Confirmed: Fracking responsible for earthquakes in Oklahoma

The speculation is over, and revealing e-mails disclose that oil and gas millionaire
Harold Hamm has been trying to keep the fact that fracking may be responsible, under wraps.

Is it worth it?

Confirmed: Oklahoma Earthquakes Caused By Fracking

Despite the enormous increase in earthquakes in Oklahoma that started at the same time as heavy fracking began there—with the number of earthquakes over 3.0 magnitude skyrocketing from an average of less than two a year to 585 last year—the state has been in official denial about the cause.

oklahoma650.jpg

Now the state has not only admitted that the injection into deep underground wells of fluid byproducts from drilling operations is behind the quakes, but it put up a website titledEarthquakes in Oklahoma that is a “one-stop source for information on earthquakes in Oklahoma.” The site includes an interactive map that displays the dramatic change not only in the number of earthquakes but in their distribution. Instead of a scattering around the state, they’re clustered heavily in areas where drilling operations are disposing of fracking wastewater.

The new website says, in a post dated April 21, “The Oklahoma Geological Survey announced today the majority of recent earthquakes in central and north-central Oklahoma are likely triggered by the injection of produced water in disposal wells.”

Confirmed Oklahoma Earthquakes Caused By Fracking EcoWatch

Hillary Clinton’s emails aren’t the only ones making news, at least not in Oklahoma. A trove of emails were released by the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS), which regulates the state’s oil and gas industries, in response to public records requests from news outlets such as Bloombergand EnergyWire. They appear to reveal that oil and gas billionaire Harold Hamm, known as the founding father of the U.S. fracking boom, inserted himself into the conversation about whether fracking was causing a dramatic upsurge in earthquakes in the state.

“Holland had been studying possible links between a rise in seismic activity in Oklahoma and the rapid increase in oil and gas production, the state’s largest industry,” wrote Bloomberg reporters Benjamin Elgin and Matthew Phillips. “Hamm requested that Holland be careful when publicly discussing the possible connection between oil and gas operations and a big jump in the number of earthquakes, which geological researchers were increasingly tying to the underground disposal of oil and gas wastewater, a byproduct of the fracking boom that Continental has helped pioneer.”

“It was just a little bit intimidating,” said Holland. When he emailed a colleague that he had been summoned to have “coffee” with Boren and Hamm, she replied, “Gosh, I guess that’s better than having Kool-Aid with them. I guess.”

Oil and Gas Billionaire Pressured Oklahoma Scientist to Ignore Fracking-Earthquake Link EcoWatch

Who cares. Back in the 1970's we were actively theorizing about the possibility of using fracking to reduce the pressure building up along major fault lines. The theory being that inducing thousands and thousands of small quakes would relive the pressure on the fault lines thus preventing large quakes like just Occurred in Nepal.

These quakes are so small that most people can't even feel them. Those that are felt cause no damage to speak of.
People can't feel them, really? I have a friend in Oklahoma who feels them. You don't know what you are talking about, and you are speaking for others when you are in no position to do so.

Yes, most people can't feel them. A magnitude 3.0 is detectable by someone laying in their bed and with no music on. A 3.5 can be detected by someone sitting down but most would think it a large truck passing by. The majority of quakes generated by fracking are 3.5 or less.
Blah, blah, blah...yada, yada, yada...You don't live there. You can't speak for others. You do not know what people feel or not. Grow up.

Oh piss off you silly little twerp. I presented you with facts. Facts that any geologist will confirm. The issue you have is they interfere with your irrational hatred of anything having to do with fracking, your unwillingness to learn even the basics of what's going on and your, reliance on juvenile emotion to color your arguments.

I suggest you do some growing up sweetie.

I kind of miss the nuclear explosions that they used to set off in the Nevada test site back in the 1980's. The blinds would rattle from the 4th floor up in the building where I worked in Las Vegas. The state made a big point to explain to us that this was really GOOD for Nevada.....

Who cares. Back in the 1970's we were actively theorizing about the possibility of using fracking to reduce the pressure building up along major fault lines. The theory being that inducing thousands and thousands of small quakes would relive the pressure on the fault lines thus preventing large quakes like just Occurred in Nepal.

These quakes are so small that most people can't even feel them. Those that are felt cause no damage to speak of.

I suppose the people in Oklahoma are going to begin to care. And I wouldn't consider a 5.6 magnitude one so small that people can't even feel them. I bet if it was in your state, close to where you live, you might care.

