Converting from coax to ethernet

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Bought a new router only to find it doesnt have your standard coax connection but an ethernet connection.
I cussed for a bit before hooking the old router back up so I could do some research. Found that yes indeed there is an adapter.
My question is what kind of speeds will I get through the adapter? Saw one that would handle 8 mbs which is obviously slow.
This all started when I called xfinity to bitch about my download speeds. Got this sweet old lady on the line to discuss the matter,she said my router is way to old and I needed to update and if I did my internet speed would increase to 400 mbs based on my contract. Which was only giving me 140 or 150 mbs previously...if I was lucky.
I picked up a NetGear Nighthawk RAXE 500 100NAS tri band router that will handle 10.8 Gbps.

So my question is will I get the full use of all those Gbps with an adapter.
As you can probably tell I suck at computers so any info would be greatly appreciated.
The Wife is going to go by Best Buy in the morning with router in hand and try and get a fix for it or should we go in a different direction?

Bought a new router only to find it doesnt have your standard coax connection but an ethernet connection.
I cussed for a bit before hooking the old router back up so I could do some research. Found that yes indeed there is an adapter.
My question is what kind of speeds will I get through the adapter? Saw one that would handle 8 mbs which is obviously slow.
This all started when I called xfinity to bitch about my download speeds. Got this sweet old lady on the line to discuss the matter,she said my router is way to old and I needed to update and if I did my internet speed would increase to 400 mbs based on my contract. Which was only giving me 140 or 150 mbs previously...if I was lucky.
I picked up a NetGear Nighthawk RAXE 500 100NAS tri band router that will handle 10.8 Gbps.

So my question is will I get the full use of all those Gbps with an adapter.
As you can probably tell I suck at computers so any info would be greatly appreciated.
The Wife is going to go by Best Buy in the morning with router in hand and try and get a fix for it or should we go in a different direction?
Well, first off, you need either a separate cable broadband modem (which does have a coax connection on it) that you can hook into the Nighthawk you purchased (which has the ethernet adapter), or get a combination unit of broadband cable modem/ wireless router all in one. (I have one that I "rent" from Xfinity).

You can go to BB, but also check out sites like Newegg...or..dare I say..Amazon. :)
Happy Hunting.

Well, first off, you need either a separate cable broadband modem (which does have a coax connection on it) that you can hook into the Nighthawk you purchased (which has the ethernet adapter), or get a combination unit of broadband cable modem/ wireless router all in one. (I have one that I "rent" from Xfinity).

You can go to BB, but also check out sites like Newegg...or..dare I say..Amazon. :)
Happy Hunting.

So the adapter wont work in my situation?

Happy Hunting.
True, the modem is for the cable or phone comapny to receive their signal and the router is for wi-fi from the modem signal(or feed)...

Happy Hunting.

So I need to buy a modem to go with my router.
Funny...I've been through this several times and I still fuck it up.
The Wife just said I was banned from buying modems and routers from here on out. :laughing0301:

So I need to buy a modem to go with my router.
Funny...I've been through this several times and I still fuck it up.
The Wife just said I was banned from buying modems and routers from here on out. :laughing0301:
I made that mistake a loooong time ago, I think I ended up giving it away. I picked up a modem/router combo, an Arris that was Xfinity compatible.

Here are some of the top rated combos today.

The 7 Best Modem Router Combo for Xfinity in 2021

I made that mistake a loooong time ago, I think I ended up giving it away. I picked up a modem/router combo, an Arris that was Xfinity compatible.

Here are some of the top rated combos today.

The 7 Best Modem Router Combo for Xfinity in 2021

Picked up a NetGear NightHawk AX2700 this morning.
It'll handle everything we need it to do and then some. The Geek at Best Buy tried to talk us into a cheaper one but we told him we planned on upgrading our speed to 1000Mps and we'd rather have more than we need than to come up short.

Picked up a NetGear NightHawk AX2700 this morning.
It'll handle everything we need it to do and then some. The Geek at Best Buy tried to talk us into a cheaper one but we told him we planned on upgrading our speed to 1000Mps and we'd rather have more than we need than to come up short.

