Conservatives. Stop looking for a President for 2012

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
He's been in Jersey the entire time.

N.J. governor scraps $10 billion rail tunnel

With costs rising, Christie says new path into Manhattan is too expensive

TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Thursday killed a decades-in-the-making train tunnel connecting New Jersey and Manhattan, saying the state can't afford to pay for cost overruns on the project.

Construction on the project began last year and was scheduled to be completed in 2018. The largest federal transportation project in the country, it was expected to double train traffic in and out of New York City during peak commute times.

But over the years, the cost for the tunnel has also nearly doubled as well. cough thank the unions, cough cough

It started at $5 billion in 2005 and grew to $8.7 billion by 2008. In recent months, Federal Transit Administrator Peter Rogoff has made public statements that put the price tag between $9 billion and $10 billion. cough unions cough

At a news conference Thursday, Christie said: "I can't put taxpayers on a never-ending hook."

New Jersey had committed $2.7 billion to the project. The federal government and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had each pledged $3 billion.

A month ago, the Republican governor ordered a 30-day halt to all work on the tunnel over concerns that the project would go over budget.

Plans for the project had been in the works for about 20 years.

Currently, NJ Transit and Amtrak share a century-old two-track tunnel beneath the Hudson River. The new tunnel would add two more tracks, doubling the number of NJ Transit trains that could pass under the river.

Officials said it would create 6,000 construction jobs and add at least 40,000 new jobs after it is completed. They guess.

Christie's predecessor, Democratic Gov. Jon Corzine, broke ground on the tunnel in June 2009, a few months before the gubernatorial election that he lost to Christie.

During his campaign for governor last year, Christie supported the project.

But as soon as he announced the work stoppage, lawmakers and transportation officials suggested Christie had planned to scrap the project and to use the state's share of the money to pay for the nearly broke Transportation Trust Fund, which pays for local road projects and existing rail repairs. Oh the horror of taking care of what you have!! He was for it until the cough unions cough moved the price tag to "maybe" $10 billion. In union speak that means $15 billion.

Christie has refused to raise the state's gas tax, which is among the lowest in the country, to replenish the fund. YEAH!!! GOOD FOR HIM!! AND NJ!!!

So far, about $600 million has been spent on the tunnel project. New Jersey could be on the hook to repay half of that to the federal government for breaking its commitment.

U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., has said canceling the tunnel would violate an agreement with the feds in which New Jersey committed itself to the project in exchange for $3 billion in federal funding. He and other tunnel proponents planned to speak out on the governor's decision later Thursday. So far it's not canceld, it can be re-started once it can be afforded again.

Cris Christie for President!!

Name one other pol besides Christie who would fix Medicare and SS. I believe that Christie would be a GOP rock star in 2012 if he fixes NJ.

Name one other pol besides Christie who would fix Medicare and SS. I believe that Christie would be a GOP rock star in 2012 if he fixes NJ.

well, if by fix you mean terminate funding for medicare and SS, then yes, he's your guy!

75 million senior citizens can still lynch you.

well, if by fix you mean terminate funding for medicare and SS, then yes, he's your guy!

You mean like how Obama and the Democrats stole money from Medicare and medicaid to fund their health care plan?

Who will get lynched when Americans find out the US government has been stealing from Medicare and Social Security?

"Let me be as clear as I can about this for maybe the 20th time. I am not running for President of the United States," vows Christie. "If the Gods of the Republican Party descend on my home in August of 2012 and say, 'Listen, we'll just transport you to the convention in Tampa and anoint you on the first ballot,' I'll say, 'No thank you' and anything short of that between running for it and the anointing by the angels and Gods of the Republican Party and anything in between, it's not happening."

Well, he must at least be considering a run for Vice President, right? Wrong! Christie claims, "I am not running for national office."

Christie On Prez Run: Ain't Gonna Happen - New Jersey 101.5 FM

It's going to take at least two terms to whip NJ back in shape.
Sorry folks, he's ours for now.

You mean like how Obama and the Democrats stole money from Medicare and medicaid to fund their health care plan?
That's a lie.

:rolleyes:

"Let me be as clear as I can about this for maybe the 20th time. I am not running for President of the United States," vows Christie. "If the Gods of the Republican Party descend on my home in August of 2012 and say, 'Listen, we'll just transport you to the convention in Tampa and anoint you on the first ballot,' I'll say, 'No thank you' and anything short of that between running for it and the anointing by the angels and Gods of the Republican Party and anything in between, it's not happening."

