CNN Arizona debate thread

Let's try to keep it real, oh and civil

Ron Paul took Santorum's voting record and stapled it to his forehead. RESULT--Santorum is TOAST--and Newt Gingrich moves in to challenge Romney for the nomination--making a 3rd historic comeback.

Ron Paul had a great debate tonight--but he is still weak on foreign policy.

Newt Gingrich won this debate.

Again, Santorum's record is significantly superior to Newt's in that regard. Why on earth do you think that conservatives are going to be turned off by any big government problems in Santorum's record and move to Newt who has a larger big government problem?

If there is a real and credible threat to our nations security then Ron Paul would protect this nation and he would do it with the full might of the military. He has said he would get in and get the job done and then get out. If such a threat exists then it shouldn't be hard to present evidence and put it to a vote in congress. Fully committing to war is the path to victory. The reason we have such a hard time winning these conflicts is because of the half assed way we go about them. Why are we paying to rebuild these countries? They should be paying us reparations for their crimes against us. In order for that to happen we have to have proof of crimes and frankly we don't have proof of that for any of the wars we have engaged in except in WWII when we were attacked.

As a country we will gain more respect from acting out of a morally superior position. You can't buy respect, you have to earn it. No amount of foreign aid is going to help our image as long as we continue to push everyone around with impunity. In fact it is insulting to the countries we are attempting to buy off and I am sure that just adds to our image of arrogance. Especially since it mostly goes to dictators who suppress their people.

Last edited:
Q: Are you going to answer the question?

Romney: You get to ask the questions you want, I get to give the answers I want.

An emerging GOP theme (and, imho, a valid one) is taking on the press/media itself. The bias the media exhibits is all too clear. Make their bias an issue. I think we're starting to see it.

Good. It's healthy.

People do not trust politicians. But the American people do not trust the media, either. For good reason.

"emerging GOP theme"? Are you old enough to remember VP Agnew and his attacks on the press?

Just finished watching the debate on our DVR.

Newt reminded us again why he is still in it. No gaffes, no missteps tonight.
Romney and Santorum both seemed less prepared than usual and them throwing stones at each other is a major turn off. Neither had a fatal mistake, however, though I think Santorum missed a couple of good opportunities to make a good pointl. Ron Paul was himself and as he described himself in the one word description: consistent.

Nothing earth shattering. Nothing disastrous tonight. Nothing that is likely to swing many votes.

And any one of the four will make a better President than what we have.

California Girl - isn't there something to be said for not borrowing money from the bank to "give to charity?" I'm all for helping our fellow citizens of the world...but if we don't have any money, we don't have any money...shouldn't we make sure we are covering the necessities in the U.S. before we spend the massive amounts of money we spend overseas?

Why is it heartless to ask such questions?

It is not that it's heartless. It's that it ignores the fact that we are all inter-connected. It also ignores what is necessary to conduct a reasonable foreign policy.

And we aren't broke. You just can't conduct two wars while cutting taxes. Bush was the only leader in world history to do so and it's time for people to stop protecting those cuts.... just like it's time to raise the age for social security a bit.

problem solved.

Why does CG disrespect the office of the President. So infantile.

I respect the office.... not the man. He lost my respect the day he called me 'the enemy' simply because my political views are different to his. He disrespects the office, not me. He disrespects Americans.
Were you his enemy from the get go? Were republicans his enemy from the second he won the election...from day one as they touted?

If you were not one of the republicans treating our President as an enemy from the second he took office as MANY in congress were and vowed to go against him on everything he tried to do...then Obama never said YOU were the enemy dear....

all I ever hear from all republicans is that "liberals" are the enemy...liberals are the ills to all wrongs...the world would be rosy and peachy keen if it were not for liberals/democrats...

It's pretty disgusting and infantile at the same time imo...but hey, to each his own....whatever make the children feel "better" about the "faulty" self I suppose....just blame the other guy..... "the enemy", liberals.....rather than doing a true self evaluation.....of themselves and their own party.

what you complain about Obama saying about the rear ends in Congress that have fought him tooth and nail from before he even began as President, your side of the aisle, the right side of the aisle has been calling all liberals for the past 20 years now, the enemy.....yet that is all honky dory with you and other republicans??? That makes no sense to me CG, none....

Ron Paul.... foreign aid is absolutely fucking vital to some of the world's most vulnerable people. Heartless bastard is not a trait I respect in a politician.

Please. Most of the people who get our foreign aid are not starving children wherever they are starving this year.

After Iraq, the Top recipiant is Israel. We're propping up Zionism so Jesus can come back.

the next top recipiant is Egypt, which is being bribed to play nice with Israel. Jordan is up there, too.

Also up there are Columbia and Bolivia. Not because they are "poor" as in they produce drugs that flood our streets.

Top Recipients of U.S. Foreign Aid - Top Foreign Aid Recipients

Ron Paul is an idiot.

He threw rocks at congress. HE'S PART OF CONGRESS!

Yeah, he's that "part of Congress" they nicknamed Dr. No. Whenever the vote is 434-1, you can find him bucking the system. He's been doing it for years, and it's a damned shame nobody else has listened to him up to this point.

Ron Paul is an idiot.

Yeah, he's that "part of Congress" they nicknamed Dr. No. Whenever the vote is 434-1, you can find him bucking the system. He's been doing it for years, and it's a damned shame nobody else has listened to him up to this point.

Like I said the man is an idiot. You should try talking to him one and one. Talk about batshit crazy.... he is that!

Ron Paul is an idiot.

Like I said the man is an idiot. You should try talking to him one and one. Talk about batshit crazy.... he is that!

You're entitled to your opinion, right, wrong or indifferent. Congress approval at 9%, though. Good target for rocks, IMHO.

You're entitled to your opinion, right, wrong or indifferent. Congress approval at 9%, though. Good target for rocks, IMHO.

9 percent approval and your guy is right in the middle of it.

He's part of the problem and has been since 1996. Well actuually before that in 1979 when he first served as Rep.

So he's throwing rocks at himself which further proves he's an idiot.

Last edited:

9 percent approval and your guy is right in the middle of it.

He's part of the problem and has been since 1996. Well actuually before that in 1979 when he first served as Rep.

So he's throwing rocks at himself which further proves he's an idiot.

Once again that's your opinion. His constituents seem to think he's doing a good job in representing them, therefore they keep re-electing them.

Your logic escapes me, though. If Congress overall approval rating is 9%, and a member of Congress spends his entire career going AGAINST the status quo, how does that member deserve the slings and arrows lofted towards Congress in general?

In short, he doesn't.

Ron Paul is an idiot.

Yeah..he "bucks" the system alright. As in larding bills with pork and then not voting for them.

He knows they will pass..and he still gets to look clean.

Ron Paul is an idiot.

Yeah..he "bucks" the system alright. As in larding bills with pork and then not voting for them.

Is it your contention that his constituents have less right to their own money because their Rep has principles?

Is it your contention that his constituents have less right to their own money because their Rep has principles?
So WHO won the debate?

The point is Paul gets the pork also.

Forum List

Back