Just sayin... you will likely not get 1000 Mps speeds no matter what router you buy.
And no matter what your ISP plan says.
ISP love the phrase - "up to XXXX Mps!!"... only they use the "up to" VERY liberally.
At the same time, unless you are streaming Ultra HD on 4 televisions at the same time while playing 2 video games and downloading music... all at the same time... you will never - ever actually use 1000 Mbs anyways.

Just sayin... you will likely not get 1000 Mps speeds no matter what router you buy.
And no matter what your ISP plan says.
ISP love the phrase - "up to XXXX Mps!!"... only they use the "up to" VERY liberally.
At the same time, unless you are streaming Ultra HD on 4 televisions at the same time while playing 2 video games and downloading music... all at the same time... you will never - ever actually use 1000 Mbs anyways.

Dont I know it.
I'm paying for 200 Mps but I generally get 50 to 60 Mps.
If I up my speed to 1000 Mps I'll at least get more than I'm getting now.
When I call and bitch it goes up to around 150 ....for a couple days,then it's right back to 50 or 60.
What really pisses me off and gets me to calling xfinity is when the Wife and I cant both stream videos at the same time which is complete Bullshit!!!

Dont I know it.
I'm paying for 200 Mps but I generally get 50 to 60 Mps.
If I up my speed to 1000 Mps I'll at least get more than I'm getting now.
When I call and bitch it goes up to around 150 ....for a couple days,then it's right back to 50 or 60.
What really pisses me off and gets me to calling xfinity is when the Wife and I cant both stream videos at the same time which is complete Bullshit!!!
Very typical. One thing you might consider is large ISP providers like Xfinity throttle user speeds according to their usage.
So let's say for your usage, Xfinity holds your router at 30mbs which is definitely high enough to stream even a 4k Ultra movie.
But if your are trying to watch two Ultra 4K at same time - that won't work. Your TV will likely "dumb down" to 1080p etc. in order to maintain a buffer.
One thing I tell folks is your tv likely has a menu to display current resolution for what you are watching.
For instance on my Samsung, I click source, choose what I am watching (pretty much always Roku) and in the corner of the TV it will display the resolution. This is a great way to piss people off. They will pay the extra $2 to get 4k Ultra when renting a movie to find out it is not displaying 4K because Netflix/Vudu whoever has dumbed it down because their internet speed is too slow.
I am willing to bet at minimum half of movies people pay to get 4k and they are not getting it, and don't even know it.

Very typical. One thing you might consider is large ISP providers like Xfinity throttle user speeds according to their usage.
So let's say for your usage, Xfinity holds your router at 30mbs which is definitely high enough to stream even a 4k Ultra movie.
But if your are trying to watch two Ultra 4K at same time - that won't work. Your TV will likely "dumb down" to 1080p etc. in order to maintain a buffer.
One thing I tell folks is your tv likely has a menu to display current resolution for what you are watching.
For instance on my Samsung, I click source, choose what I am watching (pretty much always Roku) and in the corner of the TV it will display the resolution. This is a great way to piss people off. They will pay the extra $2 to get 4k Ultra when renting a movie to find out it is not displaying 4K because Netflix/Vudu whoever has dumbed it down because their internet speed is too slow.
I am willing to bet at minimum half of movies people pay to get 4k and they are not getting it, and don't even know it.

Thats another reason I want to go with 1000Mps.
Just got a new 4k 77 inch LG OLED and I'm going to pick up a 38 or 49 inch LG Ultra wide for a sim a racing setup.

Last edited:
Thats another reason I want to go with 1000Mps.
Just got a new 4k 77 inch LG OLED and I'm going to pick up a 38 inch LG Ultra wide for a sim a racing setup.
Good deal.
In the living room we have a 75" Samsung curved TV. Fantastic picture, and the curved screen is worth it. For folks not setting directly in front - the curve eliminates glare and "dark screen".

Good deal.
In the living room we have a 75" Samsung curved TV. Fantastic picture, and the curved screen is worth it. For folks not setting directly in front - the curve eliminates glare and "dark screen".

I dont mind the flat screen for watching movies i've heard the curved screen can be a problem when you have a bunch of people watching that are spread out.
I will definitely be getting the curved screen for the sim set up since I'll be the only one watching.

Forum List

Back