CDZ Could using Islam as a political philosophy make trumps ban constitutional?

The 1st Amendment cannot be diminished without a Declaration of War. However, make all immigrants to accept in statement and writing that shari'a is inferior to American law. That we can do.

What would be the point of that? That's the case already in U.S., whether they sign such a document or not.

The overwhelming Muslims in the U.S. who appeal to Sharia Law and Imams do so mainly to resolve domestic matters for which there is no requirement for them to invoke U.S. common law means of redress. In matters like spousal abuse, which may (seem to) fall into a "murky" area if the abused person doesn't opt to (for whatever reason) seek secular redress, if a police officer or other individual gets wind of its having possibly occurred, s/he can, absent the abused person's consent, bring the matter into the U.S. justice system as needed, at which point Sharia Law instantly becomes subordinate to U.S. secular laws.

Since you mentioned Sharia Law, I suspect you're familiar with the various conservative opinion outlets that have over the past year or so referred to the responses obtained in a couple polls taken by the Center for Security Policy, itself another promulgator of opinion. For now, I'll just suggest you look objectively, as someone who wants to obtain complete and contextually relevant information, at what the questions in the CSP polls ask and what they don't ask. Then examine what inferences and assertions are (have been) made in the conservative opinion press follow from the questions asked, but that also present the answers in the context that non-Muslim would understand, and without also noting the context in which a Muslim would perceive the question.

A Hypothetical Example of What I Mean:
Suppose Christians were polled and one of the questions is "Are Jesus' commandments superior to secular law?" Assuming 51% or more of Christians surveyed answered yes, some political group with an axe to grind would surely assert something like "most Christians think Biblical law should supercede the Constitution."

Yet having been a Christian for a long time, were I asked that question, I would impose my own contextual relevance to the question. One possible context is that I think Jesus' law to "love one's neighbor as oneself" is more important than anything in the Constitution. Another context I might apply is that I see the law "thou shall not murder's" having been given in the Bible superior to the fact that the U.S. code of laws contains the same prohibition.

An reader of an opinion piece who doesn't well understand Christianity and how it is applied by my "flavor" of Christian belief would all but certainly have no idea of either of those contextual reads to the question that I applied. It is that same stance of ignorance that most Western non-Muslims are necessarily in when it comes to evaluating the precious few questions in the CSP surveys. I was certainly in exactly that position earlier this year when I became happened upon some of what I was hearing/reading from conservatives about what U.S. Muslims think re: Sharia Law and its application.

It took me quite a lot of reading to arrive at a place whereby I have a sense of how a Muslim may have construed the questions the CSP asked, but when I had finished my research, I saw that how they likely viewed the inquires and how I viewed them were very, very different. What I'm saying is that one must, if one considers oneself equitable and intellectually rigorous, some legitimately critical research and analysis needs to happen before one even considers putting stock in the results of the CSP's surveys about what Muslims think about Sharia Law.

What the CSP says the responses mean and what undoubtedly most U.S. Muslims would say they had in mind when answering the questions aren't in fact the same things. That sort of discrepancy isn't uncommon in polls issued by groups that have a political "axe to grind."

Yea it is a religion. But it is also a political system. A political system, that in its entirety, must conquer anything that opposes it.
This thread is about a way to diminish the first amendment argument.
TY for the clarification. Let me think about that for a while. For now, I need to finish reading the two documents I noted earlier.
The 1st Amendment cannot be diminished without a Declaration of War. However, make all immigrants to accept in statement and writing that shari'a is inferior to American law. That we can do.

Why ask Jewish immigrants to sign a statement saying that Sharia is inferior to American law?

Instead- ask all immigrants to confirm that they accept that the U.S. Constitution is the Supreme Law in the United States and that they will not act in anyway contrary to the U.S. Constitution.

??? Every person who disembarks into a foreign nation already agrees, by virtue of being there, to be subject to the laws of that land. There's no need for anyone to sign a document averring that which they cannot forswear compliance.

