Common core standards--Something every parent should know

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
This was brought to my attention by my teacher niece. Common core standards that are being used in K thru 12--that appears to be dumbing down our prior school standards. About 45 states have adopted this standard, with a few states saying NO to it. Parents and caring teachers need to know about it and get involved immediately.

The below video (one thru 5) explains Common Core--the standards--how the federal government basically took over education in this country--in their one size fits all plan. If you care about your kids K-12 education these are a much watch video's. All together they take about 30-35 minutes to watch--very worthwhile and informative.

Here is the link watch 1 through 5 (Take 30 to 35 minutes out of your day to watch this.)

you can almost guarantee that any thread on common core will start out with falsehoods.
this one believes common core to be a product of the federal government.
i also wonder why people think that standards should vary from state to state? are kids in certain states just dumber and need lower standards - is that why we need something that isn't 'one size fits all'
and as for 'dumbing down' - standards are minimums. nothing wrong with going beyond them.

The shame of it is our school standards have been dumbed down ever since school integration became law. Way bank there in the mid-1950s. And BOY o BOY...has it ever worked wonders. We've turned out some of the dumbest damned people the world has ever seen. This next step, referred to as common core is the KILL SHOT.

It always sounds like there was a "golden age" of education in the United States. I just wonder what years that golden age took place?

It always sounds like there was a "golden age" of education in the United States. I just wonder what years that golden age took place?

I just told you.
So prior to the mid-1950's? Is that when you were in school?

I was in school from 1948 thru June, 1960 Grades 1 thru 12. 40 kids in the class room that studied Mathematics, History, Science, English, Spelling, Handwriting, Health, Physical Education. Average of 40 students in the class in Grades 1 thru 8 with ONE TEACHER for each grade. Nobody shot anybody, nobody beat the hell out of the teachers or other classmates. We SAT and we LEARNED all day every day. Trouble makers were few and far between. If someone acted up, they only did it ONCE and then they were gone.

I just told you.

I was in school from 1948 thru June, 1960 Grades 1 thru 12.
Kinda blows the theory that that was a golden age of education then

Yeah, I'll bet. For liberals such as yourself.

I just told you.

I was in school from 1948 thru June, 1960 Grades 1 thru 12. 40 kids in the class room that studied Mathematics, History, Science, English, Spelling, Handwriting, Health, Physical Education. Average of 40 students in the class in Grades 1 thru 8 with ONE TEACHER for each grade. Nobody shot anybody, nobody beat the hell out of the teachers or other classmates. We SAT and we LEARNED all day every day. Trouble makers were few and far between. If someone acted up, they only did it ONCE and then they were gone.
So is the golden age of education based on your school experience?

Never once did I refer to the golden age of education. But it was the LAST era when kids could attend school without fear for limb or life. And we ACTUALLY LEARNED what we were there to learn without the dumbed down subject matter to try to encourage those who do not want to be there disrupting class and beating the hell out of the experienced knowledgeable staff. Take it however you want....I moved my family out of the city of St. Louis in 1977 just to get them the hell out of that deteriorating nightmare.

So have we agreed to the years of the golden age of American education? Maybe there was no golden age?

So have we agreed to the years of the golden age of American education? Maybe there was no golden age?

Never heard it called the years of the GOLDEN AGE of American education except by a couple of liberals posting in this thread...but I kind of like it. I'll accept that.:beer:

Never once did I refer to the golden age of education. But it was the LAST era when kids could attend school without fear for limb or life. And we ACTUALLY LEARNED what we were there to learn without the dumbed down subject matter to try to encourage those who do not want to be there disrupting class and beating the hell out of the experienced knowledgeable staff. Take it however you want....I moved my family out of the city of St. Louis in 1977 just to get them the hell out of that deteriorating nightmare.
any statistical evidence to support the claim that schools were preparing a better educated society prior to desegregation?

Forum List

Back