Well, he must at least be considering a run for Vice President, right? Wrong! Christie claims, "I am not running for national office."

Christie On Prez Run: Ain't Gonna Happen - New Jersey 101.5 FM

It's going to take at least two terms to whip NJ back in shape.
Sorry folks, he's ours for now.

Oh Man! Don't be so selfish! Once he's fixed DC, I'm sure the job of fixing NJ would be a peice of cake.

crud

He's the front runner and he's not even racing.:eusa_pray:

It's a damned-good-thing there are no Jersey-style weenies, out West!!

Hell....if there was, the rest-o'-the-World would start thinkin' this Country was totally-populated with "conservatives" who were afraid of any-and-all risks....not-to-mention, their own shadows.
356.gif

10/17/2010

The Birth of a Modern Marvel

"The first time I saw the Hoover Dam, more than 15 years ago, I remember thinking that anyone who really wants to understand America needs to see it. I’d been exposed to images of the dam my whole life—in history books, in movies—but nothing can prepare you for its size, beauty, and audaciousness in person. The most ambitious and resonant public-works project in the U.S., it boosted the nation’s spirit during the Depression, provided the irrigation and power that nurtured the West, and inspired generations of big dreamers.

When I visited the dam again recently, I gazed upon something equally breathtaking: the new concrete-arch bridge that sits a quarter-mile downstream on the Colorado River. Appropriately modern, the dramatic span resembles nothing more than a massive emoticon: a wide dash atop a sideways parenthesis wedged between the jagged canyon walls. And while the bridge was built to protect national security—by routing vehicles away from the vulnerable dam—and ease traffic, the timing of its completion has turned it into a spectacular 75th birthday present to the Hoover Dam (which President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated on Sept. 30, 1935).

Like the dam—which was the world’s tallest in its day—this new landmark boasts superlatives of its own. It is the largest concrete-arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere, sitting on the highest precast segmented columns in the world.

Ground was broken in January 2005, with completion targeted for late 2008. Workers began by excavating 25,000 cubic yards of rock and building 300-foot-high reinforced concrete columns that would support the first 840 feet of roadway on land. Then they erected 140-foot-tall metal towers on either side of the canyon and strung an elaborate system of steel cables across it. Functioning like a heavy-duty dumbwaiter, the cable system was critical; it would need to transport and hold up to 50-ton loads of material and workers over the river.

So it was a huge setback on Sept. 15, 2006, when one of the towers collapsed in a storm and brought down the cable system. The accident added over a year to the schedule. While a replacement was being built, crews at another site made the concrete columns that would be the bridge’s vertical supports.

By January 2008, a new cable system was in place, and workers embarked on the most challenging step: constructing the arch in mid-air. Rather than being cast on the ground and then put into position, the bridge would be the first of its scale in the U.S. whose arch would be cast—piece by 25-foot piece, 106 in all—while dangling over the river. The growing halves were held in place by the steel--cable system, and workers could adjust the arches’ angle by tensing the cables, much like tuning a 300-foot-tall harp. The goal was to make sure the two sides met—they could be no more than one inch apart. “It wasn’t a job for the weak of heart or the weak of skill said Ken Hirschmugl, project director for Obayashi Corp., one of the companies that built the bridge with the U.S. government.

Everyone who works at the Hoover Dam is curious about the impact of the new structure, which Congress has named the Mike O’Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (after the late Nevada governor and the late Arizona soldier and football player). Ken Rice, who runs the dam, hopes that with less congestion, more tourists will visit and learn about its key role in the history of the United States.

At 900 feet in the air, the bridge offers views so panoramic I almost felt like I was flying. Next to me, Dave Zanetell savored the last days of his 10-year construction odyssey and wondered what he, and the country, can do with the lessons learned. “There’ll only be one bridge built in the shadow of the Hoover Dam, the greatest location in America,” he said. “Now that we’re finished, we have an obligation to take this sense of possibility and go do 10 more amazing things

Hoover+Dam+Bypass.jpg

Imagine the commerce that would have been created by the increase in commuter traffic...

Look at how the Boston area is booming after the "big dig" fiasco. When you don't have the money you don't do the project. I applaud Christie for stopping the project until the funding is found. I like infrastructure projects, but I also like balanced budgets.

That's a lie.

:rolleyes:

I suggest you actually READ the bill and the then research how Obama brought the expected costs down to lie to us about. MORON.

Forum List

Back