Common core standards--Something every parent should know

Right from your description, I can immediately discount anything that video has to say.

The federal government has nothing at all to do with Common Core.
Except funding grants to encourage common core. :rolleyes-41:

How much is the federal government involved in the Common Core school standards PolitiFact Wisconsin

Federal involvement

PolitiFact Florida also addressed the second part of Pope’s claim -- that federal officials "do not have their fingerprints" on Common Core. Our colleagues found that, although Common Core is voluntary for states to adopt, the federal government has had a role in encouraging them to adopt the standards.

To get grants from Race to the Top -- Obama’s signature education program -- or waivers from the mandates of No Child Left Behind -- an education reform law adopted under President George W. Bush -- states have to prove they have standards to prepare students for college and work. They don’t have to adopt the Common Core Standards, but that works as one way to qualify for grants or waivers.

There was a rush by states to adopt Common Core by August 2010 because establishing standards won them points in the competition for a share of the billions in Race to the Top grants.

Tom McCarthy, a spokesman for Pope, acknowledged "there really wasn’t a credible alternative to Common Core" at the time.

So, the federal government didn’t force Common Core on the states, but it did create incentives for states to adopt the standards.

Right from your description, I can immediately discount anything that video has to say.

The federal government has nothing at all to do with Common Core.
Except funding grants to encourage common core. :rolleyes-41:
again, not a true statement.
common core met standards for grants, but the grants were not solely for common core. other educational standards could be adopted.

It always sounds like there was a "golden age" of education in the United States. I just wonder what years that golden age took place?

I just told you.
So prior to the mid-1950's? Is that when you were in school?

I was in school from 1948 thru June, 1960 Grades 1 thru 12. 40 kids in the class room that studied Mathematics, History, Science, English, Spelling, Handwriting, Health, Physical Education. Average of 40 students in the class in Grades 1 thru 8 with ONE TEACHER for each grade. Nobody shot anybody, nobody beat the hell out of the teachers or other classmates. We SAT and we LEARNED all day every day. Trouble makers were few and far between. If someone acted up, they only did it ONCE and then they were gone.
Schools can't do that anymore. Parents would sue.

I was in school from 1948 thru June, 1960 Grades 1 thru 12. 40 kids in the class room that studied Mathematics, History, Science, English, Spelling, Handwriting, Health, Physical Education. Average of 40 students in the class in Grades 1 thru 8 with ONE TEACHER for each grade. Nobody shot anybody, nobody beat the hell out of the teachers or other classmates. We SAT and we LEARNED all day every day. Trouble makers were few and far between. If someone acted up, they only did it ONCE and then they were gone.
Schools can't do that anymore. Parents would sue.

Or the government would sue. Of course you have to consider the quality (lack of) of today's school boards, administrators and TEACHERS particularly in the city school systems.

any statistical evidence to support the claim that schools were preparing a better educated society prior to desegregation?

Yes...yesteryear's Negro community.
And the statistical evidence is...

Shiiiiiit...you gotta be kidding. Tell me you are kidding. If you are not...then your education is from the St. Louis city school system, and you're one of those brilliant trouble making bastards.

So is the golden age of education based on your school experience?

Never once did I refer to the golden age of education. But it was the LAST era when kids could attend school without fear for limb or life. And we ACTUALLY LEARNED what we were there to learn without the dumbed down subject matter to try to encourage those who do not want to be there disrupting class and beating the hell out of the experienced knowledgeable staff. Take it however you want....I moved my family out of the city of St. Louis in 1977 just to get them the hell out of that deteriorating nightmare.
any statistical evidence to support the claim that schools were preparing a better educated society prior to desegregation?
Educators are always trying new methods to improve education. Method after method has been tried, probably the most recognizable is Dewey's "Progressive Education," the list seems endless. I just suggested the Golden Age on these boards because I wondered if anyone wanted to try their hand at giving us a period when education worked as well as people thought.

Shiiiiiit...you gotta be kidding. Tell me you are kidding. If you are not...then your education is from the St. Louis city school system, and you're one of those brilliant trouble making bastards.
So you aren't able to provide any facts or figures.
Do you have anything other than anecdotes?

It always sounds like there was a "golden age" of education in the United States. I just wonder what years that golden age took place?

I just told you.

Hell, where I went to school, 90% of the sixth graders later graduated from college.

Of course, we didn't have any "Democrats".

So is the golden age of education based on your school experience?

Never once did I refer to the golden age of education. But it was the LAST era when kids could attend school without fear for limb or life. And we ACTUALLY LEARNED what we were there to learn without the dumbed down subject matter to try to encourage those who do not want to be there disrupting class and beating the hell out of the experienced knowledgeable staff. Take it however you want....I moved my family out of the city of St. Louis in 1977 just to get them the hell out of that deteriorating nightmare.
Educators are always trying new methods to improve education. Method after method has been tried, probably the most recognizable is Dewey's "Progressive Education," the list seems endless. I just suggested the Golden Age on these boards because I wondered if anyone wanted to try their hand at giving us a period when education worked as well as people thought.

Which all leads back to integration and the dumbing down of our curriculum to oblige "no child left behind" (read that no black child left behind) and the home preparation by grandma Jones who seems to be the ONLY PARENT of little bazeem, achmed and a'freeda.

Last edited:

Yeah, read post 33.

Yeah, read post 33.
Again, you are just providing anecdotal evidence. Do you have any quantitative data to back your claim of better schools in the 50's?

Yeah, read post 33.
Again, you are just providing anecdotal evidence. Do you have any quantitative data to back your claim of better schools in the 50's?[/QUOTE]

Again, you'll just have to take my word for it buddy boy. Better still, see if you can find any links verifying what I stated in post 33. If you do, you'll just claim that it's anecdotal. So, once again you'll just have to take my word for it. I was there in the 50s and 60s...were you? So what you want to hear doesn't exist because of the main stream media not doing their jobs and reporting news like it actually happens. That is...CONCERNING ANYTHING NEGRO.

Still and all..... What's wrong with each state deciding how their education system should run? Seems to me that one of Common Core's biggest goals is that all states will be on the same level as another state's grade level so if a student moves to another state he won't be behind.

Still and all..... What's wrong with each state deciding how their education system should run? Seems to me that one of Common Core's biggest goals is that all states will be on the same level as another state's grade level so if a student moves to another state he won't be behind.

EXactly what liberals desire.

Kozol said something like, If I walk a few blocks in your neighborhood I can tell you what kind of schools you have.

I just told you.

Did all the high school kids have to take algebra and geometry to graduate, or was there a general math track?

Forum List

Back