Common core standards--Something every parent should know

All high school students are not capable of algebra or geometry. Some are not capable of punctuation. We too often assume that students are like interchangeable parts on a machine. The sad thing is that for every student with an IQ over 100 there is another student with an IQ under 100. At one time students that could not compete were dropped or encouraged to drop, but today most school try to keep them and have a meaningful program for them; not so at one time.

All high school students are not capable of algebra or geometry. Some are not capable of punctuation. We too often assume that students are like interchangeable parts on a machine. The sad thing is that for every student with an IQ over 100 there is another student with an IQ under 100. At one time students that could not compete were dropped or encouraged to drop, but today most school try to keep them and have a meaningful program for them; not so at one time.
Most high schools today that I know of are pushing algebra and geometry on everyone. Many of the math techniques being taught because of common core are suppose to prepare students to conceptualize the math used in algebra and geometry.

Most high schools today that I know of are pushing algebra and geometry on everyone. Many of the math techniques being taught because of common core are suppose to prepare students to conceptualize the math used in algebra and geometry.

Are you suggesting that math should not be "pushed" on high school students?

I'm suggesting that students should not be pushed into certain types of math before they are ready. And even more importantly, those students that are not ready for the more advanced math should not be grouped in classes taking the more advanced math with the students that are ready. Both groups of students suffer when this happens.

It always sounds like there was a "golden age" of education in the United States. I just wonder what years that golden age took place?

I just told you.
So prior to the mid-1950's? Is that when you were in school?

I was in school from 1948 thru June, 1960 Grades 1 thru 12.
Kinda blows the theory that that was a golden age of education then

Yeah, I'll bet. For liberals such as yourself.
Considering the innovations coming from a younger generation and not the octogenarians generation, I'd say you are wrong....

I'm suggesting that students should not be pushed into certain types of math before they are ready. And even more importantly, those students that are not ready for the more advanced math should not be grouped in classes taking the more advanced math with the students that are ready. Both groups of students suffer when this happens.

I can't speak for the Math Department at my school...but in English classes that's pretty rare. Sure kids are going to have different strengths, weaknesses, learning types, be at different levels of the material, etc. There's simply no getting around, unless you want a massive school with a minimal amount of students in a classroom, and spend a lot more money on the school.

There are regular, honors, and AP available. That does a pretty good job at sorting out different abilities (and an even better job at sorting out behavioral issues). There's also lower level classes for the students who need more time learning the material and a more individualized level (class sizes are a lot less smaller in these cases, or there's more than one teacher). These are typically known as "ESE". Students could also have an IEP in any class. This allows students who're lower level (or even students who are high level but have a learning disability) to have more resources to learn what they need to learn--and for the higher level students not to be slowed down.

Last edited:
The only way I could conceptualize was when I had an missile electronics course in da military...Until then I just used the metric system to convert fractions for easier calculating...

Perhaps the golden age of education was until the middle Forties. Towards the end of WWII America had developed a new problem, Juvenile delinquency. Until then schools simply dropped those students not behaving correctly or unable to do high school work.
Dropout rates were high, some schools as high as 75%, As juvenile delinquency began to be a problem school were urged to keep kids in school. Still students dropped so standards were eased for graduation and things made easier. We are still in the keep em in school mode.

Forum List

Back