Do you think that when you visit another country you are not automatically, merely by dint of setting foot there, that you remain under the purview and control of U.S. law only? You (or others) can think that, but rest assured that you can violate all the U.S. laws you want in a foreign country, and, so long as you aren't at a U.S. diplomatic venue like the embassy, consulate, or other related facilities, and nobody in that country will arrest you for violating U.S. law (let's agree to leave extradition-related and other special circumstances out of this discussion); the only legal infractions that will matter are the ones that pertain to the laws of the country in which you find yourself.

Moreover, immigrants to the U.S. already swear to do what your asking as follows:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
What more can they swear to that has any worth?

Islam is a political philosophy, legal system, hygiene system etc
Could that be used to make Trumps ban constitutional? I know people argue the first and it limits the government. Which, I agree with(thanks Jarhead). So what about this?
I don't agree with Trump on this, however, it's not a question of constitutionality.

These people aren't in the US and therefore have no constitutional rights here.

The right question is "Have you read the Constitution, the 1st Amendment, and any commentaries that apply to your concern about religion in America?"

What Harley doesn't want to address- because he just wants to argue about whether or not Islam is also a political system- is that Islam is a religion.

Does he want to argue that it is okay to ignore the Constitution if he says a religion is also a political system?

Who knows.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but I decided that he must realize that Islam is a religion, no matter the extent to which it is or is used to support social/political ends and/or means. I also opted to let him clarify what he wanted to discuss for it wasn't entirely clear from the OP just what it be, and I damn sure am not going to read through pages and pages of posts to try to find out. LOL
Yea it is a religion. But it is also a political system. A political system, that in its entirety, must conquer anything that opposes it.
This thread is about a way to diminish the first amendment argument.

"How to pretend a religion is not protected by the First Amendment"

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
They are not here yet to come for.

"Islam provides details for every facet of a person’s life, while this is not found in any other religion" (vol. 4, p. 285). ----Mufti Muhammad Aashiq Illahi Muhajir Madani

Well, I know damn well I don't concur with the Mufti. Along with the Ten Commandments, Christianity offers, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Actually Jesus didn't create that, it's in the Torah.

The first part is part of the Shema prayer, which is perhaps the most important prayer in Judaism.

Love your neighbor like yourself is also from the Torah.

Hear, O Israel, the L-rd is our G-d, the L-rd is One.

Translation of The Shema

Hear, O Israel, the L-rd is our G-d, the L-rd is One.

Blessed be the name of the glory of His kingdom forever and ever.

You shall love the L-rd your G-d with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words which I command you today shall be upon your heart. You shall teach them thoroughly to your children, and you shall speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road, when you lie down and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be for a reminder between your eyes. And you shall write them upon the doorposts of your house and upon your gates.

Judaism 101: Love and Brotherhood

The Talmud tells a story of Rabbi Hillel, who lived around the time of Jesus. A pagan came to him saying that he would convert to Judaism if Hillel could teach him the whole of the Torah in the time he could stand on one foot. Rabbi Hillel replied, "What is hateful to yourself, do not do to your fellow man. That is the whole Torah; the rest is just commentary. Go and study it." (Talmud Shabbat 31a). Sounds a lot like Jesus' "Golden Rule"?

But this idea was a fundamental part of Judaism long before Hillel or Jesus. It is a common-sense application of the Torah commandment to love your neighbor as yourself (Lev. 19:18), which Rabbi Akiba described as the essence of the Torah (according to Rashi's commentary on the verse).

The true difference between Judaism and Christianity lies in Hillel's last comment: Go and study it. Judaism is not content to leave love and brotherhood as a lofty ideal, to be fulfilled as each individual sees fit. Judaism spells out, in intricate detail, how we are meant to show that love.

The true difference between Judaism and Christianity lies in Hillel's last comment: Go and study it. Judaism is not content to leave love and brotherhood as a lofty ideal, to be fulfilled as each individual sees fit. Judaism spells out, in intricate detail, how we are meant to show that love.

Wait a minute? When did the most significant difference between Judaism and Christianity stop being all the stuff associated with Jews waiting for their Messiah's first arrival whereas Christians await their Messiah's second visit?

Whereas Christians know whom they are looking for at the train station, Jews haven't a clue who it'll be. Hell, once he arrives, they may not even believe it's him (her) if he walked on water to prove it. Then again, the Christians today may not either.

