Conservatives. Stop looking for a President for 2012

So government can quit after maintaining roads and re-do public employee pensions to stop bleeding to death?

I've got no problem with seniors learning to dumpster dive. Let's kill medicare too and let them pay retail. Freaking seniors being so damn financially independent messed up free childcare for a lot of us.
:eusa_whistle:

Who is cutting Medicare and who has stolen from Social Security since the beginning?

If government is $13T in debt, are either of those "paid for" by taxes?

As I said, I have no problem with getting rid of all those pesky wealth transference social programs. Bring back the baby-farmers and flop-houses, I say. Let the keening cry of "How am I going to survive?" ring out over the land. Food, shelter, energy, health-care? Fuck 'em. Can't earn, can't live.

It's not so complicated.

No snide remarks about Cristies weight here. I personally think he's a bully, and has some very stupid ideas for education, etc. And the decision to end construction is stupid. Besides the jobs it woulda created, It also would've ended all the strain on the over 100yr old tunnel currently servicing that area.
I'm thinkin' Republicans have adopted the same "standards" the airline-industry relied-upon (regarding safety-upgrades), in the '70s; body-count.

If it was less-expensive paying insurance-claims (after a CRASH)...than it was doing the necessary safety-upgrades....to AVOID such a CRASH....they decided those upgrades weren't cost-effective.

Once that old-tunnel goes FLAT...I'm sure Republicans will reconsider the cost-effectiveness of a replacement.​

Last edited:
Did the New Deal invent vaccines and antibiotics?

Did someone's life get saved because Social Security gave them fifty cents a day?

Several New Deal programs remain active, with some still operating under the original names, including the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC), the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). The largest programs still in existence today are the Social Security System and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

I'd say these protections contributed to the survival of many. Tell me again how the private sector cured polio or paid for massive initiatives to inoculate the majority of citizens. SSDI pays enough to survive on and opens the door to other eligibilities.

That's not the point though. The destruction of wealth transfer societal safety nets in order to force the lazy into productivity is the point.

Right?

Will we have county cemetaries too where the poor are buried?
Cremation should be cheaper too and might even get a KW or two out of the fire.

Christie said he was comfortable walking away from the project unless the federal government finds another source of money to cover cost overruns on the Access to the Region’s Core (ARC) project, which is projected by Christie’s advisers to cost $2.3 billion to $5.3 billion more than the original $8.7 billion price tag.

"I don’t want to hear about the jobs it will create. If I don’t have the money for the payroll," it will not create the jobs, Christie said. "This is not a difficult decision for me."

Well, well. Looks like NY doesn't want to pick up the extra tab either.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and New York Gov. David Paterson said today they would like to see the project move forward, but were unwilling to commit city or state funds to it.

"It would be a great project for the region," Bloomberg said.

But, he added, "New York City does not have the money to put in."

Bloomberg and Paterson both lauded Christie for exercising fiscal responsibility, while at the same time recognizing the usefulness of the ARC project.

N.J. Gov. Christie to pull plug on Hudson River tunnel project unless other financial source is found | NJ.com

Interesting...

The federal government and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had each pledged $3 billion to the tunnel. New Jersey had committed $2.7 billion. The project is being run by NJ Transit.

The tunnel would have cost the State of New Jersey about 30% (that estimated at about $2.7 billion) of the overall cost of construction.

The rest of the cost was picked up by the Port Authority of New York and the FEDs would have put in another $3 billion.

Personally I think it would have been a good investment for New Jersey since it would have made living in New Jersey and working in Manhattan easier than it is now.

So that means any new commuters who would end up living in NJ (because then it would be more accessible) , would have paid NJ real estate taxes and incomes taxes.

In the short run, however, perhaps the Garden State cannot afford it. (I really don't know)

But in the long run, New Jersey would have benefitted from its construction.

As it stands now canceling the project will cost NJ $600 million for the work already done.

That's money that is now, thanks to the cancelation, completely down the drain (or should I say great big hole in the ground that is NOT useful?).

c'mon editec, that requires insight into the future. that's not the conservative shtick.

something tells me both governors are whining for feds to take up the slack, but in particular patterson.

Good for both of them. Sounds like a "shovel ready project" to me. Oh wait. There is no such thing. My bad.

yeah, i guess i dont mind this sort of politics within reason, either, but i don't complain much about earmarks and porkbarrel spending or contend that the states should dominate the federal government in matters like this. it is clear that states are the biggest sucklers on the fed teet, and it's because of maneuvers like this. so are the slipping budgets on these projects. everyone's out to exploit the largess in the end.

Forum List

Back