The largest-ever recorded quake in Oklahoma was caused by the injection of wastewater, a byproduct of oil extraction, into the ground, new research confirms.

On Nov. 6, 2011, a series of earthquakes, including a 5.6-magnitude temblor, struck the rural town of Prague, about 37 miles (60 kilometers) east of Oklahoma City, crumbling homes in the area and damaging a federal highway. The quake could be felt as far away as Milwaukee.
Oil Extraction Causes Biggest Recorded Earthquake in Oklahoma

I've lived through several that were magnitude 7 or above. Homes that are built well have no problem with magnitude 6 or below. The issue is quakes do occur in the central US, but they are so uncommon that the building codes don't reflect their existence.

The New Madrid quakes back in 1812 (magnitude 8.2+) made the Mississippi river flow backwards for three days, and when another one of those hits it will lay waste to whichever region it hits.

You were lucky. I was in California during the 1994 earthquake and it was felt 60 miles north.....it was a tad over 6. I was up beyond Palmdale and it woke me up, our bed felt like it was swinging from side to side. It did a lot of damage in the area where it happened. I have a scrapbook on all the horrible damage that it caused. People were killed.

We have no guarantee that the quakes in Oklahoma will remain small. I'm sure the people in Oklahoma are rethinking this, as they were in denial for quite a while.

Confirmed? So not confirmed then. Got it. Why is everything man does so evil to you liberals? Why not release a virus to kill us horrible humans off so your precious mother earth might survive. You psycho nut job. Confirmed my ass.

I kind of miss the nuclear explosions that they used to set off in the Nevada test site back in the 1980's. The blinds would rattle from the 4th floor up in the building where I worked in Las Vegas. The state made a big point to explain to us that this was really GOOD for Nevada.....

Ahhhh, yes. YOUR federal government at work. They also said to the downwinders that nothing bad would happen to them when the fallout hit them. Yep....the FEDERAL government sure does have a great history of lying to its people. That's for sure.

Confirmed? So not confirmed then. Got it. Why is everything man does so evil to you liberals? Why not release a virus to kill us horrible humans off so your precious mother earth might survive. You psycho nut job. Confirmed my ass.

Ok, your ass is confirmed!

Hey everyone

Walking across the street MIGHT get you killed. so knock it off. fly instead..:eusa_doh:

What an idiot. I guess if it happened where you live you might be singing a different tune....or not, you're too ignorant to know any better.

Listen up dear. I lived in Alaska for 15 years. the State that has the MOST earthquakes of even California. Went thought a 7.9 earthquake OMG and lived.

YOU?

Sorry to say......

She did, but in a brain dead state.

Loonies like you is what makes the Republican party appear so uninformed. Yes, it has been confirmed.....read the article if you are able to read.

And, the last time I checked, it was right-wingers that were whining about all the evils.....baking cakes, delivering flowers. And, you idiot, you live in this "precious mother earth" too - and yeah, we want to protect it from idiots like you that would destroy it in a minute for immediate gratification.

I suppose the people in Oklahoma are going to begin to care. And I wouldn't consider a 5.6 magnitude one so small that people can't even feel them. I bet if it was in your state, close to where you live, you might care.

The largest-ever recorded quake in Oklahoma was caused by the injection of wastewater, a byproduct of oil extraction, into the ground, new research confirms.

On Nov. 6, 2011, a series of earthquakes, including a 5.6-magnitude temblor, struck the rural town of Prague, about 37 miles (60 kilometers) east of Oklahoma City, crumbling homes in the area and damaging a federal highway. The quake could be felt as far away as Milwaukee.

I've lived through several that were magnitude 7 or above. Homes that are built well have no problem with magnitude 6 or below. The issue is quakes do occur in the central US, but they are so uncommon that the building codes don't reflect their existence.

The New Madrid quakes back in 1812 (magnitude 8.2+) made the Mississippi river flow backwards for three days, and when another one of those hits it will lay waste to whichever region it hits.

You were lucky. I was in California during the 1994 earthquake and it was felt 60 miles north.....it was a tad over 6. I was up beyond Palmdale and it woke me up, our bed felt like it was swinging from side to side. It did a lot of damage in the area where it happened. I have a scrapbook on all the horrible damage that it caused. People were killed.

We have no guarantee that the quakes in Oklahoma will remain small. I'm sure the people in Oklahoma are rethinking this, as they were in denial for quite a while.

