Church refuses to hold funeral for gay man

yes...i agree the family and the rest of the world should not judge the church

Perhaps the church should follow their own values about not judging before asking others who don't necessarily share them, to engage in those values as well.

Two issues:

Two, find a place that has no objection to performing services for homosexuals.

absolutely. there are a myriad of mainline protestant churches that would not have any problem in allowing such a funeral service. the family should not make a big deal out of this - unless, or course, the deceased asked them to.

There are tons of sins in the bible. What about gluttony? Does this church give fat people funerals? How about people who have sex outside marriage, and live with a boyfriend or girlfriend?

Being gay is barely even mentioned in the bible. Especially compared to other sins. I mean "gay" is not even ranked in the ten commandments. Working on the Sabbath is considered a graver sin that being gay. According to the ten commandments.

I don't think Jesus ever said a word about gays. There may be a couple passing references to it in the Jewish Old Testament, but it really doesn't rank up there with many other sins.

These people are homophobic. And bigoted. They're hiding behind the bible, to justify their own bigotry.

There are tons of sins in the bible. What about gluttony? Does this church give fat people funerals? How about people who have sex outside marriage, and live with a boyfriend or girlfriend?

Being gay is barely even mentioned in the bible. Especially compared to other sins. I mean "gay" is not even ranked in the ten commandments. Working on the Sabbath is considered a graver sin that being gay. According to the ten commandments.

I don't think Jesus ever said a word about gays. There may be a couple passing references to it in the Jewish Old Testament, but it really doesn't rank up there with many other sins.

These people are homophobic. And bigoted. They're hiding behind the bible, to justify their own bigotry.

What does it matter who the church will or won't give a funeral service for?

And everyone is bigotted ... your attack on this church is bigotry on your part ... and not considering homosexuality normal behavior does NOT require anyone to be homophobic. That's just a convenient, dismissive label used by homosexuals and those who support their agenda.

Because some of us care about that.

And everyone is bigotted ... your attack on this church is bigotry on your part

How exactly?

... and not considering homosexuality normal behavior does NOT require anyone to be homophobic. That's just a convenient, dismissive label used by homosexuals and those who support their agenda.

No, but acting on that and denying goods/services/whatever to people based on their homosexuality is homophobia. And yes its a dismissive label, I do tend to condescend towards stupid behavior.

Would you condemn gays if you were a Jewish Idol who preferred The Village (fisher) People rather than the God-bothering female groupies groping at your crotch from the front row at showtime?

What truly amazes me is why faggots would want these mendacious maggots to bless their partnerships and departures!

Indeed, why would a decent chest-clawing turd-indenter want anything to do with the Church full-stop? (a "period" is something else altogether!)

It just goes to prove the old Jesuit maxim, “Give me the boy and I will give you back the man!” is right on the money.

My kids know if they dare give me a “decent” burial, with Jewish witchdoctors in women’s clobber chanting over my pickled cadaver, I’ll come back and haunt them.

Death holds no fear for me.

Even God wouldn't be that much of a \!/ that he would infest Forever with American Fundies!! ;)

:lol:
my church not only condones and forgives gay members, they ordain gay clergy. I am sure that my pastor has no problem with it at all. And my church is the most rock solid of mainline protestant denominations.... there are congregational churches scattered all over new england.... .

WOW!!! all over New England!!! Thats alot!!! :lol:

That sounds rock solid!

It doesnt surprise me that you attend a church that believes its ok to suck cock tonight, as long as your sorry in the morning! I'm glad that's working out for you! But some how I dont think Jesus sees it that way...

no. I have never killed any children, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

I see what your saying... You didnt actually kill the babies.... Like, OBL didnt actually blow up the twin towers... Right!!!...

You, however, HAVE threatened to "rip my life apart" because of a disagreement on an internet chat site.... "devout" would obviously not apply to you and "spineless" certainly would.

yowza... what a crushing closing....I understand that I scare you, but thats just your cowardness showing as I've described to you in the past. Besides why would I harm you? Its much easier to irritate self rightious egotystical assholes like you from here without getting out of my chair...
besides you know the truth about the comment made in the heat of argument, and only bring it up after I've whooped your ass and you have yielded in defeat...
Ill take that as your concession speech..

One more thing... Who's the fat fuck behind the flag on your Avatar???

your sister ?

You forget about "judge not"?

Actually that quote from 1 Corinthians 5 would be applied to the apostate congregations who choose to accept such sinful acts and the unrepentant sinners. It's easy to take a sound bite and run with it, but when put in context, it is a warning to the Church not to accept sinful action, nor the unrepentant sinner into their company. Rather, the Church is to ostracize the unrepentant sinners (remove them from the congregations) and let God deal with them.

I'd recommend people read 1 Corinthians 5 focusing on verses 9 through 13 for the quote in context.

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 Darby said:
9 I have written to you in the epistle not to mix with fornicators;

10 not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the avaricious and rapacious, or idolaters, since [then] ye should go out of the world.

11 But now I have written to you, if any one called brother be fornicator, or avaricious, or idolater, or abusive, or a drunkard, or rapacious, not to mix with [him]; with such a one not even to eat.

12 For what have *I* [to do] with judging those outside also? *ye*, do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But those without God judges. Remove the wicked person from amongst yourselves.

WOW!!! all over New England!!! Thats alot!!! :lol:

That sounds rock solid!

It doesnt surprise me that you attend a church that believes its ok to suck cock tonight, as long as your sorry in the morning! I'm glad that's working out for you! But some how I dont think Jesus sees it that way...

