CNBC: Trump is showing he 'actually wants' a trade deal with China, Stanford expert says

NightFox

Wildling
Jul 20, 2013
North beyond the Wall
Source: CNBC.COM
Trump is showing he 'actually wants' a trade deal with China, Stanford expert says

"Despite ramping up his complaints about Beijing and lobbing new threats of additional tariffs on Chinese imports, U.S. President Donald Trump wants to seal a trade deal with China, according to one expert.

Trump's Thursday Twitter post is evidence of that, Lanhee Chen, a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, told CNBC on Friday. In fact, he said, the tweet — about a "long and very good conversation" with China's president — is one of several "smoke signals" that show the White House truly hopes to resolve its ongoing dispute with the world's second-largest economy.

"I tend to think that the president actually wants to get to a deal on China at some point," Chen told CNBC's "Squawk Box."

Beyond the Twitter post, Chen pointed to the White House playing up Trump's meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G-20 summit in Buenos Aires later this month. In fact, the U.S. leader highlighted that summit in his recent tweet, saying trade discussions "are moving along nicely" ahead of the planned face-to-face meetings."

A ray of hope on the U.S.-China Trade spat, hopefully this portends progress in finalizing a deal and putting this dispute to rest. I don't like the tactics Donny used on this one but if his Administration can manage to resolve some of the most egregious trade practices the Chinese have been employing then he'll deserve A LOT of credit.

Eyes on the G-20 and fingers crossed.

"As a rich man is likely to be a better customer to the industrious people in his neighbourhood than a poor, so is likewise a rich nation. Trade restrictions, by aiming at the impoverishment of all our neighbours, tend to render that very commerce insignificant and contemptible." -- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

I tend to think that the president actually wants to get to a deal on China at some point," Chen told CNBC's "Squawk Box."

I believe Trump should trade with China. But his point has been that China has been awry and not doing their fair share of the trade for years now. We have been screwed by China for so long, and Trump believes that the tariffs were the answer, so he was sending a message to China - NO MORE! You either trade fairly with us, or we won't deal with you no more.

Not Trump. There is no trade deal with China. Trump was lying.

Trump is showing he 'actually wants' a trade deal with China, Stanford expert says

"Despite ramping up his complaints about Beijing and lobbing new threats of additional tariffs on Chinese imports, U.S. President Donald Trump wants to seal a trade deal with China, according to one expert.

Trump's Thursday Twitter post is evidence of that, Lanhee Chen, a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, told CNBC on Friday. In fact, he said, the tweet — about a "long and very good conversation" with China's president — is one of several "smoke signals" that show the White House truly hopes to resolve its ongoing dispute with the world's second-largest economy.

"I tend to think that the president actually wants to get to a deal on China at some point," Chen told CNBC's "Squawk Box."

Beyond the Twitter post, Chen pointed to the White House playing up Trump's meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G-20 summit in Buenos Aires later this month. In fact, the U.S. leader highlighted that summit in his recent tweet, saying trade discussions "are moving along nicely" ahead of the planned face-to-face meetings."

A ray of hope on the U.S.-China Trade spat, hopefully this portends progress in finalizing a deal and putting this dispute to rest. I don't like the tactics Donny used on this one but if his Administration can manage to resolve some of the most egregious trade practices the Chinese have been employing then he'll deserve A LOT of credit.

"As a rich man is likely to be a better customer to the industrious people in his neighbourhood than a poor, so is likewise a rich nation. Trade restrictions, by aiming at the impoverishment of all our neighbours, tend to render that very commerce insignificant and contemptible." -- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations

I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Jesus Christ

Short of genius a rich man cannot even imagine poverty. Charles Peguy

The only way for a rich man to be healthy is by exercise and abstinence, to live as if he were poor. William Temple

I tend to think that the president actually wants to get to a deal on China at some point," Chen told CNBC's "Squawk Box."

I believe Trump should trade with China. But his point has been that China has been awry and not doing their fair share of the trade for years now. We have been screwed by China for so long, and Trump believes that the tariffs were the answer, so he was sending a message to China - NO MORE! You either trade fairly with us, or we won't deal with you no more.

I agree with Trump regarding many of the problems he's been complaining about regarding the U.S. trade relationship with China, however I never agreed and still do not agree that Tariffs are the answer. The end result of Tariffs amount to additional taxes on U.S. Consumers but more importantly they carry an enormous opportunity cost with respect to wealth creation on both sides of the equation. IMHO negotiations and WTO action (even if protracted) and incremental agreements would have been a more productive and less risky approach.

That being said, if the Trump Administration can get this spat resolved in short order and resolve even a portion of the problems his Administration will have achieved something worthy of much praise.

