Commercial Drones

Why would a jet aircraft be flying at that altitude?

Do you have any experience with remote controlled aircraft? They can fly as far as the fuel allows in any direction until the fuel runs out or it hits something. And the rotors on the large helicopters could be deadly if they should come loose. And who knows what contraption a person could be building in their garage right now?

Do you have any experience with remote controlled aircraft? They can fly as far as the fuel allows in any direction until the fuel runs out or it hits something. And the rotors on the large helicopters could be deadly if they should come loose. And who knows what contraption a person could be building in their garage right now?

A commercial drone would not fly off at random. If it lost communications it would be programmed with an automatic "return to base"

For all the members here who are big into Science and new technology...
What will you say when one of these fall from the sky overloaded with stuff.

Takeoff or landing and some idiot will take a shortcut.

Those are usually no fly zones for small aircraft
Which are regularly ignored. If you ever come to FL take one of the Canaveral tours you will get an earful on the subject. DOD shuttle flights were transferred to Edwards early on for idiots flying into no fly zones. At Edwards enforcement put the emphasis on force and it worked. The shoot down zone at the Cape was never utilized and it was violated but not officially. The exact number of violations caught on camera by tourists is in dispute because some of the cases predate time/date recordings on the film and official triangulation figures were disputed. "Cecil Field, Space Port?" should lead to several thousands of pages on the subject if you decide to google it.

I wonder when the first drone goes haywire and is sucked into a jet engine with tragic results?

It will be a long time from now because the FAA hasn't given approval for commercial drones to fly and hobbyists can't fly above 400 feet or something like that. Drones would have to be gas powered because I don't think electric drones will be able to be commercially viable.

They will have to figure out insurance and I'm sure it is going to be high.
I don't think it is a good idea for a device to fly blindly. Someone is going to have to have visual flight controls and even the military are already crashing theirs:

Drone crashes mount at civilian airports overseas - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back