Church denies funeral to gay man

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
TAMPA, FL (WFLA) - Julie Atwood was standing at her son's casket when the phone rang. The church where her son's funeral was scheduled to be held the next day decided to abruptly cancel the service, after the pastor learned the deceased was gay and his obituary listed a surviving "husband."

Atwood said she was told it would be "blasphemous" to hold the services at the church because her son, Julion Evans, 42, was gay.

He says the obituary named him as "husband," and that their marriage was no secret.

But when the obituary published in the local newspaper, everything changed.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obit and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."

Church denies funeral to gay man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Good on the church. If a guy chooses to have his salad tossed with a chicken, I'm OK with that. Have at it and be safe

But when said Chicken molester wants to marry his victim and receive the benefits of such union, I have a real problem with. We have to draw the line somewhere. No pun or insult intended to red lines

-Geaux

TAMPA, FL (WFLA) - Julie Atwood was standing at her son's casket when the phone rang. The church where her son's funeral was scheduled to be held the next day decided to abruptly cancel the service, after the pastor learned the deceased was gay and his obituary listed a surviving "husband."

Atwood said she was told it would be "blasphemous" to hold the services at the church because her son, Julion Evans, 42, was gay.

He says the obituary named him as "husband," and that their marriage was no secret.

But when the obituary published in the local newspaper, everything changed.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obit and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."

Church denies funeral to gay man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

They should have checked.

No REAL Christian would agree to this. The preacher and the church are going against the teachings of Jesus.

I also wonder why any gay Christian would attend fake church like this one.

Too bad there's no such thing as "god" cuz if there was, that slimy preacher is going to hell and wil be rooming with other slime - like gizmo.

Just because you are religious does not mean you are here to benefit all of Gods creations...There are those with a hard hearts and hate fills their sermons...This church as are many others are like this...

church doesn't want to , well church shouldn't have to . Course church will be sued I guess .

10300276_10152336664011275_658219944289941009_n.png

awww , that's some Methodist churches opinion and they are welcome to it . Course opinions are like arseholes and everybody has one . The important thing is whether these Methodists have the freedom / right to deny funerals for gay people if they want to deny Luddley .

yeah , just their opinion as if Methodists know what GOD prefers .

Besides, why would a fudge packer want a Christian funeral?

When the Bible clearly says that sodomites are an abomination and are to be stoned to death. ... :cool:

If the church doesn't allow it, then the queers should find another church.
It wouldn't be allowed in my church (Catholic).
Two men porking, sucking/fucking .... tsk tsk

They need to get to confession.

That sin is no worse than any of the other sins...

Now that this church has aligned themselves next to the Westbro Baptist Church, they might as well start producing protest signs reading, "God hates dead soldiers".

This is not even close to Westboro.

Whats going to happen next is activists will try to find out who is a member of the church and pressure them to quit it "or else"

The only strong arm tactics will come from the "gay" side, not this church.

No REAL Christian would agree to this. The preacher and the church are going against the teachings of Jesus.

I also wonder why any gay Christian would attend fake church like this one.

Too bad there's no such thing as "god" cuz if there was, that slimy preacher is going to hell and wil be rooming with other slime - like gizmo.

As usual, on this subject Luddly, you are wrong!

This church actually seems to be a Christian Church. and if people who love their sin don't like it, well, that's just the way it is.

A true Christian Church, will stand behind the convictions of Christ.

And no, this preacher and Gis are not going to your mother's basement, where you hang out all day. :D

Have a nice day
USA

Now that this church has aligned themselves next to the Westbro Baptist Church, they might as well start producing protest signs reading, "God hates dead soldiers".

This church is actually right. Westboro is really mis-lead in their beliefs.

Consider this, bestiality is punished less harshly in the Bible, than homosexual acts. Why is that? Because at least the animal has no choice in the matter.

People don't like hearing the truth, but that is the truth. If you don't believe me, I can find the Scripture and point it out.

That sin is no worse than any of the other sins...

Wrong again.

Though a homosexual act is no worse than adultery, as far as being a sin is concerned, a homosexual marriage, means the man was living in his sin. Just as if a son had married his father's wife. That too, would be grounds not to let a person lay in state, or have a funeral ceremony at a Christian Church.

Forum List

Back