"Get 'er done"

however I never agreed and still do not agree that Tariffs are the answer

I am sure Trump will be gladly to send China the bill later. It will ease the taxpayers. Lol

But seriously, you are correct. I wasn't for the tariffs either. But since China has been backstabbing us in the back for so long, I believe this is just a short-term solution. I could be wrong.

I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Jesus Christ
ROFLMAO! why am I not surprised that you don't understand what Smith was saying by that quote and instead exhibited the typical left wing Pavlovian response to the word "rich"?

Thanks for the laugh.

Are you referring to Trump or Xi? because it's been Xi that's been displaying far more of a "thick skull" during the course of this dispute.
`
Seems to be repetitious here, members of the right playing dumb. If you'd actually READ the article, it says this; "According to Bloomberg, US President Donald Trump has asked key officials to begin drafting potential terms of a trade agreement with China. Trump is said to be interested in reaching an agreement on trade with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 summit in Argentina at the end of the month."

Let me explain that so you don't get confused again. trump started the process, Xi, agreed with it. This tariff wasn't working for either side. So, we are back to ground zero.
`
`

Are you referring to Trump or Xi? because it's been Xi that's been displaying far more of a "thick skull" during the course of this dispute.
`
Seems to be repetitious here, members of the right playing dumb. If you'd actually READ the article, it says this; "According to Bloomberg, US President Donald Trump has asked key officials to begin drafting potential terms of a trade agreement with China. Trump is said to be interested in reaching an agreement on trade with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 summit in Argentina at the end of the month."

Let me explain that so you don't get confused again. trump started the process, Xi, agreed with it. This tariff wasn't working for either side. So, we are back to ground zero.
`
`

LOL, thank you Captain Arrogance but apparently you haven't been following the details of this spat from the beginning unfortunately for your [attempt at] formulating an argument I have. The fact that Xi has stubbornly refused to negotiate in good faith on even the most egregious practices that China has been employing for decades (e.g. IP theft) and that he has insisted that China wouldn't relent in the face of U.S. pressure (which is what begat the tit for tat tariff regime in the first place) even though Xi has nearly zero political risk indicates that in a stubbornness contest he has President Twitter beat by a good distance.

… now feel free to continue with your inept analysis.

Of course Trump wants a trade deal with China. That's what this has always been about.

The phrase "actually wants" was directed at those political opponents of The Presidents trade policy that have been questioning his sincerity all along. Those of us that have been paying attention never doubted that he wanted a deal all along, some of us have just questioned his methods for achieving it. ;)

Not even close. It was Trump that said he was going to slap a tariff on every remaining product from China just in time for Christmas.

Trump talks shit in his tweets and pep rallies making it near impossible for any world leader to give even an inch, which is why the biggest change to NAFTA was the name

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Of course Trump wants a trade deal with China. That's what this has always been about.

The phrase "actually wants" was directed at those political opponents of The Presidents trade policy that have been questioning his sincerity all along. Those of us that have been paying attention never doubted that he wanted a deal all along, some of us have just questioned his methods for achieving it. ;)
His methods are playing hardball. It looks like they are working.

Not Trump. There is no trade deal with China. Trump was lying.
Rdean with another bullshit claim, I'm surprised he didn't bring race into this, like he does every post. Trump will get a trade deal with China that benefits us....and you can go back to sucking off Obama.

Not even close. It was Trump that said he was going to slap a tariff on every remaining product from China just in time for Christmas.

Trump talks shit in his tweets and pep rallies making it near impossible for any world leader to give even an inch, which is why the biggest change to NAFTA was the name

K, Thanks.

"When the superficial wearies me, it wearies me so much that I need an abyss in order to rest." -- Antonio Porchia, Voices

you have seen him slap tariffs on China several times on hundreds of billions of dollars worth? How many times do you have to repeat media talking points to want to stop being embarrassed? I mean the "He's not serious" line has been disproven thousands of times (Remember when they said "he wasn't serious about running for President".....

LOL, thank you Captain Arrogance but apparently you haven't been following the details of this spat from the beginning unfortunately for your [attempt at] formulating an argument I have. The fact that Xi has stubbornly refused to negotiate in good faith on even the most egregious practices that China has been employing for decades (e.g. IP theft) and that he has insisted that China wouldn't relent in the face of U.S. pressure (which is what begat the tit for tat tariff regime in the first place) even though Xi has nearly zero political risk indicates that in a stubbornness contest he has President Twitter beat by a good distance.… now feel free to continue with your inept analysis.
`
You are welcome to your opinion. Mine differs. End discussion.

Forum List

Back