City Of Vancouver Votes To Go 100% Renewables

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
April 12th, 2015 by James Ayre
City Of Vancouver Votes To Go 100 Renewables CleanTechnica
The Canadian city of Vancouver in British Columbia recently became the first city in the country to aim for 100% renewable energy in the electricity sector — following on a unanimous decision/vote by the City Council there.

That vote — which took place on Wednesday, March 26 — explicitly makes it clear that the city’s leaders are in favor of eventually getting all of the city’s electricity needs met via renewable energy generation.

The recent decision by the city council there means that Vancouver is now amongst the company of Sydney, Australia; San Diego, California; San Francisco, California; Stockholm, Sweden; Munich, Germany; and others — all cities which have set aim on 100% renewables.

Despite the comments I made at the top of the article, it’s not just a goal aiming for 100% of electricity from renewable energy sources — but also a goal aiming for 100% of heating + cooling coming from renewable energy sources as well in this case. And, apparently, the city council has also directed staff to investigate the feasibility of transportation going 100% renewable. (Given the city and province’s apparent love of hydrogen vehicles, though, I wonder if they’re going to consider hydrogen cars to be in line with the goal of 100% renewables.)

Good news! I hope Eugene and Portland Oregon follow soon. ;)

What would those "renewables" be exactly? And where do San Fran, San Diego, Munich, Stockholm and Sydney stand in accomplishing their goal?

Hydro, wind, and solar. On down the line, geothermal. Oregon is a powerhouse in all four. Washington is in three. No reason that we cannot become totally independent of fossil fuels for electricity in both states.

Hydro, wind, and solar. On down the line, geothermal. Oregon is a powerhouse in all four. Washington is in three. No reason that we cannot become totally independent of fossil fuels for electricity in both states.

And the second part of the question...where do San Fran, San Diego, Munich, Stockholm and Sydney stand in accomplishing their goal? And can they use enough solar energy without frying the local bird population? We've always used "hydro" to generate electricity...the question is are there ENOUGH open rivers and streams in the western U.S. and Canada, to support those dams needed to generate electric power. Like in southern California, now in a 4 year long drought.

Last edited:
Ol' pig, you are dumb as a porker. Tell me, how does PV fry a bird. And right now, hydro and wind could power all of Oregon's needs, but we are sending most of it to California, justly, they bankrolled the projects.

April 12th, 2015 by James Ayre
City Of Vancouver Votes To Go 100 Renewables CleanTechnica
The Canadian city of Vancouver in British Columbia recently became the first city in the country to aim for 100% renewable energy in the electricity sector — following on a unanimous decision/vote by the City Council there.

That vote — which took place on Wednesday, March 26 — explicitly makes it clear that the city’s leaders are in favor of eventually getting all of the city’s electricity needs met via renewable energy generation.

The recent decision by the city council there means that Vancouver is now amongst the company of Sydney, Australia; San Diego, California; San Francisco, California; Stockholm, Sweden; Munich, Germany; and others — all cities which have set aim on 100% renewables.

Despite the comments I made at the top of the article, it’s not just a goal aiming for 100% of electricity from renewable energy sources — but also a goal aiming for 100% of heating + cooling coming from renewable energy sources as well in this case. And, apparently, the city council has also directed staff to investigate the feasibility of transportation going 100% renewable. (Given the city and province’s apparent love of hydrogen vehicles, though, I wonder if they’re going to consider hydrogen cars to be in line with the goal of 100% renewables.)

Good news! I hope Eugene and Portland Oregon follow soon. ;)
Yes, great news, thanks.

Forum List

Back