Wait a minute? When did the most significant difference between Judaism and Christianity stop being all the stuff associated with Jews waiting for their Messiah's first arrival whereas Christians await their Messiah's second visit?

Whereas Christians know whom they are looking for at the train station, Jews haven't a clue who it'll be. Hell, once he arrives, they may not even believe it's him (her) if he walked on water to prove it. Then again, the Christians today may not either.
Jews actually know what to look for. They are spelled out in Ezekiel 37 and Michah 4:3.

Some of the prophesies are

World peace
All the jews coming to Israel
All the Jews staying in Israel
All nations worshipping one G-D
The temple in Jerusalem being rebuilt and standing forever.

Please point out how this occurred during the life of jesus?

Also, Jews will never worship the messiah. The messiah will be a mortal man.

In fact, it's not really him that matters, it will be the messianiac age which important. Also only the one and only G-D has divine power.

To Jews worshipping jesus is the same thing as idol worship.

Christians are worshipping the wrong train.

In Judaism there is no first or second arrival. That's made up by Christians because jesus didn't fulfill the messianic prophesies.

believers in the Islamic Ideology, ummatan Muslimatun, they are all believers in one God and are obliged to submit to the Ultimate source of Law given by the Almighty in the Quran.
acts 5:29
Their goal is an Islamic state.
according to whom?
The religion teaches on how muslims should handle the economy, social issues, property, justice and even hygiene.
so does judaism and christianity
That's why they cut off womens clitoris'. It is law. It is in the hadith.
i'll have to give that some thought the next time i attend a bris.

and just as an fyi - female circumcision is not required of muslims and isn't mentioned in the koran. it's an ethnic and cultural thing.
Female circumcision is in the Hadith. Deny what you want.
"Islam provides details for every facet of a person’s life, while this is not found in any other religion" (vol. 4, p. 285). ----Mufti Muhammad Aashiq Illahi Muhajir Madani
n the Hadith Mohammed urges Muslims to practice Jihad. Mohammed once was asked: what is the best deed for the Muslim next to believing in Allah and His Apostle? His answer was: “To participate in Jihad in Allah's cause “ (Al Bukhari vol. 1:25 )
Mohammed said, “I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, none has the right to be worshipped but Allah” (Al Bukhari vol. 4:196).
“Whoever seeks other than Islam as his religion, it will not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he will be with the losers” “Slay the idolators [non-Muslims] wherever ye find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the last Day…. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! (Sura 9:5,29,41).
“To participate in Jihad in Allah's cause” (Al Bukhari vol. 1:25)
Sura 8:12 “Remember your Lord inspired the angels with the message: “I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: you smite them above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.”
“Take not the Jews and Christians for friends ... slay the idolaters [infidels] wherever ye find them. ...Fight against those who ... believe not in Allah nor the Last Day” (Sura 5:51; 9:5,29,41).
Sura 4:95 “Allah has granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit at home.”
and you really think that we can't find the exact same sort of passages in the bible?

islam does have rules for various aspects of life. so does judaism and christianity. how can you deny that?
You asked me who said islams goal was an Islamic state. I showed you that. You think islamic domination is in the bible? LOL
Every aspect of life lol. Will you show me where they force control fo the economy and property?
I am really asking. I don't know everything..
Lev. 25:23
Lev. 25:34
Lev. 25:29
Lev. 25:14
Lev. 25:37
Deut. 24:6

i can keep going if you want
The difference is that Jews don't subject everybody else in the world to their beliefs.

The radical Muslims kill the people who don't practice their beliefs.

Where exactly in your Constitution do you see it saying you can ban a religion- if that religion is also a political system?