I take it you have never heard of the denomination known as the United Church of Christ? Why am I not surprised? Here is a little bit about us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Church_of_Christ

I see what your saying... You didnt actually kill the babies.... Like, OBL didnt actually blow up the twin towers... Right!!!...

Kinda like not actually killing all liberals for the crime of thinking something differently than you do, but advocating it?

For my part, I reluctantly support a woman's right to chose, simply because I find the idea of government involvment in such an issue even more repugnant. I have never advocated killing babies and I certainly have never killed any.

yowza... what a crushing closing....I understand that I scare you, but thats just your cowardness [cowadice] showing as I've described to you in the past. Besides why would I harm you? Its much easier to irritate self rightious [righteous] egotystical [egotistical] assholes like you from here without getting out of my chair...
besides you know the truth about the comment made in the heat of argument, and only bring it up after I've whooped your ass and you have yielded in defeat...
Ill take that as your concession speech..

One more thing... Who's the fat fuck behind the flag on your Avatar???

your sister ?

You don't scare me. It is sad, however, to imagine an America filled with such hateful and vindictive and erratic people as you. "In the heat of the argument"? Is that your excuse? "Honest officer.... I didn't really mean to threaten to "rip his life apart", it was just in the "heat of the argument" which makes it perfectly acceptable behavior, right?"

And out of curiousity, please go back and show me where you have EVER "whooped my ass".

Oddly enough, it was you who came sniveling to me in a PM just the other night and said (replete with misspellings):

Gee whiz, Maineman... "I have pleged to myself to be more patient and tolerant of your opinions... Although we are on different sides of the fence. you do make some very legitamate and interesting points at times.."
Gosh Maineman....can't we be friends?????
:lol:

the answer is no.

And the avatar is me... on top of Cheops (that is the great pyramid, for illiterate bumpkins like you), it is Kefron, the second biggest pyramid, behind me... and the man behind the camera is George Casey... recording an event that you can only dream of doing.

loser.

LOL

They have a right to refuse a funeral service, that they originally promised. I have a right to point it out, as being wrong, IMO.

And everyone is bigotted ...

Thank you. Yes, I agree this move by the Church was rooted more in bigotry, than in some "principled" adherence to biblical principles. I'm sure fat people, and people who have sex outside of marriage with girlfriends and boyfriends are afforded funerals at this church.

Plus, this guy was a war veteran, who helped save the life of american pilots. Can the church look at his whole life as a human, and forgive whatever sins he may have had?

your attack on this church is bigotry on your part ... and not considering homosexuality normal behavior does NOT require anyone to be homophobic. That's just a convenient, dismissive label used by homosexuals and those who support their agenda.

Pointing out bigotry, is bigotry? I think not. I take the side of Jesus on this one: I'm pretty darn sure that if Jesus promised a funeral to a prostitute or a gay man, he would have honored that promise.

Actually that quote from 1 Corinthians 5 would be applied to the apostate congregations who choose to accept such sinful acts and the unrepentant sinners. It's easy to take a sound bite and run with it, but when put in context, it is a warning to the Church not to accept sinful action, nor the unrepentant sinner into their company. Rather, the Church is to ostracize the unrepentant sinners (remove them from the congregations) and let God deal with them.

I'd recommend people read 1 Corinthians 5 focusing on verses 9 through 13 for the quote in context.

Actually, I was referring to Matthew 7:1, not Corinthians.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mk. 4.24

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

http://www.bartleby.com/108/40/7.html

Frankly, I'm more interested in the words that were in keeping with Jesus' teachings and not the musings of Paul of Tarsus. And as you know, it was Jesus who protected the adulteror, no?

I'd suggest it is you who are being selective.

Jillian, the two passages support each other, they are not contradictory. Christians ARE supposed to judge others actions, but not to condemn the person. Rather, Christians are to exclude the unrepentant from their congregation and leave their judgment (punishment) to God. The passage you cited is a warning to Christians against hubris - only God has the right and the authority to condemn (Holy judgment). Christians are still called to make judgments (decisions) and act accordingly to protect the Church (congregation) from becoming apostate.

Does this mean that Christians should avoid homosexuals (any sinners for that matter) entirely? No. And following the teachings of Jesus, Christians should walk, talk and break bread with the sinners, hoping to help them find God's Truth and repent their sins.

We are at war we need to kill the enemy... Babies are not a threat... liberals are.

asinine posts like this, written for shock value, do nothing to advance the debate, and really tend to degrade the relevance of its writer...

suggesting that American polity should be advanced by killing fellow citizens with whom you disagree really causes all of your stated thoughts to be suspect.

Because some of us care about that.

Find another church. If I or anyone else chooses to associate with like-minded people, and not associate with people whose beliefs are contrary, that is our right.

How exactly?

You are singling out people based on their beliefs, and criticizing them for not believing as you do. Bigotry doesn't work just one way, in your favor.

No, but acting on that and denying goods/services/whatever to people based on their homosexuality is homophobia. And yes its a dismissive label, I do tend to condescend towards stupid behavior.

Incorrect. Homophobia requires a fear or antipathy of homosexuality. Considering abnormal behavior abnormal does not. Neither does refusing to cater to it if it is contrary to your beliefs.

It's a dismissive label used in lieu of a logical argument. As you so readily admit in your last sentence, you aren't listening. You've decided anyone who doesn't believe the same as you in regard to homosexuals is stupid.

And you would be quite wrong, not to mention bigotted for doing so.

Forum List

Back