would not be surprise if someone hasn't developed a mechanical womb so that they need not even be implanted in a woman's body... hmm! I wonder, should I patent that idea real quick?

Immie

have to disagree with you on that... just think what the man who discovers the cure for AIDS or Cancer will receive

Like I said, that person will likely work in a university lab or research hospital - and probably a state school at that, and NOT in the private sector. Corporations aren't interested in doing anything but making profits... this is why we are in such a horrific place with our healthcare costs and private insurers (aka evil parasites).

have to disagree with you on that... just think what the man who discovers the cure for AIDS or Cancer will receive

Like I said, that person will likely work in a university lab or research hospital - and probably a state school at that, and NOT in the private sector. Corporations aren't interested in doing anything but making profits... this is why we are in such a horrific place with our healthcare costs and private insurers (aka evil parasites).

It seems to me that the difference between you and I in this part of the discussion is as to whether or not the government's control would be better or worse than corporate control. I think worse by a long shot.

Immie

You want to cure Alzheimer or cancer or AIDS? It's simple , offer the first company who can offer up a viable cure $100M tax free paid out over ten years. That shit would be cured in a year, with nothing but $100M invested by the government.

Horse shit. If they're making Billions (that's with a B, sparky) a year making pills that do nothing more than make the symptoms of disease (most of them created by our industrialized western diet and corn subsidies, ironically) "tolerable" or hold off the inevitable a few years like Aricept - and note you must take these EXPENSIVE drugs for the rest of your life - and you think they'd kill that golden goose for something as final as a real cure for a measly 100 million? Right.

It seems to me that the difference between you and I in this part of the discussion is as to whether or not the government's control would be better or worse than corporate control. I think worse by a long shot.

Corporate control is NEVER better, especially in health-related issues.

And what do you mean by "government control"? Universities are not controlled by the government by any stretch - other than receiving research grants here and there. I would much rather fund this than farm subsidies (87 BILLION a year alone for this welfare gravy train for big agra) and other unnecessary corporate welfare.

Last edited:

University labs, even at state schools, are mostly funded with PRIVATE donations, not government funding.

Corporate control is NEVER better, especially in health-related issues.

You don't think our government is "Corporate"? Think about it? Not only do the corporations control our government, but our government is corporate in and of itself these days.

I think letting the Federal Government with its current CEO, Barack Obama, running health care is a prescription for an immediate disaster.

Immie

Forum List

Back