No Child Left Behind Rewrite Should Limit Standardized Testing, Duncan Says

timslash

Dec 4, 2014
Buffalo. NY
No Child Left Behind Rewrite Should Limit Standardized Testing Duncan Says

After years of dancing around Congress to help states evade the No Child Left Behind Act, the Obama administration thinks it's time to go back to the legislative drawing board.

No Child Left Behind? How do you think, children which often write test with help of someone else's knowledges will become smarter now? Do you think that these reforms will let children to study better? Do you think that these reforms are really good? Do you think that this is just an attempt to improve the level of education? Or maybe this attempts will be done to divert our attention from more serious problems?

NCLB behind was a joke. Elements of it is practice is why I left the profession over 10 years ago. The focus was intended to make schools look good on paper despite a failure in the system to create an environment to educate people.

I taught AP classes. The district has pre-requisites in place for those wanting to take such classes. I would routinely get 30 - 35 in an AP Government class. I started checking and barely 50% met the pre-reqs for the class. When I approached the principal about it, he said it's more important for our school report card to have people enrolled in AP classes than it is to have them score high enough to get college credit.

No Child Left Behind Rewrite Should Limit Standardized Testing Duncan Says

After years of dancing around Congress to help states evade the No Child Left Behind Act, the Obama administration thinks it's time to go back to the legislative drawing board.

No Child Left Behind? How do you think, children which often write test with help of someone else's knowledges will become smarter now? Do you think that these reforms will let children to study better? Do you think that these reforms are really good? Do you think that this is just an attempt to improve the level of education? Or maybe this attempts will be done to divert our attention from more serious problems?
It should have been called NO CHILD ALLOWED AHEAD.

It geared the classroom to the lowest performing person in the class.

Feds need to get out of education, let the states manage it as they see fit.

NCLB behind was a joke. Elements of it is practice is why I left the profession over 10 years ago. The focus was intended to make schools look good on paper despite a failure in the system to create an environment to educate people.

I taught AP classes. The district has pre-requisites in place for those wanting to take such classes. I would routinely get 30 - 35 in an AP Government class. I started checking and barely 50% met the pre-reqs for the class. When I approached the principal about it, he said it's more important for our school report card to have people enrolled in AP classes than it is to have them score high enough to get college credit.
I've seen everything from reading the tests to Special Ed kids, to give the answers while reading to Special Ed kids, to teachers copying the tests and getting away with it.

There should be one test, whether or not a High School grad can perform well enough to get a job.

Most today cannot, an the solution is NOT two free years of remedial community college in order to teach what a sixth grader knew in 1960.

I've seen everything from reading the tests to Special Ed kids, to give the answers while reading to Special Ed kids, to teachers copying the tests and getting away with it.

There should be one test, whether or not a High School grad can perform well enough to get a job.

Most today cannot, an the solution is NOT two free years of remedial community college in order to teach what a sixth grader knew in 1960.

One of the classes I taught was Industrial Technology. It was the modern day equivalent to the old shop classes. I was able to teach it under state guidelines because I held a general contrator's license. Becuase it involved technology, it involved the need for higher level math skills., as just one example, for some of the curriculum. The curriculum was set by the State not up to me. Guidance had a history of using such classes as a dumping ground, often putting students with significant learning disabilities, including math, in those classes. The last year of three that I taught it, there was a student that had very low math skills and as a result, couldn't do the assignments. While it was my job to assist the best I could, I was not going to make it a giveaway class to him. His Special Ed teacher wondered why he was put in such a class and all guidance could say is "they had to put him somewhere".

One of the goals of No Child Left Behind was for every child to reach what was called "proficiency." Proficiency was loosely defined as doing grade B level work. A very large percentage of students in public schools cannot perform at that level. It does not matter how hard they study. It does not matter how well they're taught. They just can't do it.

No Child Left Behind was also supposed to erase, or at least greatly reduce, the race gap in academic performance. It could not reach this goal because some races have higher average IQ's than others.

I am glad that No Child Left Behind has President George W. Bush's fingerprints all over it. Otherwise it would be seen as one more failed government spending program by tax and spend Democrats.

The benefit of No Child Left Behind is that it provides fresh, public, and graphic evidence of what Charles Murray and others of his persuasion have been saying for decades. Some people are intrinsically superior to others. Some races are intrinsically superior to others.

Unfortunately, many people have still not learned the lesson to be learned from the failure of No Child Left Behind. There is still talk about how to fix "our broken schools" and so on.

When it comes to education the GOP really has no idea what it wants other than... well, they want more "accountability"... now kids are tested ad nauseam. Then they want less pay even for good teachers. Other than that, they want to whine

Forum List

Back