Conservatives. Stop looking for a President for 2012

Imagine the commerce that would have been created by the increase in commuter traffic...

Look at how the Boston area is booming after the "big dig" fiasco. When you don't have the money you don't do the project. I applaud Christie for stopping the project until the funding is found. I like infrastructure projects, but I also like balanced budgets.
.....And, eliminating those (tax-payers') JOBS, helps covering Jersey's budget, HOW?????

323.png

The Guv could just hire illegal to work on the tunnel project and save taxpayers a lot of money.
It does seem to be the republican way.

LOL 46,000 jobs down the tubes

Since you failed math and english.

Each job would have cost $217,391.

And he's going to have other things fixed, which will create jobs.

the entire amount of money is to be spent on labor? Nothing for materials?
Now that would be an interesting rail tunnel.
Easy, there!! You're addressing two different issues.

You know what happens, when 'Baggers go-into gray-matter-overload.....

HeadExplode.gif

"We had supported Christie's 30-day freeze on the project, thinking it would give him time to get a more realistic cost estimate of the tunnel. Christie said Thursday his concerns about cost overruns were realized; he was told the project could cost $2.3 billion to $5.3 billion more than the previous $8.7 billion estimate. But he did not share the letter outlining the new cost projections, or elaborate on how they were derived, with lawmakers or reporters.

That fact, coupled with his failure to reach out to officials from New York City and state, and various transportation agencies during the past month to try to negotiate new funding commitments, suggests he may have wanted to sandbag the project all alonghttp://www.app.com/article/20101010/OPINION01/10100339/Christie-off-the-rails-on-tunnel.

Whatever the cost overruns might turn out to be, there is no better time than now to build the tunnel, when construction costs are at rock-bottom. It certainly won't get any cheaper to build in the future, and the governor's willingness to spurn the 44,000 new jobs the project would create raises doubts about whether he is seriously committed to jump-starting New Jersey's economy."

And he's going to have other things fixed, which will create jobs.

the entire amount of money is to be spent on labor? Nothing for materials?
Now that would be an interesting rail tunnel.

Ya got me. I didn't think that all the way through.

Still in my defense; If they don't have the money, they don't have the money. The only thing more expesive than building it, would have been them running out of money, stopping, they starting again, b/c they would have to fix whatever fell apart.

The libs in this argument have won me over. I'm going to go and buy a brand new Corvette today so I can get to work quicker. It doesn't matter if I can't afford it. Thanks for the enlightenment!!!! :clap2:

But as soon as he announced the work stoppage, lawmakers and transportation officials suggested Christie had planned to scrap the project and to use the state's share of the money to pay for the nearly broke Transportation Trust Fund, which pays for local road projects and existing rail repairs. Oh the horror of taking care of what you have!! He was for it until the cough unions cough moved the price tag to "maybe" $10 billion.

Christie has refused to raise the state's gas tax, which is among the lowest in the country, to replenish the fund.

So he refuses to make sure that the revenue stream dedicated to repair and maintenance is properly funded and instead steals from new infrastructure investment to continue to paper over the looming debt issues. Spiral-of-Debt-NJTTF

Nice.

Does that mean that all of the building material would have been free?

According to the wingnuts, yes! All of the money would have simply been used to create the jobs. The materials that went into building the tunnell would have been donated by the company that got the contracts. BTW, it's those same companies that are creating the cost overruns.

According to the wingnuts, yes! All of the money would have simply been used to create the jobs. The materials that went into building the tunnell would have been donated by the company that got the contracts. BTW, it's those same companies that are creating the cost overruns.

You should read a few more posts, I covered that.

fyi, it's a union run company, that's why the over cost. The union never ever comes close to being on budget. and you know that.

But as soon as he announced the work stoppage, lawmakers and transportation officials suggested Christie had planned to scrap the project and to use the state's share of the money to pay for the nearly broke Transportation Trust Fund, which pays for local road projects and existing rail repairs. Oh the horror of taking care of what you have!! He was for it until the cough unions cough moved the price tag to "maybe" $10 billion.

Christie has refused to raise the state's gas tax, which is among the lowest in the country, to replenish the fund.

So he refuses to make sure that the revenue stream dedicated to repair and maintenance is properly funded and instead steals from new infrastructure investment to continue to paper over the looming debt issues. Spiral-of-Debt-NJTTF

Nice.

You are kidding me right?

One of the main reasons for the debt in your link was the creation of more and more roads. If you think a road is expensive, try 2 tunnels.

If anything, you proved me right.

In accounting we call this extraordinary losses or gains, which don't belong in operating cash flow as they are not indicative of future earnings. Road maintenance is an ongoing expense of government and should have it's revenue stream adjusted accordingly. You don't let your house fall apart because you don't have the budget to fix the roof, you get another job and increase your revenue to cover that expense so you don't lose your whole investment. New roads should be indicative of growth. Strangling your revenue stream while loading up on debt for general maint and repair is short-sighted pandering to the public that wishes to eat steak while paying for ramen.

In accounting we call this extraordinary losses or gains, which don't belong in operating cash flow as they are not indicative of future earnings. Road maintenance is an ongoing expense of government and should have it's revenue stream adjusted accordingly. You don't let your house fall apart because you don't have the budget to fix the roof, you get another job and increase your revenue to cover that expense so you don't lose your whole investment. New roads should be indicative of growth. Strangling your revenue stream while loading up on debt for general maint and repair is short-sighted pandering to the public that wishes to eat steak while paying for ramen.

:lol: :clap2:

God Bless America!!!!!

:lol:

Unfettered-Capitali$m; ain't it GRAND??!!

249.gif

No snide remarks about Cristies weight here. I personally think he's a bully, and has some very stupid ideas for education, etc. And the decision to end construction is stupid. Besides the jobs it woulda created, It also would've ended all the strain on the over 100yr old tunnel currently servicing that area.

So you want NJ to go another $10 billion in the whole, something they can't afford to do, and then borrow more money to fix the roads, something else they can't afford to do, or to pay for it, raise taxes, something the people and private biz of NJ can't afford right now?

That's called tax and spend. It has not worked, is not working and will not work. So why not wait until you can afford the tunnel?

So you want NJ to go another $10 billion in the whole, something they can't afford to do, and then borrow more money to fix the roads, something else they can't afford to do, or to pay for it, raise taxes, something the people and private biz of NJ can't afford right now?

That's called tax and spend. It has not worked, is not working and will not work. So why not wait until you can afford the tunnel?

If you can't afford taxes to pay for your roads when you have the third highest GDP per capita in the US, you need to stop smoking crack.

Forum List

Back