Congressional Wealth

Lesh

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2016
Another thread mentioned how wealthy Dem Congressman Goldman and Nacy Pelosi were.

I just thought I would set the record straight

7 of the top wealthiest Congressmen are REPUBLICANS and neither Pelosi nor Goldman are on that top ten.

It’s amazing the things that Republicans believe that are simply false

Another thread mentioned how wealthy Dem Congressman Goldman and Nacy Pelosi were.

7 of the top wealthiest Congressmen are REPUBLICANS and neither Pelosi nor Goldman are on that top ten.

I am not going to take the time to vet the numbers and you didn't either. How many of those Republican millionaires had their fortunes before entering into politics?

The difference is how they made their money.

Mark Warner for example is a Democrat from Virginia. He made all his money BEFORE he came to Congress.

Nancy Pelosi on the other hand used her position in Congress to purchase stocks using information the public wasn't privy too. Anywhere else that's called insider trading. In Congress that's called business as usual.

Republicans don't pretend to care about the poor.
How do we spend endless trillions of dollars on eradicating the poor and still have the same percentage when we went full tilt into this in the 1960's? Massive increases not just in federal outlays, also state, local and city outlays. Private donations from corporate and citizens increases outlays massively more. Incredibly there are commercials on TV showing children going to sleep at night hungry. Something is wrong. The money spent on poverty is ever growing. And yet here it is not eliminated from the promises made when laws were enacted.

Republicans don't pretend to care about the poor.

No, they don't pretend. They actually do something for the poor. Even the National Institute of Health, an official US government organization says this:

"Our meta-analysis results suggest that political conservatives are significantly more charitable than liberals at an overall level"

Are conservatives more charitable than liberals in the U.S.? A meta-analysis of political ideology and charitable giving - PubMed

I wonder where Wikipedia sourced their info.

This article:

shows a difference picture.

The business insider is a 2021 article, and the Wikipedia page was also last updated in 2021, but the bottom of the wiki table, it says the wealth numbers were taken from 2018 data. It appears that the business insider information is a bit more up to date.

If you look at the numbers from the wiki and the numbers from the article, it appears that some of the values on the wiki articles have been inflated by about 50 million…so, that would make you believe that those people lost about 50 million in net worth between 2018 and 2021?

Also, the people are not the same in each list. For example, in the business insider, Dianne Feinstein is listed but is completely absent in the top 50 on the wiki article.

also, the wiki article says that its information isn’t accurate (upper range over 50 million not specified) and it says it uses the net worth of the member themselves, and their spouse and dependent children, which may explain why the numbers vary between the two lists.

It also doesn’t specify the source of their income, whether they got rich in congress or if it was an outside business, like Romney, for example.

How do we spend endless trillions of dollars on eradicating the poor and still have the same percentage when we went full tilt into this in the 1960's? Massive increases not just in federal outlays, also state, local and city outlays. Private donations from corporate and citizens increases outlays massively more. Incredibly there are commercials on TV showing children going to sleep at night hungry. Something is wrong. The money spent on poverty is ever growing. And yet here it is not eliminated from the promises made when laws were enacted.

The same question can be asked as to why we continue to need to bail out banks, businesses and the markets?

During Covid businesses got millions. The people a couple thousand. In situations like that the people are going to continue to fall further and further behind.

Want to end welfare AND end the Federal Reserve and let the chips fall where they may?

I'd go for that. Is it ever going to happen? Not until the rest of the world makes it happen and they will.

No, they don't pretend. They actually do something for the poor. Even the National Institute of Health, an official US government organization says this:

"Our meta-analysis results suggest that political conservatives are significantly more charitable than liberals at an overall level"

Are conservatives more charitable than liberals in the U.S.? A meta-analysis of political ideology and charitable giving - PubMed

Your local church can not come anywhere close to meeting the needs of millions.

I am not going to take the time to vet the numbers and you didn't either. How many of those Republican millionaires had their fortunes before entering into politics?
A whole lotta “yeah but” bullshit

As expected

This list of members of the United States Congress by wealth includes the fifty richest members of Congress as of 2018. It displays the net worth (the difference between assets and liabilities) for the member and their immediate family, such as a spouse or dependent children. These figures offer only an estimation of wealth, as the Congressional financial disclosure rules use value ranges instead of exact amounts.[1] As an upper range is not specified for values over $50 million (or over $1 million for a spouse), large assets are not represented accurately. Additionally, government salaries and personal residences are not typically included in disclosures.[2] Furthermore, several members of Congress do not use a standardized electronic format, instead filing reports that range from vague to indecipherable.[3] As of 2020, over half of the members of Congress were millionaires and the median net worth of members was approximately $1 million.[4]

Say Lesh, since you defended Pelosi, have you seen the properties she owns that are not included on her report to Congress?

A large Napa Valley, CA Estate that is walled by the way. A large home in SF in an exclusive area, not included in her declaration. She is pretty damned wealthy. Her husband was also a high paid person.

This list of members of the United States Congress by wealth includes the fifty richest members of Congress as of 2018. It displays the net worth (the difference between assets and liabilities) for the member and their immediate family, such as a spouse or dependent children. These figures offer only an estimation of wealth, as the Congressional financial disclosure rules use value ranges instead of exact amounts.[1] As an upper range is not specified for values over $50 million (or over $1 million for a spouse), large assets are not represented accurately. Additionally, government salaries and personal residences are not typically included in disclosures.[2] Furthermore, several members of Congress do not use a standardized electronic format, instead filing reports that range from vague to indecipherable.[3] As of 2020, over half of the members of Congress were millionaires and the median net worth of members was approximately $1 million.[4]

Say Lesh, since you defended Pelosi, have you seen the properties she owns that are not included on her report to Congress?

A large Napa Valley, CA Estate that is walled by the way. A large home in SF in an exclusive area, not included in her declaration. She is pretty damned wealthy. Her husband was also a high paid person.
Whole lotta “yeah but”

As expected

The same question can be asked as to why we continue to need to bail out banks, businesses and the markets?

During Covid businesses got millions. The people a couple thousand. In situations like that the people are going to continue to fall further and further behind.

Want to end welfare AND end the Federal Reserve and let the chips fall where they may?

I'd go for that. Is it ever going to happen? Not until the rest of the world makes it happen and they will.
To return to gold and silver backing of the dollar quickly would most likely put us into a deep depression. To do it slowly may not. To remove the Federal Reserve Fiat Currency private owners and put the ownership into the hands of the people and create United States Notes or whatever they want to call it with responsible people running it would cut dets from my understanding and unlike the owners of the Federal Reserve, eliminate the middleman. However, to do so we would need the owners of most of the financial world to agree to it in a peaceable way. That is not their history as they finance wars and such. They could and most likely would put the world into the worst economic time since the dark ages. Even if we did all of this, there is still not perfection. Perhaps the financiers who are part of the globalists believe a world government will make most prosper. That is not the way of world history though.

Forum List

Back