San Francisco leaders want taxpayers to pay for green cards, citizenship

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
This is wrong on so many levels. Using taxpayer money to subsidize the fees immigrants pay to be here legally? WTF?

S.F. supes extend helping hand to immigrants
Joshua Sabatini, The Examiner
2007-08-09 07:00:00.0

SAN FRANCISCO - As immigrants face skyrocketing application fees from the federal government, a new proposal by Supervisor Chris Daly could give financial assistance to those applying for citizenship.

Under a new fee structure the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services implemented last week, an immigrant applying for a green card would pay $930, an increase of $605. Other fees that increased were citizenship applications, which went from $330 to $595.

Daly requested on Tuesday that the city attorney draft legislation to create a plan to provide city subsidies to immigrants applying for citizenship, green cards and petitions for relatives, and workers. He has also requested an analysis of the total cost immigrants in San Francisco pay for such services.

Daly said the fee increases raise concerns that immigrants “cannot obtain safe pathways to legal immigrant status and citizenship” and “further exacerbates pressures on families, increasing stress.”

In further support given to immigrants, Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval introduced a resolution Tuesday condemning the “defamatory language used by radio personality Michael Savage against immigrants.” Sandoval’s resolution comes after Savage’s July 5 broadcast, during which he made a number of comments involving a group of students who were fasting to advocate for immigration policy changes. Savage said, “I would say, let them fast until they starve to death, then that solves the problem.” The resolution calls the comments “symbolic of hatred and racism.”

“I really for the life of me cannot understand why there is not more media outrage to what Michael Savage said,” Sandoval said. He plans on holding a press conference on the steps of City Hall this Tuesday prior to the Board of Supervisors vote on the resolution. “The intolerant and racist comments of Michael Savage demand a strong condemnation,” Sandoval said.

San Francisco leaders want taxpayers to pay for green cards, citizenship

It seems that not many of the Herald readers like the idea of taxpayer money going to subsidize green cards, citizenship papers, etc., nor do many of them have a problem with what Michael Savage had to say. The comments section makes for entertaining reading.

Wow, somehow I thought this might resonate with people of any political persuasion. Go figure.

If the city decides to use city funds, then the citizens who pay taxes in that city have a choice to make. They can stay and pay the tax or they can move.

If the city tries to use federal funds for that, then I guess that wold be a different matter entirely.

I hope Savage takes him up on his offer.

Me too. It's time to fight the anti-free speech liberals.

As Savage said in your link:

"Illiberalism is not only a mental disorder it is fascist at its core,” the mega-popular talk show host told NewsMax.com. "This schmuck says my comments are 'symbolic of hatred and racism.' And they want the City to sue me for 'symbolism.'

"There is no basis in American Law for such a suit but the larger point is the astonishing hate speech he is engaging in. To stop opinion by threatening legal action is akin to using the power of the State to control thought and speech.”

This, Savage fumed "is something out of Kafka and the ex-Soviet Union. Moreover, this illegitimi is working on behalf of a foreign government against an American Citizen.

Me too. It's time to fight the anti-free speech liberals.

As Savage said in your link:

You are urging someone to sue someone else for their speech on the basis of wanting to fight anti-free speech liberals. You do, I hope, get the irony.

You are urging someone to sue someone else for their speech on the basis of wanting to fight anti-free speech liberals. You do, I hope, get the irony.

When a Government authority makes a statement and works to silence a person THAT is not a first amendment speech issue, it is an issue of the Government violating first amendment rights.

Forum List

Back