Clinton, Boxer Want to Squash Conservative Radio Talk Shows

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SolarEnergy1, Jun 22, 2007.

1. SolarEnergy1

SolarEnergy1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barbara Boxer have big plans to rein in conservative radio talk shows, according to Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla.

He said Thursday on John Ziegler's evening radio show on KFI in L.A. that he overheard Clinton, D-N.Y., and Boxer, D-Calif., saying they want legislation to control conservative radio talk shows.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,285933,00.html

Oh those crazy liberals. They scream and shout over freedom of speech yet things like this go on? Why doesnt Clinton try to shut down Air America? oh yeah ,she doesnt have to they'll go bankrupt again ......

2. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

Hillary, Boxer miffed over Inhofe's radio claim
    By Kara Rowlan

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    June 23, 2007

A political spat involving talk radio emerged in Congress on the heels of a report this week critical of "conservative dominance" of the industry, whose credibility is being questioned separately.

Sen. James M. Inhofe, Oklahoma Republican, said he overheard two influential senators advocating a "legislative fix" for the influence of "extremist" talk-radio hosts.

Democratic Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barbara Boxer of California deny the conversation took place.

"This was on the elevator from the basement to the second floor of the Capitol to vote," Mr. Inhofe told The Washington Times yesterday. "They were upset about something, they hardly noticed I was even there.

"They were complaining about something they heard on talk radio. They said, 'This is just ridiculous — all these talk-radio shows, they're all for right-wing extremists. There ought to be a legislative fix to this,' " Mr. Inhofe said. "I said to them, 'You girls don't understand. Talk radio is all market-driven and there's no market for your liberal tripe.' "

Mr. Inhofe said the conversation took place about three years ago, but noted that he described it to a Los Angeles radio host yesterday as "the other day."

for complete article

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070623/BUSINESS/106230029/1001

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <blockquote>"Talk radio is running America. We have to deal with that problem." - Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)</blockquote>

You're forgetting the views of one of your own. Or are you just conveniently ignoring them?

4. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I have commented on his comments on the thread addressing Lott's comments. Talk radio stood by him when both sides were attacking him for a non racist comment at an old man birthday party

Libs have been wanting to silence conservatives for many years. Ever since Dead Air Amercia went bankrupt, libs have been trying to bring back the Unfairness Dontrine.

Since libs cannot compete with conservatives on the radio, they have no choice but to silence them

And I thought libs were for free speech

5. JeffWartman

JeffWartman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You shouldn't assume all Conservatives hold the same positions, just like I wouldn't assume that you and every Liberal agree on everything.

6. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Most libs do want to silence talk radio - and the internet will be next

7. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Where is the proof that Hillary said that? Do we have a video or audiotape of her saying that? Do we have a letter from her saying that she wants conservative radio regulated?

8. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Hillary, Boxer miffed over Inhofe's radio claim
    By Kara Rowlan

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    June 23, 2007

A political spat involving talk radio emerged in Congress on the heels of a report this week critical of "conservative dominance" of the industry, whose credibility is being questioned separately.

Sen. James M. Inhofe, Oklahoma Republican, said he overheard two influential senators advocating a "legislative fix" for the influence of "extremist" talk-radio hosts.

Democratic Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barbara Boxer of California deny the conversation took place.

"This was on the elevator from the basement to the second floor of the Capitol to vote," Mr. Inhofe told The Washington Times yesterday. "They were upset about something, they hardly noticed I was even there.

"They were complaining about something they heard on talk radio. They said, 'This is just ridiculous — all these talk-radio shows, they're all for right-wing extremists. There ought to be a legislative fix to this,' " Mr. Inhofe said. "I said to them, 'You girls don't understand. Talk radio is all market-driven and there's no market for your liberal tripe.' "

Mr. Inhofe said the conversation took place about three years ago, but noted that he described it to a Los Angeles radio host yesterday as "the other day."

for complete article

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...106230029/1001

Like a US Senator would walk around with a recording device

of course the fact Dems wabt to shut down consrtvative talk radio with the Unfairness Doctrine has nothing to do with the comments the Bombo Sisters made

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And neither James Inhoffe nor <i>The Washington Times</i> are the most objective, non-partisan or reliable resources either. How's about some objective, independent verification. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

10. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    I've got an idea, Bully. Why don't we keep an eye on the Fairness Twins, and see if their ACTIONS bear out Inhoffe's claim? I don't think we're going to have to wait long.

Just out of curiosity, what do YOU think should be done about conservative talk radio?