I was 400 yards from the epicenter of the Northridge quake staying with a friend when the quake hit. I quite literally woke up in midair. I was also present for the 1972 Sylmar quake (about a mile from the epicenter) and was living part time in the Bay Area when the Loma Prieta quake hit. Trust me. I probably have more experience with earthquakes than you ever will.

Hey everyone

Walking across the street MIGHT get you killed. so knock it off. fly instead..:eusa_doh:

What an idiot. I guess if it happened where you live you might be singing a different tune....or not, you're too ignorant to know any better.

Listen up dear. I lived in Alaska for 15 years. the State that has the MOST earthquakes of even California. Went thought a 7.9 earthquake OMG and lived.

YOU?

Sorry to say......

She did, but in a brain dead state.

Don't project your condition on others......:D

Obviously you can't refute the topic so instead you make snarky remarks.......pity you.

Ahhhh, yes. YOUR federal government at work. They also said to the downwinders that nothing bad would happen to them when the fallout hit them. Yep....the FEDERAL government sure does have a great history of lying to its people. That's for sure.

Yeah. Thank God that private industry does not lie to us about things like that! They just have little accidents here and there. I understand that in another 100 or so years, the water near the oil rigs off of Louisiana will no longer be rainbow colored! Of course, Galveston beach is so saturated with oil tar that I think we should just give up on that...

I was 400 yards from the epicenter of the Northridge quake staying with a friend when the quake hit. I quite literally woke up in midair. I was also present for the 1972 Sylmar quake (about a mile from the epicenter) and was living part time in the Bay Area when the Loma Prieta quake hit. Trust me. I probably have more experience with earthquakes than you ever will.

Trust me....you can continue to have all the experiences you want with them......I don't consider that something to brag about, especially if you happen to be in an apartment that gets flattened out. But, that still doesn't make you an expert on fracking and the fact that it causes earthquakes.

Hey everyone

:cuckoo:

What a troll you've become

Oh, the irony, the irony.

is this the peace you're talking about? :lol:

What are you babbling about, you fucking idiot?

And now, back to the OP:

Confirmed: Fracking responsible for earthquakes in Oklahoma

The new website says, in a post dated April 21, “The Oklahoma Geological Survey announced today the majority of recent earthquakes in central and north-central Oklahoma are likely triggered by the injection of produced water in disposal wells.”

This water-injection is a confirmed by-product of fracking. Only idiots like you would not understand this, yurt. Now, back to your tonka toys.

you claimed it was peaceful while i supposedly was not on the board....yet...while i was gone and even now, you start shit. i don't expect a lying troll like you to understand. oh, and what about fracking?

“The primary suspected source of triggered seismicity is not from hydraulic fracturing but from the injection/disposal of water associated with oil and gas production,” the report from the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS) reads.

you're too stupid to realize the difference between the two.

Loonies like you is what makes the Republican party appear so uninformed. Yes, it has been confirmed.....read the article if you are able to read.

And, the last time I checked, it was right-wingers that were whining about all the evils.....baking cakes, delivering flowers. And, you idiot, you live in this "precious mother earth" too - and yeah, we want to protect it from idiots like you that would destroy it in a minute for immediate gratification.

So you are saying you are going to release a virus to kill all of us normal humans? That's pretty crazy man. You should rethink it.

Trust me....you can continue to have all the experiences you want with them......I don't consider that something to brag about, especially if you happen to be in an apartment that gets flattened out. But, that still doesn't make you an expert on fracking and the fact that it causes earthquakes.

again, you don't understand the issue. it is NOT the fracking, but the disposal. how is it you are so dumb?

Yeah. Thank God that private industry does lie to us about things like that! They just have little accidents here and there. I understand that in another 100 or so years, the water near the oil rigs off of Louisiana will no longer be rainbow colored! Of course, Galveston beach is so saturated with oil tar that I think we should just give up on that...

How many people has the Federal government harmed or killed in the last 75 years? Shall we start with the Tuskeegee syphilis experiments, and the Bay Area biological weapons wind patter testing that killed at least 10 people? I would hazard a guess that the Federal Government has been the cause of more deaths to the people of the US than business has.

wow, thank goodness you're here dear. Earthquakes are scary, but awesome at same time.... if you can appreciate it after you live though it.

again, you don't understand the issue. it is NOT the fracking, but the disposal. how is it you are so dumb?

Idiot....if there was no fracking there wouldn't be any need for disposal.....why are you so retarded?

No, you're correct. However my PhD in geology from Caltech probably gives me more than a passing acquaintance with the issues involved.

Forum List

Back