Here is what my Constitution says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Show me what yours says
a hack lefty taking the word of the COTUS strictly. How quaint.
AGAIN, this could be presented to the courts as a political system. Regardless if you like it or not.
and that wouldn't matter. you could present it as a gift guide for the holidays, or as a phone book and astronomical record.

islam is a religion. that is the only part that matters.
Is it? See, we can block religious aspects if they are deemed harmful to society. Didn't the SC outlaw polygamy a while back? Why wouldn't a religion that is a threat to America itself NOT be worthy?
oh, so you want to block a practice.
okay, what practice would you like to block, and why?
no, I don't want to block specific practices.
Then your post doesn't make sense. We can block practices with a legitimate state interest such as polygamy or human sacrifice. We cannot ban religions

AGAIN, this could be presented to the courts as a political system. Regardless if you like it or not.
and that wouldn't matter. you could present it as a gift guide for the holidays, or as a phone book and astronomical record.

islam is a religion. that is the only part that matters.
Is it? See, we can block religious aspects if they are deemed harmful to society. Didn't the SC outlaw polygamy a while back? Why wouldn't a religion that is a threat to America itself NOT be worthy?
oh, so you want to block a practice.
okay, what practice would you like to block, and why?
no, I don't want to block specific practices.
Then your post doesn't make sense. We can block practices with a legitimate state interest such as polygamy or human sacrifice. We cannot ban religions
JakeStarkey: "The 1st Amendment cannot be diminished without a Declaration of War. However, make all immigrants to accept in statement and writing that shari'a is inferior to American law. That we can do."

Why do it? Because it (1) makes a statement, and (2) forces everyone to take a stand and (3) it's constitutional.

Where exactly in your Constitution do you see it saying you can ban a religion- if that religion is also a political system?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Show me what yours says

You have yet to essplain how that argument can be made.
OMG
That islam, by the very basic teachings, requires an Islamic state. For it to be a true isalmic state, they must go by the guidelines for property, justice, economy and other ways that was outlined in their teachings.

I count at least three times you've made that claim. I count zero times you've backed it up with anything.
: “To participate in Jihad in Allah's cause “ (Al Bukhari vol. 1:25 )
Mohammed said, “I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, none has the right to be worshipped but Allah” (Al Bukhari vol. 4:196).
“Whoever seeks other than Islam as his religion, it will not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he will be with the losers” “Slay the idolators [non-Muslims] wherever ye find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the last Day…. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! (Sura 9:5,29,41).
Sura 8:12 “Remember your Lord inspired the angels with the message: “I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: you smite them above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.”
“Take not the Jews and Christians for friends ... slay the idolaters [infidels] wherever ye find them. ...Fight against those who ... believe not in Allah nor the Last Day” (Sura 5:51; 9:5,29,41).
Sura 4:95 “Allah has granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit at home.”
Just a few of HUNDREDS of verses from muh himself. You have to read it pogo. You don't even know what the hadith is. IDK why you even want to argue about islam.

And STILL no link.

Wtf?

Show me what yours says

You have yet to essplain how that argument can be made.
OMG
That islam, by the very basic teachings, requires an Islamic state. For it to be a true isalmic state, they must go by the guidelines for property, justice, economy and other ways that was outlined in their teachings.

I count at least three times you've made that claim. I count zero times you've backed it up with anything.
: “To participate in Jihad in Allah's cause “ (Al Bukhari vol. 1:25 )
Just a few of HUNDREDS of verses from muh himself. You have to read it pogo. You don't even know what the hadith is. IDK why you even want to argue about islam.

Where's the link?

What Harley doesn't want to address- because he just wants to argue about whether or not Islam is also a political system- is that Islam is a religion.

Does he want to argue that it is okay to ignore the Constitution if he says a religion is also a political system?

Who knows.
Islam is a religion. I am talking about using it as a political system to get banned. You can present things in different manners.
I have proven that Islams goal is an Islamic state. Which is a complete economic/social system. Which is bannable as per the constitution. You can skirt around the OP if you wish. I guess.

Tell me exactly how you ban Islam as a political system- while not also unconstitutionally banning Islam- the religion.
It isn't two separate things. Islam is a religion and a political system.
See, I am giving the premise to constitutionally ban islam. Stop skirting around the OP!

Show me what yours says
And so could Christianity.

Indeed, the inspiration for the Establishment Clause was the many European kingdoms and empires which conjoined church and state, where Christian doctrine was as much political ideology as religious dogma, including members of the Christian clergy in positions of political power and authority, and acknowledging Christ as one's savior a condition of holding political office.

In addition, there are Christians who call for Christian dogma and biblical teachings to be codified into secular law, along with the errant, wrongheaded notion that the United States is a 'Christian Nation,' and that Christian beliefs should be allowed to be expressed through the political process, in clear violation of the Establishment Clause.

