Could Scotland really leave the UK?

Translation please.

I think he is saying that Scots were given threats if they voted Yes.
They were definitely intimidated. But what I meant was the sun has been setting on the empire for years. With Scotland gone they would have lost one third of the UK overnight.

To me the oddest thing was the clear bias against Scottish folks by both media and the general population outside of Scotland. Media was civilized about its bias but the common people were downright ugly about it even on this forum. This is not the way to appeal towards unity. I think this vitriol turned out to be the biggest impetus for Yes campaign and unless some real soul searching is done, this has a potential of becoming a serious issue in future.
I would discount the nationalistic nobs here, I am proud of the percentage of residents in Scotland who voted.
Serious issue in the future:badgrin:

45% has potential to turn into 55% if nothing is done about it.

On a side note, you and Swagger are the only two English I know on this forum who refrained from calling Scottish folks sheep f******. So I commend you two for that.
I'm British not English

They were definitely intimidated. But what I meant was the sun has been setting on the empire for years. With Scotland gone they would have lost one third of the UK overnight.

To me the oddest thing was the clear bias against Scottish folks by both media and the general population outside of Scotland. Media was civilized about its bias but the common people were downright ugly about it even on this forum. This is not the way to appeal towards unity. I think this vitriol turned out to be the biggest impetus for Yes campaign and unless some real soul searching is done, this has a potential of becoming a serious issue in future.
I would discount the nationalistic nobs here, I am proud of the percentage of residents in Scotland who voted.

On a side note, you and Swagger are the only two English I know on this forum who refrained from calling Scottish folks sheep f******. So I commend you two for that.
I'm British not English

Every English is British but every British is not English. What country in the Britain are you in?

I'm British not English

Every English is British but every British is not English. What country in the Britain are you in?
the isle of man so I am british not english.

Betcha the UK just dropped a phew load. They are running out of nails for the coffin.
Translation please.

like what?

I personally think Scottish folks psyched themselves out of this race. I think all the negativity that was hurled at them finally got to them. They started to believe the nonsense such as:

- they would lose their pension
- they won't be able to govern themselves
- their defense will be vulnerable
- etc.

The end result was they got the cold feet.

The "end result" was that they saw sense. Well, 55% of them did.

I'm British not English

I'm English, not really British at all.
In fact, I'd go as far as to say, I'm Yorkshire.

Betcha the UK just dropped a phew load. They are running out of nails for the coffin.
Translation please.

like what?

I personally think Scottish folks psyched themselves out of this race. I think all the negativity that was hurled at them finally got to them. They started to believe the nonsense such as:

- etc.

The "end result" was that they saw sense. Well, 55% of them did.

In another post, I suggested many Scottish people were idiots.
I feel vindicated because we now know 45% of Scots are idiots.

Your earlier point (sorry, forgot to quote):

Your earlier point (sorry, forgot to quote):

I've never really understood why so many people think that term has any basis in fact, and why it should be applied to the Scots and Welsh in the first place.

It's a form of class snobbery. By deriding someone as a sheep-shagger or something like that you position them as someone who spends a lot of time working with animals (i.e. a farmer) and therefore imply a pejorative about them being working class and about the working class in general.

All rather childish.

Translation please.

For me the biggest influence for the no vote was the fear of losing EU status as it stands.This is a very bad result for Ukip.

The biggest influence was the threat of many employers pulling out of Scotland because they could not afford to trade economically under an SNP government

Translation please.

like what?

- etc.

Or they came to their senses and realised that Salmond had lied to them about everything. Now it seems that they have lost most of their devolved powers and are going to have to pay for everything out of their taxes.

Translation please.

How as it was a one chance only referendum, they can hold as many as they want in the future they will not be legally binding

Translation please.

Because to us Brits that is reserved for the Welsh and the Yorkshirmen

I'm British not English

You people are still very tribal :)

Devasted youth is collecting itself and saying that Yes campaign has just begun.

scotland_young_3045487b.jpg

“I’m devastated,” says Rebecca Liddle. “If Westminster launches another illegal war, or the NHS gets sold off, then I want complete silence from anyone who voted 'No’. They had their chance.” She says she will not be able to sing Flower of Scotland again – her countrymen, she laments, are obviously not as brave as she thought.

For schoolyard voters the Scottish independence argument has only just begun - Telegraph

True.
Yorkshire people are very Yorkshire and, when some fool mixes us up with a red rose prat, we put the fucker straight.
32 years of fighting, all about 500 years ago, and we still go on about the Lancs - that idiot Dick shit has a lot to answer for - and he shouldn't be buried in York.

True.
Yorkshire people are very Yorkshire and, when some fool mixes us up with a red rose prat, we put the fucker straight.
32 years of fighting, all about 500 years ago, and we still go on about the Lancs - that idiot Dick shit has a lot to answer for - and he shouldn't be buried in York.
Lancashire, lah, lah, lah.....

I'm British not English

Some are, but according to the latest poll 55% of people living in Scotland are not.

Forum List

Back