Islam is first and foremost a religion, whatever political ideology one might perceive to be commingled with Islam does not warrant the faith being stripped of its primary function as a religion and no longer entitled to Constitutional protections – such an 'argument' is motivated by ignorance and bigotry, and fails as a consequence; it's also inconsistent given the fact other religions function in a political context as well, including Christianity.

Could that be used to make Trumps ban constitutional? I know people argue the first and it limits the government. Which, I agree with(thanks Jarhead). So what about this?

Ban's constitutional as-is. Can exclude anyone you want for any reason. How it's actually worded, and what you say about the actual wording would likely be different, but the effect would be the same.

Can exclude economic refugees as was done with Hatiians, or contagious diseased people. Or most likely due to National Security concerns. If coming in with no or sketchy ID from a wartorn region a reasonable case can be made you're a security threat.

Thank you. The wording is everything. You just can't ban because someone is a Mooosllliimmmm.

I don't agree with Trump on this, however, it's not a question of constitutionality.

These people aren't in the US and therefore have no constitutional rights here.
yea but the first amendment not only protects the citizens, it limits the govt.

What would be the point of that? That's the case already in U.S., whether they sign such a document or not.

The overwhelming Muslims in the U.S. who appeal to Sharia Law and Imams do so mainly to resolve domestic matters for which there is no requirement for them to invoke U.S. common law means of redress. In matters like spousal abuse, which may (seem to) fall into a "murky" area if the abused person doesn't opt to (for whatever reason) seek secular redress, if a police officer or other individual gets wind of its having possibly occurred, s/he can, absent the abused person's consent, bring the matter into the U.S. justice system as needed, at which point Sharia Law instantly becomes subordinate to U.S. secular laws.

Since you mentioned Sharia Law, I suspect you're familiar with the various conservative opinion outlets that have over the past year or so referred to the responses obtained in a couple polls taken by the Center for Security Policy, itself another promulgator of opinion. For now, I'll just suggest you look objectively, as someone who wants to obtain complete and contextually relevant information, at what the questions in the CSP polls ask and what they don't ask. Then examine what inferences and assertions are (have been) made in the conservative opinion press follow from the questions asked, but that also present the answers in the context that non-Muslim would understand, and without also noting the context in which a Muslim would perceive the question.

A Hypothetical Example of What I Mean:
Suppose Christians were polled and one of the questions is "Are Jesus' commandments superior to secular law?" Assuming 51% or more of Christians surveyed answered yes, some political group with an axe to grind would surely assert something like "most Christians think Biblical law should supercede the Constitution."

Yet having been a Christian for a long time, were I asked that question, I would impose my own contextual relevance to the question. One possible context is that I think Jesus' law to "love one's neighbor as oneself" is more important than anything in the Constitution. Another context I might apply is that I see the law "thou shall not murder's" having been given in the Bible superior to the fact that the U.S. code of laws contains the same prohibition.

An reader of an opinion piece who doesn't well understand Christianity and how it is applied by my "flavor" of Christian belief would all but certainly have no idea of either of those contextual reads to the question that I applied. It is that same stance of ignorance that most Western non-Muslims are necessarily in when it comes to evaluating the precious few questions in the CSP surveys. I was certainly in exactly that position earlier this year when I became happened upon some of what I was hearing/reading from conservatives about what U.S. Muslims think re: Sharia Law and its application.

It took me quite a lot of reading to arrive at a place whereby I have a sense of how a Muslim may have construed the questions the CSP asked, but when I had finished my research, I saw that how they likely viewed the inquires and how I viewed them were very, very different. What I'm saying is that one must, if one considers oneself equitable and intellectually rigorous, some legitimately critical research and analysis needs to happen before one even considers putting stock in the results of the CSP's surveys about what Muslims think about Sharia Law.

What the CSP says the responses mean and what undoubtedly most U.S. Muslims would say they had in mind when answering the questions aren't in fact the same things. That sort of discrepancy isn't uncommon in polls issued by groups that have a political "axe to grind."

Thank you- that was a very well written post of your position.

Forum List

Back